Author Topic: So much for that  (Read 7807 times)

Offline Nolatoolguy

So much for that
« on: April 20, 2012, 05:37:01 PM »
I was browsing craigslist, found a guy selling some Matco tools on craigslist. I called and scheduled to meet up with him.

We met up outside his arpartment complex. All is well. I approach the person and I cant remember my exact words but I respectfully introduced myself and said we spoke earlier on the phone about some matco tools. The first words out of his mouth were "you aint old enough to know what to do with them get outa here" I then said "sirr ime very intrested I have cash with me an can take them off your hands today" He then said "go" That was that I just left.

Ime just a little irrtated, how I sometimes get treated like garbage for my age and intrest in tools. I know that I am only 17 but when I walk into a pawnshop or meet a guy off craigslist it would be nice if I get some respect. Normally all is fine and sometimes we get into a little chat about my intrest so young. However sometimes I get responses like that, this being the worst.

I understand if I was going to buy a pair of bolt cutters or cutting torch or something that might be a little odd. Thats never been the case thoe.

Isnt my cash just as green as someone elses cash?
And I'm proud to be an American,
where at least I know I'm free.
And I won't forget the men who died,
who gave that right to me.
~Lee Greenwood

Offline Papaw

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Alvin, Texas
    • Papawswrench
Re: So much for that
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2012, 05:45:44 PM »
If it is any consolation, Neil, I get about the same if I go into a computer store. Some of them seem to think a near seventy year old gray bearded fat guy doesn't know enough about computers to even be worth talking to.

In  the end, it was his loss, not yours.
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Flickr page- https://www.flickr.com/photos/nhankamer/

Offline OilyRascal

• Contributor
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2012, 05:52:55 PM »
I think you have a great approach in "small talk" about tools and your interest up front.  I'd say that should be more than plenty introduction of yourself and your interest in tools - whatever your age.  I can only imagine if somebody told me I'm to old at 40 to collect a Hot Wheels.

I'd chalk it up, learn you'll likely deal with a prick from time to time, and move on.  I respect the fact you just left and didn't try to justify yourself any further or argue the guy into reason.

If anybody tells you that cash isn't as good as the next guys, please mail it all to me and I will give you a second opinion :)

"FORGED IN THE USA" myself.  Be good to your tools!

Garden and Yard Rustfinder Extraordinaire!
http://www.papawswrench.com/vboard/index.php?topic=3717

Offline 1930

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2012, 06:50:53 PM »
I was browsing craigslist, found a guy selling some Matco tools on craigslist. I called and scheduled to meet up with him.

We met up outside his arpartment complex. All is well. I approach the person and I cant remember my exact words but I respectfully introduced myself and said we spoke earlier on the phone about some matco tools. The first words out of his mouth were "you aint old enough to know what to do with them get outa here" I then said "sirr ime very intrested I have cash with me an can take them off your hands today" He then said "go" That was that I just left.

Ime just a little irrtated, how I sometimes get treated like garbage for my age and intrest in tools. I know that I am only 17 but when I walk into a pawnshop or meet a guy off craigslist it would be nice if I get some respect. Normally all is fine and sometimes we get into a little chat about my intrest so young. However sometimes I get responses like that, this being the worst.

I understand if I was going to buy a pair of bolt cutters or cutting torch or something that might be a little odd. Thats never been the case thoe.

Isnt my cash just as green as someone elses cash?
Im old enough to know what a nice feeling it is too have someone think your too young for something, someday you will understand what I mean.
Always looking for what interests me, anything early Dodge Brothers/Graham Brothers trucks ( pre 1932 or so ) and slant six / Super six parts.

Offline john k

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2012, 10:20:34 PM »
Being a person that started working on cars for real at age 14, people like this make me scratch my head.   Grouchy, who knows, maybe they were hot?  I have a feeling you don't dress like some 17 year olds either, punched ears, pants hanging down, stuff that can set off some older people.   Who knows, shove your money back in your wallet and go elsewhere.   What you looking for exactly in good tools?   
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Offline keykeeper

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2012, 11:22:53 PM »
Your showed restraint by just walking away and letting it go.

Sounds to me like the guy was named Richard Cranium (I'll explain it by PM if you don't know what that means.

The good thing is, there will be more tools for you to buy.....he might not have anymore buyers though to sell to. Like was said before...his loss.

I had a similar experience earlier this week trying to buy a well used, worn out truck. Some people are just impossible to deal with.
-Aaron C.

My vintage tool Want list:
Wards Master Quality 1/2" drive sockets (Need size 5/8), long extension, & speeder handle.
-Vlchek WB* series double box wrenches.
-Hinsdale double-box end round shank wrenches.

Offline Nolatoolguy

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2012, 12:08:37 AM »
Thanks guys sometimes it helps to hear it from others.

I just respectfully walked away even thoe I didnt want to. I dont know the guy and after questioning once with his tone I couldnt tell what to do. Last thing I want is some guy going crazy on me. I know thats a slim chance but I usually play it safe with stuff like that.

I went over there stright from school was wearing jeans, button down shirt, an boots. According to a few at school I dont have "cool swag". Oh well I trually dont think other random people need to see my boxers wherever I go.

Ide like to think there not hot cause he had quite a assortment in the pictures. But that doesnt mean anything.

As he had a assortment I was really intrested in 1/4 socket set,metric flex head wrenches, pick set, scraper set, bit sockets, and swivel sockets,  The add said you can pick and choose what you want.

I am in no big rush to get them but I saw the add at a great price and couldnt pass it up. It was still expensive for me but not a bad price and ime sure someone else would snatch them up. I have a pretty good set right now, a few members on tooltalk have helped me complete my set of user tools. Even thoe I have the basics I would like to get the more specilized ietams as time goes on and moeny allows. I know I could go buy everything at harbor freight now but I beleive in a a higher quailty product and I have had a few problems with harbor freights quailty. Sometimes you get what you pay for.
And I'm proud to be an American,
where at least I know I'm free.
And I won't forget the men who died,
who gave that right to me.
~Lee Greenwood

Offline Aunt Phil

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2012, 02:37:47 AM »
At 17 you can make a decision that will either save you a lot of time in life, or let other people eat your life for no compensation. 

I pretty much advocate initiating conversations as politely as possible, hell I even say please and thankyou to waitresses.  About 90% of the time things will go well with that approach.
Been doing pretty much that for over 6 decades with good results.

You are going to run onto a certain percentage of people along life's road who cannot listen, won't hear and refuse to learn.  Many of them are management types.  You learn to calculate how the transaction is going to flow within a few minutes.  If it doesn't appear it will be profitable, walk away.  As you do thank the fool for his time, get in your pickup and drive off in a reasonable manner.   Being more than 3 times your age I generally hand the fool 3 of my business cards, but you're a little young.  If he asks why 3 I'll tell him 1 is to rip up and fling at me or on the ground, the second is for him to throw in the trash, and the third he will slip in his desk so he has my number handy if and when he gets smart.  About half gt smart, and I generally charge them extra.

There wasn't a damn thing you could have done to change the result, and there's no point to grinding your gut over it. 

If you think on it a bit you walked into a bad situation.  Some guy selling his Matco tools from his apartment has probably already bottomed out in this economy, figured out he'll never come back and is selling the tools of his trade to survive another month.  Had I been in your shoes I probably would have gotten similar treatment. 

His problems are his, and they'll be worse next week.  Ain't much point to either of us making his problem ours. 
Timing has a lot to do with the outcome of a rain dance!

Offline 1930

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2012, 02:48:31 AM »

I had a similar experience earlier this week trying to buy a well used, worn out truck. Some people are just impossible to deal with.
Cant just leave it hangin at that, my ears are burnin
Always looking for what interests me, anything early Dodge Brothers/Graham Brothers trucks ( pre 1932 or so ) and slant six / Super six parts.

Offline amertrac

• Contributor
  • ny mountain man
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2012, 04:07:58 AM »

[/quote
well 1930 as for me I find you one of the most difficult person I ever dealt with.     bob w.

just kidding
TO SOON ULD UND TO LATE SCHMART

Offline bgarrett

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2012, 06:24:33 AM »
There has been several times when I wondered why my money wasnt as good as someone elses

Offline keykeeper

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2012, 06:59:41 AM »

Ok, 1930, here we go then:

I saved up a little money to buy a cheap truck to use strictly for occasional hauling, and to cart my butt back and forth to work (short commute). Found a truck on ebay motors within 30 minutes of my house. They stated in their ad, and I quote "MAKE ME AN OFFER!  NO REASONABLE OFFER REFUSED!!!! So, loaded up the wife and child, drove up, met the seller, checked out the truck, test drove it, etc. Now mind you, this vehicle had 224K miles, 4 BALD tires, damage to the passenger side door and cab, rusting out tailgate, etc. It was WELL used, to say the least.

So, I made a reasonable offer, about $500 less than their starting price. Turned out after some more discussion, this crazy b---h thought that a "reasonable offer" should be $600 or so OVER her starting price on the eBay listing. I had more $$ in my pocket, but quickly realized they weren't gonna deal for anything under their start price. She kept throwing "This truck books for 'this much money' on Kelly Blue Book" at me.

I actually came right out and asked her "So, your idea of "reasonable offer" would be MORE than what I could just bid and buy it for??????? ----- "YEP" was her reply, "It'll take AT LEAST XX amount to buy this truck!"

My wife and I just looked at each other, my wifes says "Well, we're done then", and we walked away, got in the car, and left.

She called me about 20 minutes later on my cell, after she talked with her husband about it, and offered it to me for just a few bucks over their starting price. I wouldn't even talk to the witch, I made my wife answer the phone, then we left them hanging on a return call. I was DONE trying, at that point.

Her husband wasn't there when I looked at it. I'd probably own it right now if he had been. She was just being greedy, I think. Trying to squeeze more out of me, it seemed.

The truck ended up selling at their start price. After fees for the sale, they didn't even net what they offered it to me for after I left that evening, which was literally $5 over their start price. Evidently, the uncertainty of getting a bid in the last five minutes of that stinking auction was worth more than the CASH I had in hand when I looked at the damn truck.

I'm still dumbfounded over the whole affair.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2012, 07:04:36 AM by keykeeper »
-Aaron C.

My vintage tool Want list:
Wards Master Quality 1/2" drive sockets (Need size 5/8), long extension, & speeder handle.
-Vlchek WB* series double box wrenches.
-Hinsdale double-box end round shank wrenches.

Offline Branson

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2012, 08:23:35 AM »
Aunt Phil gave a great response:

>There wasn't a damn thing you could have done to change the result, and there's no point to grinding your gut over it.

>His problems are his, and they'll be worse next week.  Ain't much point to either of us making his problem ours.

Yep.  He's the problem, not you, not your age. 

What a jerk!   You don't want to reward him with your money.  If I lived in your area, I'd want to know who he was so that I wouldn't reward him with my money after the way he treated you.  You always show yourself as a sincere person, interested in learning, and interested in working.  What a jerk!

Offline 1930

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2012, 10:05:04 AM »

Ok, 1930, here we go then:

I saved up a little money to buy a cheap truck to use strictly for occasional hauling, and to cart my butt back and forth to work (short commute). Found a truck on ebay motors within 30 minutes of my house. They stated in their ad, and I quote "MAKE ME AN OFFER!  NO REASONABLE OFFER REFUSED!!!! So, loaded up the wife and child, drove up, met the seller, checked out the truck, test drove it, etc. Now mind you, this vehicle had 224K miles, 4 BALD tires, damage to the passenger side door and cab, rusting out tailgate, etc. It was WELL used, to say the least.

So, I made a reasonable offer, about $500 less than their starting price. Turned out after some more discussion, this crazy b---h thought that a "reasonable offer" should be $600 or so OVER her starting price on the eBay listing. I had more $$ in my pocket, but quickly realized they weren't gonna deal for anything under their start price. She kept throwing "This truck books for 'this much money' on Kelly Blue Book" at me.

I actually came right out and asked her "So, your idea of "reasonable offer" would be MORE than what I could just bid and buy it for??????? ----- "YEP" was her reply, "It'll take AT LEAST XX amount to buy this truck!"

My wife and I just looked at each other, my wifes says "Well, we're done then", and we walked away, got in the car, and left.

She called me about 20 minutes later on my cell, after she talked with her husband about it, and offered it to me for just a few bucks over their starting price. I wouldn't even talk to the witch, I made my wife answer the phone, then we left them hanging on a return call. I was DONE trying, at that point.

Her husband wasn't there when I looked at it. I'd probably own it right now if he had been. She was just being greedy, I think. Trying to squeeze more out of me, it seemed.

The truck ended up selling at their start price. After fees for the sale, they didn't even net what they offered it to me for after I left that evening, which was literally $5 over their start price. Evidently, the uncertainty of getting a bid in the last five minutes of that stinking auction was worth more than the CASH I had in hand when I looked at the damn truck.

I'm still dumbfounded over the whole affair.
Year make and model Please.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2012, 10:10:56 AM by 1930 »

Offline rusty

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2012, 11:44:35 AM »
>Year make and model Please.
>occasional hauling, and to cart my butt back and forth to work

Proly a 54 pickup with a posi rear end and a overbored 350 with a supercharger....
(ducking)
Just a weathered light rust/WD40 mix patina.