Author Topic: 47 Whitworth - installment 2  (Read 1012 times)

Online amecks

47 Whitworth - installment 2
« on: May 27, 2020, 09:22:21 PM »
Now I have two matched sets of Gray Canada wrenches - I'll only show one set - after which some of the following wrenches might seem dull,  but there are still some curiosities to come.
Of these chrome plated Grays there were 3 extras including two of the largest size - one of those I'll keep since I don't have any that size currently. 
All but the largest is forged "Gray Chrome-Vandium" on the shank, stamped "Made in Canada By Gray" and numbered.  On the reverse is only the sizes in BSW stamped.  The big wrench differs in that it is stamped only "Chrome Vanadium" on the shank, otherwise all marks the same.

These chrome Grays have no special military markings.
A Bonney wrench with the "CV in a Circle" forged mark and also "Chrome-Vanadium".  Stamped with Whitworth sizes, it also has the decimal inch measurement stamped on the heads.  On the shank is stamped "AT8010".

Two wrenches now, with Air Ministry Crown markings.  I have no details on the meaning of the AM and Crown markings.
First is a heavy wrench marked on in BSW and BSF sizes with the AM Crown mark stamped on the reverse.

Second is a wrench that resembles a T Williams Superslim but is thicker and has no TW markings.  It does however have the AM Crown mark forged into the reverse.
Forged into the front is the date 1941 and wrench sizes in BSW and BSF.

I like this style of wrench - it may also be a keeper.
Have to quit now - its getting late - more wrenches to post later.

Al
Jordan, NY

Offline Downwindtracker2

Re: 47 Whitworth - installment 2
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2020, 08:22:17 PM »
those Grays are sweet

Offline humber2

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2020, 12:36:36 AM »
AT8010 is from a PACKARD Merlin aero engine toolkit.

Online amecks

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2020, 06:52:22 AM »
humber2,  Thanks for the comments on this Bonney wrench with AT8010,  a connection to one of the most famous engines made.  Also the H.F. & Co. wrench - Harry Frost - the wrench is stamped 1944 at which time H.F & Co. would have been owned by Brockhouse, another famous name and the company that once owned the Indian marque.
Great stuff.  Graces Guide is a great reference and on my favorites list.
Al
Jordan, NY