Author Topic: interesting old stuff  (Read 1501 times)

Offline stillfishin

interesting old stuff
« on: May 24, 2012, 10:05:25 AM »
A small local museum had an auction last weekend. I couldn't keep my hand down as usual. Here's a few items I couldn't resist. Any insight on them?

I believe these are scotch type augers? I bought 4, They all have the same grind to them, and are all in nice condition. Largest was 3" and close to 30" long. Down to 1 1/2" x 18"

This was a pike head I think. Loggers used these on a pole to push logs down the rivers and into the mill from the lake here.

A tapered auger.

I got several more pieces too, stories for another day..

Offline Dakota Woodworker

Re: interesting old stuff
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2012, 12:59:56 PM »
Nice bunch of augers.  I've got one like your biggest one, drills about a 3" hole. No doubt for wood originally but has drilled a lot of post holes in it's later life.
Current Dakota Auction Champion

Offline amertrac

• Contributor
  • ny mountain man
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2012, 03:48:39 PM »
that pike head would make a perfect weapon on my wall
bob w.
TO SOON ULD UND TO LATE SCHMART

Offline 1930

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2012, 04:47:56 PM »
I do like that tapered auger as you put it
Always looking for what interests me, anything early Dodge Brothers/Graham Brothers trucks ( pre 1932 or so ) and slant six / Super six parts.

Offline stillfishin

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2012, 06:52:23 PM »
Yes Dakota, thats the biggest I've seen to date. Its 3" on the nuts. The bar to spin it is 28" long and I'm sure you'ld want all of it to spin that bit.

Bob, It'd sure be a heckuva weapon huh? Can u imagine hooking somebody somewhere? I bet they'd come right along... I'll sure trade it to you for something interesting.

1930, that is what they do call those. They were for making holes for tapered shafts to fit in. Like wagon wheels, whiskey barrell bungs, etc. This one starts at 0 and goes to 2" The working length is 6" long. Its in excellent condition but the handle has been replaced with a newer peice of wood I'm sure. Again I'd swap for something.

Offline Branson

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2012, 07:43:29 AM »
That one looks specifically like a tap auger, that bores a hole in the end of a barrel to accept a wooden tap.  There are other and larger tapered augers for bigger jobs, bung hole augers for example.

All good stuff!  Looking forward to more pictures.

Offline keykeeper

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2012, 08:41:58 PM »
Pike poles were also a longtime used tool in the fire service, used for pulling ceilings and walls to check for spread of the fire or moving hot items if the structure was on the ground to search for victims or origin of fire. Pike poles have many different uses.
-Aaron C.

My vintage tool Want list:
Wards Master Quality 1/2" drive sockets (Need size 5/8), long extension, & speeder handle.
-Vlchek WB* series double box wrenches.
-Hinsdale double-box end round shank wrenches.

Offline Branson

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2012, 08:03:43 AM »
The T-handled augers were used for drilling deep and accurate holes.  Mostly, it seems, people identify them with barn building but they were used for all manner of construction.  I have a photograph that shows a couple of army engineers during the Civil War sitting in the trusses of a bridge being built boring through the posts with these, so that the heavy wooden pins could be driven through.  Three were also issued to artillery artificers, in this case for boring the holes for some of the long, heavy bolts used in holding cannon carriages together.