Author Topic: Ranchman tool -versus- National Hatchet  (Read 1621 times)

Offline Plyerman

• CONTRIBUTOR
  • Northern Michigan
Ranchman tool -versus- National Hatchet
« on: April 01, 2016, 09:59:19 AM »
These two combination tools seem to show up at auctions from time to time, but never both of them at the same time it seems. So for several years I just assumed they were both the same tool, but with different markings. Turns out I was wrong. I finally managed to get one of each, so here is a little side-by-side photo op.

LEFT/UP:
The Ranchman Combination Tool, produced by Straight Mfg. Co. of Jamestown, New York. The earliest reference I've found to this tool is an ad from 1903.

RIGHT/DOWN:
Combination tool produced by the National Hatchet Company of Marshalltown, Iowa. Earliest reference is from an 1907 advertisement.

The most obvious difference between the two is the area right below the pivot, where the National Hatchet tool (marked DROP FORGED TOOL STEEL) has a flat "plier" area with a couple of crimping grooves. The Ranchman (marked FORGED TOOL STEEL) has no such plier area.

On the reverse side, the Ranchman is marked RANCHMAN. (Some of the same tools are found today marked K.L. RYMAN NEWARK N.J.)
National Hatchet Tool is marked MARSHALLTOWN, IA.  PAT'D

At the far end of the handles, both tools have a curved nail/staple puller notch, and a flat screwdriver. Notice the orientation of the screwdrivers differ by 90 degrees. Also note that both tools originally had a leather hole punch partway up the handle, but these are broken off on both of mine.

Ranchman write-up and advertisement from a 1903 publication called The Blacksmith and Wheelwright

National Hatchet tool ad from 1907 newspaper

National Hatchet tool(s) advertised in 1907 American Swineherd publication

My friends call me Bob. My wife calls me a lot worse.

Offline chips

Re: Ranchman tool -versus- National Hatchet
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2016, 10:17:03 AM »
Great post.  I never would have guessed they once had a leather punch.

Offline Northwoods

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2016, 12:43:51 PM »
You've done some good work, there, Plyerman!
The ORIGINAL Northwoods.

Offline Yadda

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2016, 07:17:06 PM »
Great post!
You might say I have a tool collecting problem....

Offline Plyerman

• CONTRIBUTOR
  • Northern Michigan
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2016, 05:50:26 PM »
Well apparently there are more versions of these old hatchet combination tools than I was initially aware of. Since my initial posting above I've acquired two more variations, and learned about a third one. Whether they were all produced under the original 1898 John R. Morris patent is unclear, but based on arguments made in an old legal brief that Stan found, it seems doubtful.

Here's one from The Bonney Vise & Tool Works of Philadelphia (and later Allentown) PA. With a crimping "plier" jaw area below the pivot, it more closely resembles the Marshalltown/National Hatchet model above. However subtle differences still exist, including a shorter "jaw" area, with only a single crimping notch in it, and the screwdriver at the end of one handle being rotated 90 degrees.

Marked BONNEY TOMAHAWK on one side, and FORGED TOOL STEEL on the other.

Offline Plyerman

• CONTRIBUTOR
  • Northern Michigan
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2016, 06:16:29 PM »
Here is another one marked RANCHMAN. It is identical to the Ranchman pictured in my first post, except for the markings. This one says K.L. RYMAN NEWARK N.J. around the pivot and RANCHMAN on the hammer pol. Opposite side is marked TOOL-STEEL FORGED.

According to old advertisements I found in various trade journals from the early 1900's, the K.L. Ryman Company specialized in producing forgings for the fledgling automobile industry. And interestingly enough, one ad from 1903 suggests that they were related to the Strieby & Foote Company, also of Newark, makers of the Tate Wire Tool.

Link:  http://www.papawswrench.com/vboard/index.php?topic=14033

« Last Edit: May 01, 2016, 06:18:11 PM by Plyerman »