Author Topic: Gasoline on hands  (Read 3267 times)

Offline rusty

Re: Gasoline on hands
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2012, 06:41:29 PM »
>Gasoline now contains Benzene additives

Uh..I hate to tell you this, but, gasoline has *always* contained Benzine ;P

Gas is really a soup of different random carbon molecules formed by breaking apart longer more complex molecules, it contains all kinds of weird things...
Just a weathered light rust/WD40 mix patina.

Offline 1930

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2012, 07:01:26 PM »
Most bodymen/painters us use laquer thinner at the end of the day to clean our hands, takes a bit to get used to the burning but once used to it there is no discomfort and it does a great job, just have to remember not to put your hands in your pockets until its evaporated.
Always looking for what interests me, anything early Dodge Brothers/Graham Brothers trucks ( pre 1932 or so ) and slant six / Super six parts.

Offline rusty

« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2012, 07:13:47 PM »
>Most bodymen/painters us use laquer thinner at the end of the day

And then they go to the doctor complaining they have dermatitis and don't have any idea why....

That odd burning sensation is the fat under your skin dissolving, but, once it's all dissolved, you are good to go ;P

Offline 1930

• Contributor
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2012, 07:28:24 PM »
I dont think I have ever met a case of dermatitis, would of maybe been more accurate to suggest liver disease but put liver cancer up against lung cancer from huffin paint fumes and it really dosent seem all that bad :)
Always looking for what interests me, anything early Dodge Brothers/Graham Brothers trucks ( pre 1932 or so ) and slant six / Super six parts.

Offline OilyRascal

• Contributor
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2012, 07:35:43 PM »
>Gasoline now contains Benzene additives
Gas is really a soup of different random carbon molecules formed by breaking apart longer more complex molecules, it contains all kinds of weird things...

I poorly worded it, Rusty.  I should have said that I now understand it contains it.

Yes, benzene, toluene, xylene..........depending on the refining process.  The recipe I know very well is - 87 Octane gasoline would be a blend of Isomate, Platformate, Crack Gas, Alkylate, and depending on the season and vapor pressure levels of those ingredients....Butane would be added as appropriate to achieve a target vapor pressure for the season.  93 Octane gasoline would not have Crack Gas present (b/c it reverts to waxy oils fairly quickly) and would have higher concentrations of Platformate (which has the highest octane of the ingredients noted above).  As you note there are all sorts of various levels of other hydrocarbons present (and not JUST hydrocarbons) because of the expense to achieve refinement to purity.  On the other end, you'll find Isomate, as an example, in asphalts.

87 Octane having crack gas present is the very reason I only put 93 Octane in my small engines.  The current DOT requirements only call for additives to stabilize the crack gas for 6 months, I believe - no requirement for longer.

Uh..I hate to tell you this, but, gasoline components are refined by several processes - it's not as simple as separating/breaking hydrocarbon molecules anymore :)
"FORGED IN THE USA" myself.  Be good to your tools!

Garden and Yard Rustfinder Extraordinaire!
http://www.papawswrench.com/vboard/index.php?topic=3717

Offline rusty

« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2012, 08:40:52 PM »

Yeah, once the petro industry discovered catalytic cracking and reforming things got complicated. Whatever happened to boil it, distill it, burn it ;P

I'm still trying to remember the other name for that white waterless hand cleaner, someone other than zep was selling it. It was great stuff, had lanolin in it...

Offline OilyRascal

• Contributor
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2012, 08:50:47 PM »
I'm still trying to remember the other name for that white waterless hand cleaner, someone other than zep was selling it. It was great stuff, had lanolin in it...

Borax?
"FORGED IN THE USA" myself.  Be good to your tools!

Garden and Yard Rustfinder Extraordinaire!
http://www.papawswrench.com/vboard/index.php?topic=3717

Offline Papaw

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Alvin, Texas
    • Papawswrench
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2012, 09:04:48 PM »
Goop. Mrchuck called it earlier.
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Flickr page- https://www.flickr.com/photos/nhankamer/