Author Topic: Vise ID and question  (Read 914 times)

Offline Society

Vise ID and question
« on: September 23, 2020, 05:55:41 AM »
Any idea who made it? And what are my chances of finding the inside threaded part?

Thanks!

Offline mikeswrenches

• Contributor
Re: Vise ID and question
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2020, 07:08:30 AM »
There’s a better than even chance that you have one of the many Chinese vises that are available. Your chances of finding the "main nut" are zero unless you find a broken one and can salvage the nut. Better to put it back to work as a boat anchor and look for a good old American vise. Most of them will have the name cast on the body somewhere and will be much heavier than most of the current new Chinese vises on the market.

By the way, welcome to Tool Talk. Stick around, this is a great group of people.

Mike
Check out my ETSY store at: OldeTymeTools

Offline Society

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2020, 02:18:21 AM »
Thanks fer the ‘odds’ mike. If my Irwin vise - AKA ‘doorstop’ is any indication of USA product these days- I’ll take this PRC vise any day. And these nut jobs on Craigslist asking $400 for a decent vise aren’t helping... just sayin.

Who woulda thought in the 21century a good vise would be hard to acquire!

Offline lptools

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2020, 06:17:26 AM »
Hell, Society. Welcome to Tool Talk.I agree with Mike , the vise you posted is not worth fixing. A good way to start is by looking at Craigslist, Marketplace, and a local flea market. Good vises are often found at car show swap meets , too. You could also try ebay for approximate values. What part of the country are you located? Good luck with your search, Lou
Member of PHARTS-  Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society