Author Topic: Contents of the shoe box that came with the small shoe hammer.  (Read 2450 times)

Offline Stoney

• Contributor
  • New Market, Alabama
Contents of the shoe box that came with the small shoe hammer.
« on: December 26, 2011, 05:11:04 PM »
Here are the contents of the shoe box.

The shoe anvils are different to most anvils I've seen.  The universal anvil, bottom left, is the type most farm families had when I was growing up.

Closeup of the tack boxes.  For those of you that don't know, the tacks are made to curl up when they hit the anvil.  This curl grips the leather and holds the heel on.  A leather inner liner is glued in and covers the curled tack tip.

Closeup of the heels.  From what I know about heels I think '30's.  What's neat is the fact that there are three brands and a pair of used heels.  They are from the left, Pancrom Diamond Grip, Schacht Daisy and W in a Diamond Master Tread.  The tacks go in the holes in the heels so the heads are hid and do not mark the floor.

Anvil mounted on an anvil stand I already had.
I plan to build a three legged shoe bench and set up a display honoring my Great Great GrandPa Woodall.  He was a cobbler and harness maker working in the Maysville, Alabama area, where I grew up, from the 1840's. 
"Never laugh at live dragons" Bilbo Baggins "The
Hobbit"

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."
-Thomas Edison

http://www.plantshepherdplus.com

Offline rusty

Re: Contents of the shoe box that came with the small shoe hammer.
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2011, 06:10:40 PM »

The pancrom heel may be the most interesting thing in the box. panco/panther rubber seems to have dropped it early on and changed it to Biltrite to go with their new marketing name. (American Biltrite Rubber Co)...
 The daisy one is later, 40's-60's (Schacht Rubber Manufacturing Co).

Mastertread appears to be a FW Woolworth brand....which dates it to the 30's

Very nice :)

Just a weathered light rust/WD40 mix patina.

Offline Papaw

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Alvin, Texas
    • Papawswrench
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2011, 06:35:22 PM »
Stoney, I have some three sided lasts I bought from a guy at his junk shop once to help him out of a money situation. Paid too much and have never been able to get rid of them. Want one?
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Flickr page- https://www.flickr.com/photos/nhankamer/

Offline Stoney

• Contributor
  • New Market, Alabama
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2011, 06:52:53 PM »
Thanks Rusty for the info.  That's more than I had.  And yes Papaw I sure would like one. Thanks.
"Never laugh at live dragons" Bilbo Baggins "The
Hobbit"

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."
-Thomas Edison

http://www.plantshepherdplus.com