Author Topic: CHAMPION DeARMENT hammer?  (Read 2631 times)

Offline Twilight Fenrir

CHAMPION DeARMENT hammer?
« on: May 08, 2017, 12:05:18 PM »
I picked up this (relatively) small hammer at a yard sale today... It seems very well made, and is stamped "CHAMPION   DeARMENT" (no, I didn't miss a "P" and the "E" is capital, but smaller than the others, like DeWalt)  but I'm unfamiliar with the purpose of the pein on this one... It looks as if someone took a normal cross pein, and ground out a semi-circle leaving a fairly sharp edge. But it was definitely manufactured this way...

Does anyone know what I have here?
Thanks

Offline Bill Houghton

Re: CHAMPION DeARMENT hammer?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2017, 02:02:52 PM »
Huh.  It looks like a standard tinner's hammer - are you sure the grind on the cross pein is factory?

Offline Twilight Fenrir

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2017, 02:15:14 PM »
Huh.  It looks like a standard tinner's hammer - are you sure the grind on the cross pein is factory?

Pretty sure... I'm having trouble with my phone uploading the other two pictures I have, one of which shows the pein more clearly, I'll fiddle with it some more when I get a chance this evening.

If it's not factory, it was done by a skilled machinist.

Offline rustyfordgarage

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2017, 09:30:17 PM »
Would later be known as the Channellock Company.  From the picture I see it looks like a tinners hammer that was chipped and ground.     

Offline Twilight Fenrir

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2017, 07:08:47 AM »
Okay, here's a shot of the pein...

What I would expect to be a positive curved surface is concave instead...

« Last Edit: May 09, 2017, 07:12:49 AM by Twilight Fenrir »

Offline Bill Houghton

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2017, 09:46:23 AM »
Well, that is a puzzle.  Getting comfy on the easy chair to watch the discussion here - no idea what that shape would be optimal for.

Offline lptools

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2017, 03:13:49 PM »
Rolled? Hemmed? Edge on sheet metal????
Member of PHARTS-  Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Offline oldgoaly

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2017, 03:20:34 PM »
To finish or close a wire edge.
Seems to me I just had a pliers or tongs marked the same? in the fall of last year?
« Last Edit: May 09, 2017, 03:26:20 PM by oldgoaly »
A bunch of pics (5000+) of tools and projects in our shoppe
https://www.facebook.com/187845251266156/photos/?tab=albums

Offline wvtools

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2017, 04:42:14 PM »
According to the EAIA Toolmaker's Directory, made between 1927 and 1960.

Offline Twilight Fenrir

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2017, 05:30:21 PM »
To finish or close a wire edge.
Seems to me I just had a pliers or tongs marked the same? in the fall of last year?
Is that a guess, or a definitive answer? Certainly sounds plausible. Though I wonder how useful it would be on curved surfaces...

According to the EAIA Toolmaker's Directory, made between 1927 and 1960.
Yeah, I did a little research on that end... Champion DeArment was previously a small smithy that grew to become the Champion Bolt and Clipper Company. In 1923 the company moved to a larger facility, and changed their name to Champion DeArment Tool Company. Then, in 1963 they changed their name again to Channellock, capitalizing on the ubiquity of their patented grove-joint pliers.

Offline oldgoaly

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2017, 05:42:34 PM »
Educated guess, haven't seen one like that, but have done lots of wired edges. You are taught to use the chisel end, so did it work? probably wasn't a big seller. Some people modify a linesman's pliers to finish the wired edge, there is a hand cranked set of dies for the easy edgers / jenny's. Probably the closest thing I have seen to the end is the a set of pullmax dies I made to finish the wired edge on a late 20's Chrysler fenders.  I've got ??? about 5 or 6 tinner's hammers none with a concave edge.
A bunch of pics (5000+) of tools and projects in our shoppe
https://www.facebook.com/187845251266156/photos/?tab=albums

Offline Twilight Fenrir

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2017, 07:00:31 AM »
Educated guess, haven't seen one like that, but have done lots of wired edges. You are taught to use the chisel end, so did it work? probably wasn't a big seller. Some people modify a linesman's pliers to finish the wired edge, there is a hand cranked set of dies for the easy edgers / jenny's. Probably the closest thing I have seen to the end is the a set of pullmax dies I made to finish the wired edge on a late 20's Chrysler fenders.  I've got ??? about 5 or 6 tinner's hammers none with a concave edge.
Very interesting, thanks!