Author Topic: Hello from West Virginia's Eastern Panhandle  (Read 2511 times)

Offline Papple

Hello from West Virginia's Eastern Panhandle
« on: February 19, 2016, 10:37:09 AM »
I'm a retiree with a few old hand tools I'd like to know more about.  None are for sale, caue this ain't about money.   The most mysterious is a perfect type handle screwdriver, 8.25" long, with a face for hammering (just like my H D Smith Model 660) at the end, and 1/2" wrench flats just as the handle morphs into the shaft.  All the HD Smith screwdrivers I've seen have riveted scales, but this one has washers on the rivets.  The blade profile is also slightly wider than the HD Smith.  Photo to come when I figure out how to get it to the right size to attach. 

Offline gibsontool

• Contributor
Re: Hello from West Virginia's Eastern Panhandle
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2016, 12:07:41 PM »
Welcome to tool talk. hang in there and I'm sure one of the guys that knows more about posting pics than I do can help you out.

Offline Papaw

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Alvin, Texas
    • Papawswrench
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2016, 12:29:46 PM »
Welcome to Tool Talk!
You might have an Irwin, or a German maade screwdriver.
For picture posting look here- http://www.papawswrench.com/vboard/index.php?topic=61.0
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Flickr page- https://www.flickr.com/photos/nhankamer/

Offline bill300d

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2016, 04:21:19 PM »
That would my immediate guess too so lets see the pics when you can.
A person who could really read human minds would be privileged to gaze on some correct imitations of chaos.

Offline Papple

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2016, 10:47:47 PM »
Still working on the pics, but I was able to identify that screwdriver.  You folks are good luck!  Turns out, it's a Dunlap machinist screwdriver.  There's one for sale at goantiques that looks just like mine, and a couple on eBay that are the same manufacture but different sizes.  The  lettering is so faded it can't be deciphered, but that's the one.    I found it because I was surfing screwdriver sites; (bought a Yankee screwdriver at an auction today that's unlike any of my others), and there it was!  The new screwdriver is clearly a knockoff.  It's a size 30, but completely unmarked.  The locking collar is marked stop <- -> move.  It's all nickel plated and some of the plate is off.  The handle is red plastic with a yellow ring near the shaft.  It seems to work well, but came without a tip, so I ordered an adapter from Lee Valley for it.