Author Topic: Inner tube repair station  (Read 2792 times)

Offline moparthug

Inner tube repair station
« on: January 26, 2016, 10:23:41 PM »
This seems to be a wall mount inner tube repair station, it's in great condition and still has the tube scuffing file on a chain. There is a ghost outline of slightly better paint where a a manufacturers sticker used to be, but no makers name cast into it. From the pat number, about how old could it be? And here's the sad part, this was turned into my local metal scrap yard, I had to pay $1 a pound to save it ($10).
Rogue River, OR.

Offline Papaw

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Alvin, Texas
    • Papawswrench
Re: Inner tube repair station
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2016, 10:29:10 PM »
In my opinion it is worth all of that $10.
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Flickr page- https://www.flickr.com/photos/nhankamer/

Offline Northwoods

« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 11:26:12 PM by Northwoods »
The ORIGINAL Northwoods.

Offline oldgoaly

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2016, 12:46:11 AM »
They were very common, tires went flat very often and people fixed their own tires and tubes.
A bunch of pics (5000+) of tools and projects in our shoppe
https://www.facebook.com/187845251266156/photos/?tab=albums

Offline turnnut

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2016, 09:38:06 AM »
indeed a good find for only $10    I can picture that cleaned up and painted, mounted on a wall with a old tire tube full of patches
hanging over the patching plate.  that would get the young ones asking questions.

in the garage in the early 50's,  we had to patch the tubes over the vise.  yes, a small town garage that I worked at from 7th grade
through high school.  when I started there, we had a lube pit,  then one day after school when I arrived to work, there was a crew
that started working on doing away with the pit and installing a two post lift, wow, work got easier. 

Offline john k

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2016, 06:48:19 PM »
It could possibly date from the 30s thru the 60s.  Tubeless tires became common in 1957, on cars, and that began the slide down on tube repair.  Tractors, trucks and most farm equipment still uses tubes, and they are still patched.   The gas stations I worked in during the 60s and 70s, usually had one of these bolted to the front of the bench.  The hot patches used a sulphur concoction to heat the patch.   It was lit with a match, in winter the tube was worked over, clamped in  the  tool, then carried outside to light it, they stank big time.  The last time I was in a gas station grease pit was late 60s, don't miss them at all. 
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society