Author Topic: Checking IN Time....  (Read 2310 times)

Offline dimwittedmoose51

• Contributor
Checking IN Time....
« on: April 27, 2012, 03:16:01 AM »
Been in a parallel tool universe the past week or two, so let me dish out a couple of excuses for not posting anything, cuz there's been plenty goin' on up here.

Tool Yard Sale 4/14-Guy was selling off a widow's hussband's tool stash and he way under priced some stuff, like dual swivel socket head FH series Snap Ons  $10 fo a set of 4(date code mid 50's).  I also finally snagged a US made Craftsman table saw(1967) and a bunch of fences and blades for a C-note(sdorry, no photos this round)

4/18- Went to my first Storage Auction and what a zoo.  500 folks at the start trying to peek in 15 storage units and look for that Holy Grail of lockers.  I guess they thought they were going to be on TV or something.  With nothing but crap visible to the naked eye, some lockers were going fo upwards of $900.  Only saw one with tools in it. By the time we were down to the last unit, the crowd was closer to 75.

4/19-21- My first crack aty selling at a Flea Market in Waterloo. A gal named Shirley runs the hsow and she was very helpful in getting me acclimated to the new gig. 25x25' grassy space for $15 for ALL 3 days.  Thursday was pretty much rained out, so I went over to the other tool sellers and raided their stashes to the tune of about $30 worth.  Found a couple nice SK rats, some Snap On, A really nice Pebble Proto 1/2" rat, and a slew of unique(to me) pliers. Friday I set up(I didn't have the big tents like the "pros") and sold maybe 60-80 bucks worth of stuff, but then went shopping again and found some more goodies.  Saturday was cold, but that didn't stop the folks from coing.  Slow steady shopping traffic and I prolly moved another $200 worth of stuff beforre the rain came about 2PM and everybody started packing for home.  One last raiding of the sellers and home I went.

4/23-  General Auction in Raymond with "nice selection of hand tools".  Drove out to look and maybe sign up for bidding, and there was Oily Rascal's dream stash:  An honest to goodness Thorsen Green Crackle finish tool box with the drop down front flap like the old Plombs(and others I'm sure). and although it was a tad crusty on the bottom, the top was near immaculate.  Also a fair number of old Thorsen tools in great shape as well.  No photos, I'll let Oily showcase his new nuggets when they arrive in the mail.  I also found several Wizard items for his dad's collection over the past week or two.  Also scored a pair of pouches of old V-series Craftsman DBE's and DOE's in immacvul;ate condition, although the pouches have seen better days.  I'll put up some photos tomorrow, but I need to get to bed.

DM&FS

Champion Pawn/Flea Plunderer
Old Tools and Music.....My drugs of choice

Offline Nolatoolguy

Re: Checking IN Time....
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2012, 02:49:34 PM »
Sounds like you have been very busy.

Those storage auctions can be crazy.
And I'm proud to be an American,
where at least I know I'm free.
And I won't forget the men who died,
who gave that right to me.
~Lee Greenwood

Offline john k

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2012, 08:28:39 PM »
Standing in the rain, thats awful, and raining on old tools, darn, thats just wrong.   Fleas can be lots of fun, as many different personalities as there is stuff.  Not sure if I like the first day, when the pickings are real good, or the last day when people want to sell rather than drag it home, again.    I figured the storage locker sale would be nuts with that tv show building it up, I've only been to one, but the mice had been in everything first.  Today I tried to find a garage sale, but the 40mph winds were pushing the signs down the street, never did get to one.   Glad the first go was a fairly good one.  Remember, take a friend, and a comfy lawn chair!
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Offline dimwittedmoose51

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2012, 09:22:23 PM »
John:  I wasn't organized enough to have time to sit down!!  And no space in the van for a chair.  If I sat,l it was on the floor by the sliding door of the van...and that was to price more stuff.  A tarp to cover things overnight will be on the list for next time.  I brought the high dollar stuff inside the van.  The guy with the high tool prices also had the nicest display.  Didn't catch his name, but I got on a pliers binge in his tent on Saturday afternoon....well, better load the photo(s)  and document everything.

DM&FS

Offline dimwittedmoose51

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2012, 08:46:06 AM »
Photo time :
Top set:  A couple of Auto tool socket sets, A Snap ON BF-608 body hammer, 2 US NAPA screwdrivers and an older yellow handled New Briain.Goddell-Pratt driver,

Next set: Blue Point DBE, Indestro Super 6272 3/8" rat, Powr-Kraft 3/8" rat(really old???)4820-00, a micro Armstrong NM-51 1/4" rat, 6 in1 Johnstone screwdriver,

Pliers Row(yeah I went a little crazy on pliers)Whitakere , Cornwell, and Merit Battery pliers, Barcalo Buffalo pliers and 90 degree pliers, Indestro super 2140, Pennens 3246, Bridge Tool, Powr-Kraft 84-4652D, Tiger(my 2nd pr.), and a rusty pr. that say MH with a circle around it.  MAC circuit tester.

Bottom-  MIllers Falls Hand drill and a decent set of DuroChrome skinny spanners.

Proto photo: a nice 1/2" Pebble Rat and a little adjustable wrench.

The Craftsman V Series stuff came from the most recent auction and these babies are like brand new.  Even the cases cleaned up nicely, but the DOEs are missing the 3/8"x7/16"

Anyone know anything about this Columbian 6C wood vise??.  It appears to still have it's original wood handle.

And a last close up photo which was the find of the weekend for 50 cents, an NM-51 Armstrong oldie 1/4" drive rat with the older "arm' logo on it.

Thanks all,  more stuff after the WLGS in 7 days.

Offline johnsironsanctuary

• Contributor
  • Super Contributor and Geezer in training
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2012, 11:00:15 AM »
Nice score Moose! I especially like the little Armstrong rat. At your current rate of acquisitions, when is your projected date for having to move to larger quarters?
Top monkey of the monkey wrench clan

Offline dimwittedmoose51

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2012, 01:53:41 PM »
Nice score Moose! I especially like the little Armstrong rat. At your current rate of acquisitions, when is your projected date for having to move to larger quarters?

When the rafters in the shop collapse!!

Offline Branson

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2012, 06:29:13 PM »
The handle on your vise looks like the handle on my Columbia wood working vise.   Mine is a little different, different model, but much the same construction as yours.

Offline OilyRascal

• Contributor
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2012, 06:54:02 PM »
You scored lots of nice tools.  I don't think it's uncommon to find but I really like the Proto ratchet in pebble finish.  I need to find me one someday.  The Armstrong NM-51 1/4" ratchet you're going to like - if you'd give it a shot as a user.  Since I've had mine I use it just about every time I reach for a 1/4 drive......especially when I need it short.  I can't wait to see the Thorsen toolbox.

I think you (probably with a large supporting role from your other) have done well.  I'm not sure I want to ask about this wooden boat, but I will.  Please post a thread - off topic, or shoot an email - I'm interested to hear the story.  Best regards,
"FORGED IN THE USA" myself.  Be good to your tools!

Garden and Yard Rustfinder Extraordinaire!
http://www.papawswrench.com/vboard/index.php?topic=3717