Author Topic: Twentieth Century Arc Welder  (Read 5699 times)

Offline Twilight Fenrir

Twentieth Century Arc Welder
« on: May 07, 2016, 07:41:27 PM »
Well, I was at an auction today, and there was this old arc welder sitting there... I kept my eye on it curiously, because it was rather handsome looking.... And I managed to bring it home for $2.50 :P

I don't know if it works yet, it has no plug or leads, but I'll fiddle with it and see what I can get. What I'm curious about, is it has a terminal that says 'Cutting Ground Only', is this for a carbon arc torch? Or..... What?

Thanks!

Offline gibsontool

• Contributor
Re: Twentieth Century Arc Welder
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2016, 08:19:53 PM »
Never seen any thing like that before. I assume it's single phase 220 (can't quite read some of the specs). Rod sizes are shown as 1/16" to 1/8" so it's a light duty machine. I've never come across a machine with a terminal like the one your referring to, If it does turn out to be for an air arc it must be for a very very small carbon rod and you would have to keep a close eye on the duty cycle. Regardless of how this all turns out for you, I think if it doesn't work at all, for the price you paid you could strip out the copper, sell it ,and get more than what you paid. Hopefully it works and you got a hell of a good deal. Be interested to know how it turns out, keep us informed.

Offline oldgoaly

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2016, 08:35:15 PM »
wonder if it is for a 'arcair" gouging torch?  air is forced thru the special electrode.
Maybe a relay opens when the arc is struck, this relay opens a solenoid for compressed air to blow out the molten metal.
The carbon arc sets I have just used standard a/c.
OR could  it have some type of diode the make a form a DC polarity. (1/2 wave?)
Nice welder! Glad you saved it!
A bunch of pics (5000+) of tools and projects in our shoppe
https://www.facebook.com/187845251266156/photos/?tab=albums

Offline Papaw

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Alvin, Texas
    • Papawswrench
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2016, 09:05:32 PM »
Glad you saved it!

Heck- He STOLE it!

Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Flickr page- https://www.flickr.com/photos/nhankamer/

Offline john k

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2016, 09:39:51 PM »
Seen quite  few of this style in farm shops over the years.  Believed them to be good welders, or at least as good a the old Lincolns.  Have two antique ones myself. 
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Offline Twilight Fenrir

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2016, 08:30:11 AM »
Never seen any thing like that before. I assume it's single phase 220 (can't quite read some of the specs). Rod sizes are shown as 1/16" to 1/8" so it's a light duty machine. I've never come across a machine with a terminal like the one your referring to, If it does turn out to be for an air arc it must be for a very very small carbon rod and you would have to keep a close eye on the duty cycle. Regardless of how this all turns out for you, I think if it doesn't work at all, for the price you paid you could strip out the copper, sell it ,and get more than what you paid. Hopefully it works and you got a hell of a good deal. Be interested to know how it turns out, keep us informed.
That's kind of what I figured :P I'll put a plug on the end of the cord, and see if it starts up. If so, I'll find leads for it and.... Do something with it.... Probably sell it :P If it doesn't, I'll strip out the copper, and have an interesting looking rolling tool chest!

Offline Bill Houghton

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2016, 09:06:33 PM »
That's a classy looking buzz box.

Offline Twilight Fenrir

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2016, 01:24:46 PM »
Well, I put an end on her cord and plugged her in today, flipped the switch..... and nothing. Looked it over quickly and noticed there was a "fuse" screw cap on the side of the machine, so I unscrewed it, to find there was no fuse inside there..... and, so I did something stupid, and jammed a screwdriver in there to make contact and see if it would turn on.... still nothing. Oh well, can't win 'em all.

So, now I'm going to open it up, look for any obvious damage. Test the on/off switch... Assuming I find nothing I can easily repair, I will then gut it, and make it into a rolling tool chest :P But, this project is pretty far out on the horizon, I've got a couple busy months ahead of me....
« Last Edit: July 09, 2016, 01:26:31 PM by Twilight Fenrir »

Offline turnnut

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2016, 04:47:26 PM »
 the positive part of this story, is you lived to tell us.  don't do that again, we need an update to that project.