Author Topic: Nailer or Stapler?  (Read 1909 times)

Offline OilyRascal

• Contributor
    • Facebook Profile
Nailer or Stapler?
« on: October 01, 2012, 04:32:18 AM »
I have this device I purchased as part of a lot.  I was told it was a hardwood flooring nailer.  I'm having a hard time understanding how that could be.  It looks that it would not accept a nail or staple over 1" long.  Most h/w flooring I've seen, particularly of any age, is at least 3/4" thick.  That would leave only 1/4" into the nailing surface.  The total length is 12".  The plunge is only about 1-1/2" deep.  There are no markings outside "AP - L".  I'm assuming that is a reference to an old power company; "Arkansas Power & Light".

It has that "V" shape in the head whereas to expose the working end so a person could see the "center".

Any ideas on what it is, who made it, and its vintage?

"FORGED IN THE USA" myself.  Be good to your tools!

Garden and Yard Rustfinder Extraordinaire!
http://www.papawswrench.com/vboard/index.php?topic=3717

Offline Branson

Re: Nailer or Stapler?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2012, 09:08:41 AM »
>Most h/w flooring I've seen, particularly of any age, is at least 3/4" thick.  That would leave only 1/4" into the nailing surface.

If this is a flooring nailer, it's not for face nailing.  It would be for t&g flooring, shooting a nail at about 55 degrees through the top of the tongue.  But  one inch for flooring?  I don't think so.

Offline geneg

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2012, 08:57:34 AM »
What does the slide look like?  U in center for staples or single row for brads?  Could just be a manual brad nailer for bench/assembly work.  I really don't see a great advantage to carrying it around unless you were nailing a lot of small items. 

Offline oldtools

• Keep OldTools alive by giving them a purpose
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2012, 04:09:35 PM »
Is the base to head <90deg.? what is the latch on back end, is that for the nail feed, spring loaded? what does the front end look like? could be to toe nail floor boards so the nail doesn't show,  like Branson's post.
Aloha!  the OldTool guy
Master Monkey Wrench Scaler

Offline rusty

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2012, 05:49:28 PM »

Perhaps for crates?
Just a weathered light rust/WD40 mix patina.