Author Topic: Old socket sets from before WW-2  (Read 22011 times)

Offline coolford

• Old as dirt
Re: Old socket sets from before WW-2
« Reply #75 on: February 25, 2019, 09:15:44 AM »
Don---Thanks for the alert, I bought it.

Offline d42jeep

« Reply #76 on: February 25, 2019, 11:53:30 AM »
My pleasure. Glad it was still available.
-Don
Member of PHARTS-  Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society
CONTRIBUTOR

Offline d42jeep

« Reply #77 on: February 25, 2019, 02:28:22 PM »
Even though this set resembles more modern S-K tools it actually dates from the '30s and is a very early example of S-K Tools 1/4" drive offerings. The sockets are marked S-K Chrome and the flex handle and crossbar are unmarked.
-Don
« Last Edit: February 26, 2019, 05:32:30 AM by d42jeep »
CONTRIBUTOR

Offline coolford

• Old as dirt
« Reply #78 on: February 25, 2019, 03:22:46 PM »
I didn't realize the unmarked breaker bars were S-K but I'm glad to know as I have a couple that look like yours.  I also will check sockets in a couple of older S-K socket sets in 1/4" drive to see the marks.

Offline d42jeep

« Reply #79 on: February 26, 2019, 05:19:33 AM »
I don’t think that they were marking the flex handles or extensions until after WW2. None of my wartime sets have markings on those pieces. The ratchets and sockets are always marked, however.
-Don
« Last Edit: February 26, 2019, 05:21:16 AM by d42jeep »
CONTRIBUTOR

Offline coolford

• Old as dirt
« Reply #80 on: February 26, 2019, 03:49:58 PM »
Don---Went through my 1/4" sets and have one similar to the last one you showed.  It has the S-K chrome sockets and the proper ratchet and the unmarked items and the label inside the box.  However, there are only 6 sockets.  I have other sockets that are plane steel but they are marked S-K and the size but omit "chrome".  How would you date these sockets.---Charles

Offline d42jeep

« Reply #81 on: February 26, 2019, 07:14:29 PM »
It seems like prewar and postwar sockets are generally chrome plated. In the 1943 wartime S-K catalog they no longer use the S-K Chrome marking. I have seen what I would consider wartime sockets in cad plating, plain steel and a dark oxide finish so I would consider your plain steel socket probably from ‘42 to ‘45. Here are the pertinent 1/4” sections of the ‘43 catalog.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2019, 07:24:29 PM by d42jeep »
CONTRIBUTOR

Offline skipskip

• Contributor
  • Glenmont NY USA
« Reply #82 on: February 27, 2019, 11:15:24 PM »
Can I play?

set box on upper left has a raised tray rather than just a divider.

I seldom get sets  complete, but I leave them as is until I know enough about them to add the missing tools.

I assume the wartime sets would be all cadmium? not mixed with plated sockets?

feb582 by Skip Albright, on Flickr

feb587 by Skip Albright, on Flickr

feb584 by Skip Albright, on Flickr

A place for everything and everything on the floor

Offline d42jeep

« Reply #83 on: February 28, 2019, 07:03:07 AM »
Can I play?

set box on upper left has a raised tray rather than just a divider.

I seldom get sets  complete, but I leave them as is until I know enough about them to add the missing tools.

I assume the wartime sets would be all cadmium? not mixed with plated sockets?

feb582 by Skip Albright, on Flickr

feb587 by Skip Albright, on Flickr

feb584 by Skip Albright, on Flickr
I believe that any sets with the riveted on plate are postwar. Prewar and wartime sets used the decals. It is unlikely that chrome sockets came in a wartime set. Here is a postwar catalog page showing the set with the raised tray on the upper right. You can see that the flex handle and extensions are marked on my postwar raised tray set.
-Don
« Last Edit: February 28, 2019, 07:14:25 AM by d42jeep »
CONTRIBUTOR

Offline coolford

• Old as dirt
« Reply #84 on: March 02, 2019, 02:55:56 PM »
Billmont socket sets by Edgar C. Guthard.  These are quite different from any other socket set.  First, the sockets only fit the ratchets provided and none of the others made.  The first set is the oldest from the early 20's and the ratchet is turned by turning the tee bar at the top as shown in the picture.  The tee bar can be stored inside of the ratchet.  The second set is somewhat later, as the sockets are the same but the ratchet is more modern.  The ratchet is the flip type to reverse.  Again the sockets fit that ratchet, but are the same as those in the earlier set.  Alloy Artifacts does not mention Billmont or Guthard.

Note-Those are complete sets, no other items were made by Guthard.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2019, 02:58:17 PM by coolford »

Offline Northwoods

« Reply #85 on: March 03, 2019, 10:02:21 AM »
Billmont socket sets by Edgar C. Guthard.  These are quite different from any other socket set.  First, the sockets only fit the ratchets provided and none of the others made.  The first set is the oldest from the early 20's and the ratchet is turned by turning the tee bar at the top as shown in the picture.  The tee bar can be stored inside of the ratchet.  The second set is somewhat later, as the sockets are the same but the ratchet is more modern.  The ratchet is the flip type to reverse.  Again the sockets fit that ratchet, but are the same as those in the earlier set.  Alloy Artifacts does not mention Billmont or Guthard.

Note-Those are complete sets, no other items were made by Guthard.

Those sets are the bomb!  Where do you find these things?
I have both rats, but no sockets or crossbar.  The Billmont Master Wrench is really something.  Both have a 3/4" hex opening, and so some old pressed steel sockets will fit. 
The other one, the No. 8 has  slim profile; sockets are held in place by a clip.  Mine, of course, was broken years ago, but a small retainer clip can be fashioned to hold sockets in place.

This, from AA:     http://alloy-artifacts.org/other-makers-p2.html#guthard
The ORIGINAL Northwoods.

Offline coolford

• Old as dirt
« Reply #86 on: March 03, 2019, 01:42:36 PM »
Guess I didn't look far enough in Alloy Artifacts.  I have another Billmont set that was sold in a paper box.  It only has the old type ratchet and the hex sockets.  Tell the truth I don't remember where I got them, probably e-bay years ago.

Offline skipskip

• Contributor
  • Glenmont NY USA
« Reply #87 on: March 04, 2019, 10:41:55 PM »
I have 3 of the Billmont tools, mine all came with  sockets in the handle.

Having them in a box explains the sockets I have that are too big for the handle.

Skip
A place for everything and everything on the floor

Offline Yadda

« Reply #88 on: March 05, 2019, 06:51:18 AM »
A few weeks ago I purchased this Ayer socket set.  The photo indicated there was a ratchet and several bars.  When I received the set I immediately noticed the item I thought was another bar in the back of the photo was actually a Mossberg No. 355 single direction ratchet.  Bonus! The ratchet was immobile when I received it, but an overnight soak has the 21 sprockets happily thunking.  100 years old (give or take) and all of the sockets, ratchets, bars, and the box are in used, but great shape.

After fully inspecting the set it appears I have most of the Ayer set, along with a Mossberg ratchet and a Mossberg Ford oval socket.  In addition, I have one Walden socket. 

Finally I have a reversible screwdriver bit.  First one I've seen,  but I haven't seen many sets.

My questions:

What does the Oval socket fit?
What constitutes a full set of Ayer sockets? I will make a list of mine this weekend.
Is the screwdriver bit part of the Ayer set?

« Last Edit: March 05, 2019, 06:59:59 AM by Yadda »
You might say I have a tool collecting problem....

Offline Yadda

« Reply #89 on: March 05, 2019, 06:54:18 AM »
More photos.
You might say I have a tool collecting problem....