Author Topic: What Tools Could Be Improved/Annoy You!  (Read 9544 times)

Offline Papaw

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Alvin, Texas
    • Papawswrench
Re: What Tools Could Be Improved/Annoy You!
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2011, 08:35:32 AM »
That's a good one, AP!
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Flickr page- https://www.flickr.com/photos/nhankamer/

lzenglish

« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2011, 09:09:29 AM »

Or, better yet, find a way to get rid of stink bugs. Does anyone else deal with the sting bugs?  ... just curious
cheers, bird
[/quote]

Yes Bird, I deal with stink bugs every year! I moved from the City, to the foothills about 25 years ago, and had not even heard of this bug before. They start to show up in the house around March or April, and last around one month. I pulled all the carpet up, and filled all the cracks in the slab floor. Then I pulled all the baseboard off, and filled the gap between the floor, and sheetrock,(3 cases of caulking), then replaced with new base board that sits flush with the slab floor. This worked out great for about 5 years, and now they are back. Here is their progression: They show up as one or two, then 10 or 20, then 40 or 50, in the house. If you step on them, they just laugh at you, so I put a lump of two sided tape on a pvc stick with a "T" on the end, and go on stink bug patrol every morning. The whole ordeal last for about a month, and we are used to it now. Hell we even welcome the black widows and wolf spiders in our home now, as they take care of some of them! Lol !

"Such is life in the Country"

Wayne

Offline Ietech

• "OLD GUYS RULE"
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2011, 11:08:05 AM »
It doesn't look like the OP is reading anything here anyway --- looks like he went elsewhere for his suggestions. I always wonder why folks post only once then disappear.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 11:10:24 AM by Ietech »
Newest member of PHARTS -  Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Offline Aunt Phil

« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2011, 09:35:08 PM »
It doesn't look like the OP is reading anything here anyway --- looks like he went elsewhere for his suggestions. I always wonder why folks post only once then disappear.

Young fellow explained to me how its called shotgunning.  You formulate a request for help hopefully overcoming your generation Y didn't my Parents use Birth Control manners and phrasing.  Then you google up a group of places you can post the request and post across 50 or however many you can till your buzz wears off.

The hard part is you are supposed to keep a list of the places you posted so you can go back and see the answers, and a lot of people forget that step.  Since they lack problem solving skills they aren't smart enough to google up their own posts.
Timing has a lot to do with the outcome of a rain dance!

Offline bird

• Contributor
  • Resident Rambler
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2011, 11:48:34 PM »
WOW, I really am behind the times.  I had no idea that there was a complete , ummmmmm "search engine" for folks that are suppose to complete certain classes/ tasks.  Oh, by the way, I'm guessing I'm working on the first square foot ..... definitely haven't figured out how to cover an acre yet!  Glad you keep me in check!
cheers and all the best,
bird
Silent bidder extraordinaire!
"Aunt birdie, I think you're the best loser ever!!!!!!"

Offline joe

« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2011, 05:29:23 AM »
If you can forgive a serious answer amid the levity, the trigger lock-on button of many electric hand tools is made for right-handers and is very easily inadvertently locked by lefties.  I've had many a near catastrophe due to this (noteably with electric drills and sabre saws).  I'm amazed the government safety councils haven't fixed this problem - maybe you can!

Offline 1930

• Contributor
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2011, 03:31:34 PM »
Wow Joe that IS a great idea
Always looking for what interests me, anything early Dodge Brothers/Graham Brothers trucks ( pre 1932 or so ) and slant six / Super six parts.

Offline rusty

« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2011, 06:17:46 PM »
> I'm amazed the government safety councils haven't fixed this problem

They have...and haven't. OSHA's solution to trigger locks was to become wishywashy , prohibiting them on some things and allowing them on others. The resulting rules are so convoluted, I doubt the average user could tell you if his tool is allowed to have a trigger lock or not.  For example, they are ok on sabre saws with  blades < 1/4" , but not on thicker blades....

Do you suppose a thin blade will saw your fingers off slower?

The same kind of silly rule applies to circular saws...

Many construction sites prohibit trigger lock tools regardless, there is no question they can bite you...

I had not thought abouyt the left hand thing, which is interesting, because there is also a requirement that you be able to release the lock with the same finger you used to lock it, which probably means, for a left handed person, some tools fail to meet the requirements....
Just a weathered light rust/WD40 mix patina.

Offline Ken W.

• CONTRIBUTOR
  • Contributor
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2011, 07:25:10 PM »
Here a good one for you.Craftsman brand locking pliers.Why is it that Vise Grip locking pliers will hold just about anything you clamp them on to , yet Craftsman locking pliers tend to pop off more times than I care to remember. What does Craftsman have to do to make their locking pliers hold better.

Offline Aunt Phil

« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2011, 11:29:27 PM »
As someone who bought from Smokey Mountain Knife 8 dozen pair of left handed reconditioned scissors and spent about 4 years giving them to many Lefties I encountered (OK mostly cute female Lefties) I can give you the answer to power tools.  It's a foot switch!

Make the switch up with a couple short cords or better a sump pump switch cord, and you have the needed safety device.
Timing has a lot to do with the outcome of a rain dance!

Offline bird

• Contributor
  • Resident Rambler
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2011, 08:57:28 PM »
Hmm, I've got a lot to learn from you, aunt phil!
cheers, bird
Silent bidder extraordinaire!
"Aunt birdie, I think you're the best loser ever!!!!!!"