Author Topic: Railroad Jack?  (Read 13583 times)

Offline pritch

Railroad Jack?
« on: February 11, 2012, 10:05:29 PM »
I've had this jack for more years than I care to remember, I'm not even sure where it came from. I call it "Ol' Useless". I have a friend that used to work for the U.P., and he calls it a railroad jack, but he says it's half-size, that RR jacks are 10 ton and mine is 5 ton.

It is exactly the wrong size for any and every project. Just today, I had a heavy load of scrap iron in my truck and I needed to unhook my trailer, but I couldn't get the trailer jack down and locked, so I dug out Ol' Useless to jack up the trailer some so I could get the leg down, and of course, it was 1 click too short. 10 inches of travel and that's either too much or not enough.

Offline Ietech

• "OLD GUYS RULE"
Re: Railroad Jack?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2012, 10:12:56 PM »
Maybe it was for narrow gauge railroad, or mining ore cars. The tracks were narrower.  Maybe to control the center of gravity of the train the diameter of the wheels was smaller, the height of the cars was smaller, thus the distance to the ground below the train would be reduced to less than standard gauge.

Just a thought tho - really don't know.
Rich

Edit: I Googled the Simplex 85a 5 ton and yes it is a RR jack.  If it was an 86a 5 ton it would go higher than 10"
Quote: Simplex ratchet jacks are widely used in oil fields, shipyards, mining operations, construction, railroads, and heavy-duty industrial maintenance.
http://www.jackxchange.com/products/84A.cfm

« Last Edit: February 11, 2012, 11:28:15 PM by Ietech »
Newest member of PHARTS -  Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Offline john k

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2012, 11:37:48 PM »
If one were to set it on a wood block, it would easily jack up a tractor axle.  I have a ten ton, sure wish mine had a carry handle.  Also be good to jacking up a temporary building, on skids, for instance.
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Offline anglesmith

• Mid Northcoast NSW Australia
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2012, 12:30:42 AM »
In early days they also use  these to lift up the track to take out a sleeper (tie) or pack under sleepers with a beater pick.
Graeme

Offline pritch

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2012, 01:00:31 AM »
Yeah-I'm too hard on it. I have used it many times, usually dangerously, like jacking up a roof or floor joists on re-models and things. It just seems like for most household and automotive purposes, it's just wrong. Either too tall to go under or too short to lift enough.

Offline anglesmith

• Mid Northcoast NSW Australia
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2012, 01:09:01 AM »
I ment also to ask where abouts you are, it looks very dry? I hope  you have had some rain since the photo was taken!
Graeme.

Offline Neals

• Contributor
  • Alberta, Canada
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2012, 04:05:24 AM »
Never seen one with a handle like that. I've seen and used no carry handle ones, a different handle and aluminium ones all marked Simplex. The aluminum are less than 1/2 the weight and for that reason my favorite.

Offline pritch

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2012, 02:02:45 PM »
We have been having a very dry winter, anglesmith. I took those pictures yesterday, today there is a good 4" of wet, heavy snow in the yard. If you don't like the weather here, just wait five minutes!

Online geneg

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2012, 03:28:25 PM »
Generically, it is a railroad jack.  That's what I've called them & heard them called that for all of my life.  When I won a 12" tall one at an auction, I called it that and one of the old boy tool collectors said that it was a foot jack.  If its yours, call it what you want.   I've used mine for vehicles, buildings, tractors, farm equipment, jackstands and about every other jack use except railroad work.  I'll try to get some shots of mine tomorrow.  Seems like I can't pass one up at an auction or tag sale.

Offline kxxr

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2012, 03:30:27 PM »
I'm sure they had other uses, but as late as 1978 these kind of jacks were used to lift rail; ties and all, in order to re-tamp the ballast underneath a sinking tie or string of ties. As already mentioned, a damaged tie can be unspiked and pulled out with tie tongs and replaced once you have the whole works lifted with one of these jacks. Grueling work. The tamping bar also served as the jack handle. I'm sure they are still in use for this purpose on small jobs, even on main line.

Offline Aunt Phil

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2012, 12:01:18 AM »
It's a Simplex ratchet jack.
RR Jack -v- Toe Jack is determined by how the jack lowers.

With the jack extended placing the lever in DOWN position a Toe Jack will pump down one notch at a time carrying the load.

The RR model the jack extended placing the lever in DOWN position the first stroke of the handle will drop the load to the bottom of the jack in one motion.

It's always good to know which model you're working with.

If you find out in a hurry it can be painful & expensive.
Timing has a lot to do with the outcome of a rain dance!

Offline Neals

• Contributor
  • Alberta, Canada
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2012, 02:18:03 AM »
Great info Aunt Phil that I didn't know. All I have used were toe jacks.

Offline Lewill2

• Bucks County PA
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2012, 06:24:31 PM »
I have 2 that are maybe 10 - 15 years old. I bought them new for moving machinery around. With the lever in the right position and the jack arm in the correct position the jack will collapse all the way, but it won't do that with a load on it.  With the lever in either the up or down position you can ratchet up or down by single notches. I forget who made mine. I have heard them called railroad jacks, house jacks and toe jacks. My Grand Father used to have a set and he called them house jacks.