Author Topic: Stainless steel rebar  (Read 1751 times)

Offline pritch

Stainless steel rebar
« on: October 28, 2012, 01:44:50 AM »
You don't see this every day. In fact, I've been in concrete construction for 30 years and this is the first I've ever seen. The Utahliban has started using this when they replace highway bridges, instead of that green epoxy-coated stuff. Our tax dollars at work, I guess. I can't even imagine how expensive it is.

My friend works for the State, and he got some of these pieces of drop and gave a couple to me. This is #5 bar-rebar used to go by eighths, but now it's metric, hence the 16.  I also have a #9, but it's only about an inch long. From my understanding, this is used primarily in the footings under MRI machines in hospitals.

Offline OilyRascal

• Contributor
    • Facebook Profile
Re: Stainless steel rebar
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2012, 05:51:57 AM »
Looks like some nice grill building material :-)
"FORGED IN THE USA" myself.  Be good to your tools!

Garden and Yard Rustfinder Extraordinaire!
http://www.papawswrench.com/vboard/index.php?topic=3717

Offline mikeswrenches

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2012, 07:12:11 AM »
Like most things of this nature there is good news and bad news.

The bad news is it gives your local thieves something more to steal.  The good news is that it's going to be difficult carrying much of it on your bicycle.  In Florida, anyway, bicycles seem to be the transportation method of choice for these guys.

Mike
Check out my ETSY store at: OldeTymeTools

Offline rusty

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2012, 07:15:41 AM »
I think ss rebar started with the nuclear power industry, it's  nice because it takes longer to corrode and ruin the concrete, but it does eventually corrode. Up here the concrete usually fails first from the road salt tho.
The newest latest and greatest is fiberglass rebar, never rusts, isn't magnetic, doesn't form radioactive isotopes, and is totally worthless when swiped from a jobsite.

Oh,yes...I also see the burger cooker from hell coming...;P
Just a weathered light rust/WD40 mix patina.

Offline Fins/413

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2012, 11:57:06 AM »
Seems like a good idea especially in the states that use a lot of salt on roads.
1959 Chrysler New Yorker
1982 E150 Ford van

Offline john k

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2012, 12:09:03 PM »
After that spectacular bridge failure in Minnesota a few years back, I think the Department of Roads is taking that extra step to make the bridges last longer before falling down.   More money sure, but would think it ought to add at least 10 years to a bridge. 
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Offline fflintstone

• Former master curmudgeon
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2012, 06:57:19 PM »
I had never seen that before

Offline Aunt Phil

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2012, 12:53:36 AM »
You can rest assured ss rebar has a projected life cost 10 times the cost of putting a DC charge on the rebar to prevent rusting & spalling.

You can also bet WR Grace will not be involved in the job and crews of Laborers will be employed to jackhammer existing decking away rather than hydroblasting the deck down to rebar in hours.

Spending taxpayer dollars is so much fun, and all you need to do is make work.
Timing has a lot to do with the outcome of a rain dance!

Offline rusty

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2012, 04:47:01 PM »

Heh..well, there are bridges here that were built in the early 1800's. They are in great condition.

They have no rebar, no concrete...they are made from granite blocks , cut precisely to size and fitted into place.....

Progress....
Just a weathered light rust/WD40 mix patina.

Offline 1930

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2012, 05:08:27 PM »

Heh..well, there are bridges here that were built in the early 1800's. They are in great condition.

They have no rebar, no concrete...they are made from granite blocks , cut precisely to size and fitted into place.....

Progress....
Exactly
Always looking for what interests me, anything early Dodge Brothers/Graham Brothers trucks ( pre 1932 or so ) and slant six / Super six parts.

Offline Aunt Phil

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2012, 10:39:09 PM »

Progress....

Dammit Rusty, get off the computer, drive to the nearest granite bridge, glove gown & respirator up and take samples so them rocks can be tested for lead and asbestos.

You could be preventing some dullard rugrat from growing up completely stupid and needing government employment.

Hmmm, Rochester has a big granite bridge or 3, and lots of stewpudd people.
I may be a little busy getting a rumor started.
Timing has a lot to do with the outcome of a rain dance!

Offline geneg

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2012, 09:24:42 AM »
First job out of college was at a Nuclear power plant being constructed.  All of the rebar in the fuel handling building was ss.  BTW, the project was never finished and is currently being torn down for salvage.