Author Topic: Low angle planes  (Read 4268 times)

Offline Branson

Low angle planes
« on: October 31, 2011, 10:09:41 AM »
There was a box of planes at the flea market yesterday, and about 8 of them were block planes.  There was a Stanley 60 1/2, but I have two of those already.  But there were two that I couldn't resist.  One is a Stanley 118, both can stand some honing, but cut pretty well as found.

The 118, I was surprised to find, was more expensive than the other Stanley block planes in the 1950 catalog, at $4.60. (The nickel plated 18 was $5.55, and the nickel plated 65 was $5.40.)  It's listed as "All Steel School Plane" and it's described as being "boy proof."

I find no name on the other plane, but it's interesting.  The adjustment knob alone serves as the palm rest.  I'd like to know more about this one.

Offline scottg

• Grandstaffworks Tools
Re: Low angle planes
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2011, 10:16:18 AM »
I think the second plane is a Sargent. At least I had a Sargent that was very similar.
 If it is, its a pretty scarce plane, mostly issued in a boys toolkit.  Mine went high enough to surprise me.
 yours Scott

Offline Branson

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2011, 11:00:16 AM »
I think the second plane is a Sargent. At least I had a Sargent that was very similar.
 If it is, its a pretty scarce plane, mostly issued in a boys toolkit.  Mine went high enough to surprise me.
 yours Scott

Right you are!  I found it on an Australian tool e-list

"Its a Sargent No 5206 low-angle block plane. Cutter marked Sargent No 5206, New Haven CT USA. Sargent's answer to the "boy-proof" Stanley No 118."

Offline Branson

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2011, 11:12:29 AM »
Here's a 5206 offered by Bob Kaune.  circa 1920 -- 89.95
and a 4206 also offered by him.  circa 1913 -- 98.95

The odd thing is that the lever cap on the one I got is the 5206, but the blade is more like the 4206, though with two through cuts for the adjustment.
Curious.

But it looks like I did OK on these planes for $15 the pair.

Offline Jim C.

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2011, 09:28:31 PM »
You got a couple of really nice block planes for $15.  Your Sargent #5206 was manufactured between 1913 and 1947.  Based on what I see, the iron on the plane and the rest of the parts appear to be consistent in age and wear.  During its 34 year production timeline, the #5206 was produced in at least twenty different versions.  So, there's a pretty good chance that the iron on your plane was accurate for one, or several, of those twenty or more versions, and therefore original to the plane itself.  Unfortunately I don't know enough about Sargent planes to tell you where your plane fell on the production timeline.

The Stanley #118 was produced beginning in 1933, and continued well into the 1980s.  On most occasions, Stanley's competitors, like Sargent, copied Stanley's designs.  Here's an instance where Stanley copied one of it competitors.  Stanley finally started making a steel block plane twenty years after Sargent began producing its #5206.  I noticed that your plane has its model number stamped on its left side.  Stanley started stamping model numbers on various block planes somewhere around 1947.  I think it's safe to say your plane was produced at some point after WWII.

Finally, I don't usually like to talk about the price paid for hand planes and antique tools, because a reasonable price to me, might not be to someone else, and vise versa.  That being said, I think Kaune's website is a nice resource for looking at various planes, some rare, some a little more common.  However, I think his stuff is generally priced on the high side of reasonable, and more often than not, just plain overpriced.

Jim C.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 09:36:04 PM by Jim C. »
Our Go-To Type Study Member

Offline Branson

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2011, 08:59:10 AM »
Jim C, you just gave more information and history than I've been able to find.  Thank you!  As for prices, it seems to me that most dealers are quite high, but somebody out there must be willing to pay them -- go figure. 

For me, I generally prefer old tools.  And I like to use them, so my only concern, really, is whether a price meets my wallet.  I think the newest hammer I have is the one that belonged to my grandfather.  The oldest hammer is circa 1830, and it does a fine job.

I already like these two planes.  I look forward to putting them to real use.

Offline Jim C.

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2011, 09:24:39 AM »
I really like learning the history of old tools.  That's a part of collecting that I really enjoy.  I think you got a fantastic deal on those two planes.  They both look to be in very good, useable, condition.  I wouldn't hesitate to use either one of them.

Jim C.
Our Go-To Type Study Member

Offline Branson

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2011, 07:45:22 AM »
I really like learning the history of old tools.  That's a part of collecting that I really enjoy.  I think you got a fantastic deal on those two planes.  They both look to be in very good, useable, condition.  I wouldn't hesitate to use either one of them.
Jim C.

I like the history of old tools, too.  It is part of the joy of collecting.  There's also the "thrill of the hunt," and the discovery of treasures.

They are in good, useable condition.  They'll be better after I sharpen them, but I have already used both, and both are sharp enough to do a little work.