Author Topic: Replacement capacitor for old Craftsman table saw  (Read 2662 times)

Offline TomL

Replacement capacitor for old Craftsman table saw
« on: August 25, 2016, 06:38:42 PM »
I have inherited my Dad's old Craftsman table saw, Model 113.29920. It has a 1HP motor on it, but the start capacitor does not work. I can wind a cord around the unused groove on the motor pulley and it will start and run if I turn on the switch and then pull the cord to get it going. This is inconvenient, so I want to replace the capacitor. When I took the motor off, it had what I think is the capacitor in a cardboard box under the base of the motor. It measures about 3-1/4"x5"x1". Inside the box is a metal case with 2 wires leading into the main motor housing. It is hard to read, but markings on the metal case seem to say General Motors Corporation, Dayton Ohio. 5370901, 200-350MFD, 125V 60CYC. Can anyone tell me, is this the part I need, and if so, where can I find it?

Offline Bill Houghton

Re: Replacement capacitor for old Craftsman table saw
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2016, 12:32:34 PM »
Does it look a little like this one?

Asking another way, is there a lump on the motor body shaped a little like a hot dog bun?

If yes to question #1 and no to question #2, then, yes, that rectangular thing is the start capacitor.  Contact a motor shop and/or pro's electrical supply shop in your area to search for a replacement.

And you might wander over to Old Woodworking Machines, a forum that specializes in what it sounds like (note to others: they also discuss metalworking machines like lathes, though not sheet metal machinery): http://www.owwm.org/index.php.  They will have ideas on where to find a capacitor, and will generally be helpful as you get this machine running well.  Read the rules, at the top of each forum; there are some rules a little different from other forums.

The old capacitor may have PCBs or other toxic materials in it; plan to put it with the hazardous waste.

Offline eddie hudson

• NYC
Re: Replacement capacitor for old Craftsman table saw
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2016, 03:05:40 PM »
According to the list I have, your saw was made by

113Emerson Electric Co.