Author Topic: Hjorth Lightning Wrench pliers  (Read 1463 times)

Offline Plyerman

• CONTRIBUTOR
  • Northern Michigan
Hjorth Lightning Wrench pliers
« on: April 01, 2019, 08:55:18 PM »
Wow. I've seen these strange-looking pliers at swap meets before, but I never actually checked one out until these two 9-inchers followed me home from the spring MVWC auction last year. The design is pretty unique, but I don't find it to be all that practical. The V-notch in the jaws is too far away from the pivot I think.....it reduces the amount of gripping pressure you can apply to a round object or piece of pipe. (I can squeeze WAY harder on 3/4" pipe with a set of Channellocks than I can with these pliers for instance.)  Which is probably why they stopped making them 100 years ago.

Hjorth Lightning Wrench pliers
1896 patent: http://www.datamp.org/patents/displayPatent.php?number=573,313&type=
1903 patent: http://www.datamp.org/patents/advance.php?pn=738444&id=15549&set=2

My friends call me Bob. My wife calls me a lot worse.

Offline Plyerman

• CONTRIBUTOR
  • Northern Michigan
Re: Hjorth Lightning Wrench pliers
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2019, 09:38:02 PM »
So yesterday afternoon I internetted the heck out of these tools, trying to learn what I could about them. Turns out there are at least FIVE distinct variations, maybe more. Most of the differences are pretty subtle, but here's what I found. Variations 1 thru 5 match up to the pictures below, in the same order. 

Version 1)   Stamped with 1896 patent date, and have a protruding "bossed" pivot. These tools have notably longer jaws than later versions, and the wire cutter notch is located between the jaws. Produced in 6, 9, 12 inch sizes, and possibly others.

Version 2)   Stamped with 1896 patent, and have a flush pivot. Jaw length has been shortened to “normal” length. Wire cutter notch has moved to the side of the pivot. Old ads claim it was available in 6, 7, 8, and 12 inch sizes. (Photo from Alloy Artifacts)

Version 3)   Stamped with 1903 patent date. Still has flush pivot, outboard wire cutter notch, etc. 1903 ad claims it was available in 6, 7, 8, and 12 inch sizes. (Photo from Alloy Artifacts)

Version 4)   An "Improved" model was introduced ca1905 according to publications of the day. A hardened steel lower jaw insert was added for better gripping. Center pivot is still flush, with outboard wire cutter notch, etc. 1905 ad claims it was available in 6, 7, 9, and 12 inch sizes. (Photo from Alloy Artifacts)

Version 5)   The "Improved" model was improved even more, with the change to a screw-and-nut pivot. This allowed the pivot to be tightened after it had loosened up with use. (The flush-pivot versions I have handled have been rattly-loose at the joint, so I assume it was a common complaint back in the day.) Unknown what sizes these were produced in.

Offline mikeswrenches

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2019, 05:34:47 AM »
Thanks for the great research! I had to go look at my pair again to see what I had. They are the type one. It’s no wonder they changed the design. As you mentioned the "mechanical advantage" on these is very poor. You would have needed strong hands to get much work done.

Mike
Check out my ETSY store at: OldeTymeTools

Offline Northwoods

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2019, 05:31:48 PM »
Just wow!
The ORIGINAL Northwoods.

Offline mvwcnews

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2019, 10:31:10 PM »
Thanks for the great research! I had to go look at my pair again to see what I had. They are the type one. It’s no wonder they changed the design. As you mentioned the "mechanical advantage" on these is very poor. You would have needed strong hands to get much work done.

Mike
Maybe some of us are just too wimpy.  My dad-in-law sheared the pivot bolts out of Crescent pliers on a regular basis and cracked walnuts by squeezing two of them together in his hands.   The HJORTH Lightnings were designed mainly for farm use (square nuts on carriage bolts, etc.).  In addition to the HJORTH Lightning, there were several other competitors with similar designs at the time, so the tools must have met some need well enough to keep in production for several years.

Offline mikeswrenches

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2019, 05:31:10 AM »

Mike
Maybe some of us are just too wimpy.  My dad-in-law sheared the pivot bolts out of Crescent pliers on a regular basis and cracked walnuts by squeezing two of them together in his hands.   The HJORTH Lightnings were designed mainly for farm use (square nuts on carriage bolts, etc.).  In addition to the HJORTH Lightning, there were several other competitors with similar designs at the time, so the tools must have met some need well enough to keep in production for several years.

They made it through 5 different versions and as you pointed out several different manufacturers, so they couldn’t have been all bad. I guess I’m just getting old.

Mike
Check out my ETSY store at: OldeTymeTools

Offline Yadda

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2019, 06:52:24 AM »
Great research Bob! I was wondering what you would find on the version with jaw inserts. Seems like a big gap from 8 to 12 inches.  Symmetry indicates there should have been other sizes in between 9 and 12. Interesting that there were 6, 7, and 8 inch versions.  What would have been the need for a 7 except for specific items if you had a 6 and 8?
You might say I have a tool collecting problem....

Offline Plyerman

• CONTRIBUTOR
  • Northern Michigan
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2019, 09:03:39 PM »
Good question Lyndon. It's hard to say why they chose to make the sizes they did. Here is a write-up from 1903 where they state the various lengths. (Note that the publication date would correspond with Version 2/Version 3 tools from my list above.) Sizes are 6,7,8,12-inch.

« Last Edit: April 03, 2019, 09:08:48 PM by Plyerman »

Offline Plyerman

• CONTRIBUTOR
  • Northern Michigan
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2019, 09:07:04 PM »
....then here we are two years later in 1905, when they announced the "Improved" version with the jaw insert. (Corresponding to Version 4 above.) Sizes listed are 6,7,9,12-inch.

Offline Plyerman

• CONTRIBUTOR
  • Northern Michigan
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2019, 09:57:39 PM »
And Stan is correct, back in the day there were several other firms making "Lightning Wrench" pliers, or at least close copies of them. So far I have found reference to at least six of them. Here are the first five:

1) Stamped S. SUTTON & CO. ROCKFORD, Ill.   (see 2014 MVWC auction page below)

2) America Co., Rockford Ill   (See 1904 ad below. May possibly be associated with Sutton Co. Rockford Ill. above)

3) Universal Wrench, The Universal Mfg Co, Troy, Ohio.   (See 1905 ad below)

4) J.P. Danielson & Co, Jamestown N.Y.    (See 1907 announcement below)

5) Specialty Mfg. Co. Jamestown, N.Y.    (See 1907 ad below)

Offline Plyerman

• CONTRIBUTOR
  • Northern Michigan
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2019, 09:31:39 PM »
Along with the five other Lightning Wrench makers above, there were also these two patents for remarkably similar tools.

William Van Horn patent from 1904:  http://www.datamp.org/patents/displayPatent.php?number=768,832&type=

Karl Peterson patent from 1905:  http://www.datamp.org/patents/displayPatent.php?number=794,249&type=

The Peterson patent tool is currently listed as Not known to have been produced.
The Van Horn patent was produced and sold as the "Universal Wrench" (See advertisement #3 above. Photo of actual tool below. 9" long.

Offline Plyerman

• CONTRIBUTOR
  • Northern Michigan
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2019, 09:25:05 AM »
Yet another manufacturer identified. This one from the 2007 MVWC auction, lot 1053. (Looks like one of the very earliest Hjorth "Version 1" tools.)

1053. MCKAIG-DORNTGE DROP FORGING CO BUFFALO NY - - 12.25'' comb plier wrench with wire cutter, nail puller, pry bar. Looks similar to the Lightning Combination Wrench listed above.

According to Alloy Artifacts, the McKaig-Dorntge plant burned down around 1900 and was a predecessor to the McKaig-Hatch Company.