Author Topic: Inside a ratchet: How they work  (Read 227165 times)

Offline mrchuck

• Contributor
  • retired Federal LEO Ranger
Re: Inside a ratchet: How they work
« Reply #180 on: March 08, 2014, 02:56:05 PM »
I have one just like this, 1/4" drive. I just put oil in it and it was good to go into the 1/4" ratchet drawer.
Molon Labe

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #181 on: March 08, 2014, 06:43:29 PM »
Glad you found us here!
When I snagged my first one, I posted it and asked who made it. Various suggestions, but the consensus was Wright tools.
I sold it, as it was too flimsy to really torque on it. And regretted it almost immediately. Was lucky to find another 1/4" and also snagged an S-K 3/8".
Ratchet Guru

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #182 on: June 11, 2014, 12:02:40 AM »

An easy-to-spot "Frankenstein" ratchet, so named because the switching rod sticks out of the neck of the head. S-K and Wright also made "Steiny" rats...

(Post #2 first page)

B-man - I bought a Frankenstein rat identical to yours last Friday. I could not figure out how to get it apart until I did a search and came across this thread.

I got the handle unscrewed, but how the heck do you get the guts out of the head?!

Did you ever figure out a manufacturer? No markings at all ...

Glad to hear my/our little thread here is attracting web attention, and allowed you to find us.
Sorry for the delayed reply. Been a while since I've been searching.
The consensus for the manufacturer is Wright.
Once the handle is unscrewed, the spring should fall out with the ball. You then pry off the press-fit retaining ring on the front of the knuckle gear, and then pull the gear out of the back of the ratchet head. Then the selector rod should slide out.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 12:12:26 AM by bonneyman »
Ratchet Guru

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #183 on: June 11, 2014, 12:08:03 AM »
My latest acquisition - a Chapman mini-ratchet that was frozen and thus required dis-assembly for cleaning and lubing. Thus, you all get to see them guts!
Non-reversible hex drive. A single tic-toc pawl, looks like 20 tooth gear.

Sorry, I was so intent on fixing it and getting it back together - with rivets! - that I forgot to get a close-up with the pawl engaging the drive gear. But I think you can figure out how the pawl and spring sit in the machined grooves of the three stiffener plates.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 10:12:29 AM by bonneyman »
Ratchet Guru

Offline mrchuck

• Contributor
  • retired Federal LEO Ranger
« Reply #184 on: June 11, 2014, 09:13:46 AM »
Regarding the 1/4"ratchet,, There was one on eBay this last week with a price of 29 dollars, and I did NOT bid on it, as I thought this price was just too High!
It did NOT sell,,,no bids.
The "frankenstein" models I have , I don't use them, collectors only.
Molon Labe

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #185 on: June 11, 2014, 10:11:47 AM »
Regarding the 1/4"ratchet,, There was one on eBay this last week with a price of 29 dollars, and I did NOT bid on it, as I thought this price was just too High!
It did NOT sell,,,no bids.
The "frankenstein" models I have , I don't use them, collectors only.

10-4 I would use mine if it will get me out of a jam - but only if nothing else will do, and it's a low torque application.
Ratchet Guru

Offline B17E1943

« Reply #186 on: June 12, 2014, 12:30:01 AM »
Glad to hear my/our little thread here is attracting web attention, and allowed you to find us.
Sorry for the delayed reply. Been a while since I've been searching.
The consensus for the manufacturer is Wright.
Once the handle is unscrewed, the spring should fall out with the ball. You then pry off the press-fit retaining ring on the front of the knuckle gear, and then pull the gear out of the back of the ratchet head. Then the selector rod should slide out.

Thanks, B-man - I wasn't able to get that retaining ring out and I kinda bunged it up in my attempt, so I gave up for now. Not even sure where the thing is at this point. One of these days ...

David

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #187 on: June 12, 2014, 02:12:49 PM »
Well, if you find it and can't get it fixed, send it to me. I'd love to have a spare one of those.  :smiley:

Let me see if I can find the pics of the dis-assembly process. That might help you out.
Update: here they are. Notice I buggared up my retainer ring a little, too.
Ratchet Guru

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #188 on: June 15, 2014, 12:24:43 PM »
I'd like to wish everybody a happy fathers day...and thank all who have contributed to the thread, as we are approaching 17,000 views. Just glad that we're helping folks out here, and that the thread comes up on internet searches. Should help bring more members in.
Ratchet Guru

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #189 on: September 28, 2014, 09:27:15 PM »
Falling down on the job a little here - didn't catch our 20,000 view until now.
Thanks for all the interest, folks!
Ratchet Guru

Offline bear_man

« Reply #190 on: October 01, 2014, 12:37:54 AM »
I too just now found this conversation and have a little 1/4"-er myself.  Now I'm gonna hafta go back through the thread to learn how to pull the swing handle out of it.  PS: I only use it for light stuff and don't have any problems with it, but I do like to Know "just in case."  Thanks!   -bear

Offline OkieTools

« Reply #191 on: January 06, 2015, 12:35:57 PM »
Love this thread, great info. Papaw suggested I post this video here, it is me taking apart and lubing my Papa's late 1960s Husky CB-45 RH ratchet.

http://youtu.be/GvRSQwUyJjs.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2015, 12:29:43 PM by OkieTools »
Vintage tools have a story to tell, and I want to hear it.

Offline OkieTools

« Reply #192 on: January 07, 2015, 10:39:04 PM »
Here is the other video I told Papaw I would post. This is my Fleet 1650-2 "model-2" 1/2in. drive roundhead ratchet, it was my father in-law's. He let me have an old rusted tool box full of crap, in the bottom was a old pillow case, full of 1/2in. metric Popular Mechanic's sockets, and this late 1960's Fleet rat. The Fleet was rusted so bad, I could not even tell what it was, I just put it in the bottom of my tool box and forgot about it. Until I got some evapo-rust from HF, and put it in, thinking if this brings this old rat back to life then it must be good stuff. Well it worked, and after it was all cleaned up I did some research and found out I had a nice jem of a vintage rat, thanks to my father in-law. This video is me taking it apart and lubing it, enjoy. Thanks.

http://youtu.be/NsOzepoWF4o.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2015, 12:30:40 PM by OkieTools »
Vintage tools have a story to tell, and I want to hear it.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #193 on: January 08, 2015, 09:14:17 AM »
Great video, Okie! That gear cluster design held in by a coiled flat spring seems to be a real popular one. Very similar to Thorsen Action, Bonney, etc.
Probably also some NB types - though I've never come across any of those in person.
Ratchet Guru

Offline turnnut

« Reply #194 on: January 08, 2015, 03:19:39 PM »
Okie, I enjoyed your video on the ratchet.

what would make your videos pop, would be showing a picture of the tool
before you start the cleaning process.

keep up the good work.

thanks, Frank