Author Topic: Short hours and old tools  (Read 1640 times)

Offline john k

• Contributor
Short hours and old tools
« on: January 10, 2015, 11:38:58 PM »
Since before Christmas I have been avoiding the old tool venues.  With the holidays the hours at work are short and so has been the paycheck.  This past week I decided to splurge by stopping at the pawn shop.  Then at a resell store on Friday.   Could have gone overboard on a nice old vise, ($25), but instead stayed with the interesting hand tools.  First I spotted these heavy chrome plated pliers, hard to read the tiny stamp but looks like:  W. Hourth, Jamestown, NY.  haven't pursued any history on them yet.  Also grabbed an eight inch Diamalloy adjustable, with the green dipped handle.  What is different about this is the logo, Extra Wide Opening,  they do seem to open another 3/8 or so from other eight inchers, besides I always liked Diamlloy wrenches.  Then I found a plain old pair of pliers that go too close to some John Deere paint, and a pair of thin-nosed pliers with Forged USA stamping.  Bonney 2725b obstruction wrench, and an oddly thin PROTO double  boxed, AN-8505-9, wonder what special use it was made for?   Got the chisel for a dollar, still fairly thick.  Bought an old box camera too, but thats another whole slippery slope.   Spent a few bucks, a few more things to scrape the rust off of,   now to find some place to put them!   Felt good to throw some money away!
« Last Edit: January 11, 2015, 12:04:31 AM by john k »
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Offline mvwcnews

Re: Short hours and old tools
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2015, 12:18:28 AM »
Diamond , J.H. Williams (& probably others) made "Extra wide opening" adjustables -- the max jaw opening is about 25% wider than the "normal" opening for the length of handle.  The advertising claims that go with these is the tougher steel allowed for greater opening width without springing the jaws. 

Is the big pliers by Hjorth from Jamestown, NY ?

Offline RedVise

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2015, 07:34:07 AM »
     Spent a few bucks, a few more things to scrape the rust off of,   now to find some place to put them! 

That's a good day !!!

Brian

Offline johnsironsanctuary

• Contributor
  • Super Contributor and Geezer in training
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2015, 07:46:48 AM »
I know the feeling, John. I too tend to get a little bit shakey and grouchy if it is too long since my last tool buying fix.
Top monkey of the monkey wrench clan

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2015, 09:33:18 AM »
Me, too! Any day one finds a Diamalloy adjustable with the green vinyl coating still on there is a good day. And the Bonney obstruction wrench ain't bad neither!
Ratchet Guru

Offline BurninBob

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2015, 11:43:20 PM »
John,
That Proto wrench is used for AN fittings.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 11:48:30 PM by BurninBob »
Been wrenching as long as I can remember...

Offline OilyRascal

• Contributor
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2015, 07:03:29 AM »
Felt good to throw some money away!

Boy, do I need you around my place.

Like that chisel.  Looks close to a Fuller chisel I picked up.
"FORGED IN THE USA" myself.  Be good to your tools!

Garden and Yard Rustfinder Extraordinaire!
http://www.papawswrench.com/vboard/index.php?topic=3717