Author Topic: My "New" Peerless Universal Shaping Saw (Hacksaw)  (Read 14490 times)

Offline oldgoaly

Re: My "New" Peerless Universal Shaping Saw (Hacksaw)
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2017, 08:12:06 AM »
On my Keller there are 2 slots under the vise in the catch tray, oh do they love to clog up! especially the saw blade side. I keep a old broken saw blade (found in the reservoir ) to keep the slots clean. I use wd 40 sometime drill and it evaporates quickly cause of the heat.
Try a couple of each blades, that 6 tooth is not going to like tubing!
Two things to look out for in your reservoir  1 there is a divider in mine (I guess to try to keep swarf from getting to the pump) 2 the outlet of the reservoir and inlet to the pump, crap gets in there and clogs that pipe! I ended up replacing a couple of the 1/4 or 3/8 iron pipe fittings, easier than cleaning them.
A bunch of pics (5000+) of tools and projects in our shoppe
https://www.facebook.com/187845251266156/photos/?tab=albums

Offline Twilight Fenrir

« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2017, 08:41:39 AM »
on e-bay, there is a 10 inch Peerless Shaping saw.  model "Universal"    s/n 456   estimated as 1934

item # 360694717110

tested & runs

does your pan slant down in one corner ??   if it does, that is where I would look for the drain hole.

if you scrape the pan, you may want to keep a shop vac  going as you scrape to keep slag/crum from going into the tank.
Boy, that one has been modified quite a bit... I don't believe that 456 is the serial # though... The serial #s are stamped into the frame, not cast into it like he shows... You can see a little plaque on the frame next to the saw part, that's where the SN should be... Mine is #2599

I should find my shop vac...

On my Keller there are 2 slots under the vise in the catch tray, oh do they love to clog up! especially the saw blade side. I keep a old broken saw blade (found in the reservoir ) to keep the slots clean. I use wd 40 sometime drill and it evaporates quickly cause of the heat.
Try a couple of each blades, that 6 tooth is not going to like tubing!
Two things to look out for in your reservoir  1 there is a divider in mine (I guess to try to keep swarf from getting to the pump) 2 the outlet of the reservoir and inlet to the pump, crap gets in there and clogs that pipe! I ended up replacing a couple of the 1/4 or 3/8 iron pipe fittings, easier than cleaning them.

Yeah, I'll pick up a few different TPI blades. A 6, and a 10 or 14...

I figure I'm going to put a little screen around the sump to try and keep particulates at bay, or maybe pick up a fuel tank pickup sock like inside of a car to hook to the pump... But I still haven't thrown time at the coolant system. I expect to be able to blow the lines out with my air compressor. But if not, I can easily replace the parts, just a bunch of 1/4" iron pipe.

Offline Twilight Fenrir

« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2017, 11:37:45 AM »
Jackpot.

My local steel yard has a pile of blades. Apparently they can't get rid of the things, so he sold 'em to me for $3 each. I considered buying all of them... But I only took 9 :P All 4 of the Lennox blades, and 5 of the Starret. 9 blades for the price of one from Amazon or Mcmaster Carr :D

Maybe I SHOULD go back for the rest of the starret... I bet they' d make good damascus/knives...

Offline oldgoaly

« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2017, 12:35:21 PM »
That sounds like a plan, are you there yet?

Offline Twilight Fenrir

« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2017, 02:04:50 PM »
That sounds like a plan, are you there yet?
lol, I've got my 9 blades... I can afford to wait to go back, the guys there know me. And I have more necessary things to throw money at at the moment.. I won't be too upset if they disappear from under me.

Offline oldgoaly

« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2017, 03:04:46 PM »
I cut a bunch of 4140 blanks fro a defunct axle plant(jobs to mexico) here in So.Ill. (2007)I remember that because I had the right knee surgery in the morning and was at the scrap yard that afternoon. Got 600# but should have gotten more!  I was weraing blades out lots of 1" to 3" cuts then I took a worn blade and embedded tungsten carbide and put that into see how it worked been cutting with it since! As long as you don't try cutting some harden steel, that happen to me on the lathe hhs does not like hard steel!  Now I have a simple test: one of the spring loaded center punches, set it then check the dimple it makes on known hard and soft metal. You have yourself a DIY hardness test kit.
On the cheap too!
« Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 03:06:36 PM by oldgoaly »

Offline Twilight Fenrir

« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2017, 03:28:05 PM »
I cut a bunch of 4140 blanks fro a defunct axle plant(jobs to mexico) here in So.Ill. (2007)I remember that because I had the right knee surgery in the morning and was at the scrap yard that afternoon. Got 600# but should have gotten more!  I was weraing blades out lots of 1" to 3" cuts then I took a worn blade and embedded tungsten carbide and put that into see how it worked been cutting with it since! As long as you don't try cutting some harden steel, that happen to me on the lathe hhs does not like hard steel!  Now I have a simple test: one of the spring loaded center punches, set it then check the dimple it makes on known hard and soft metal. You have yourself a DIY hardness test kit.
On the cheap too!
I'm a blacksmith, I've got pretty good ideas what's hard and what's not, and I can take the hardness out of anything I can fit in my forge, or reasonably take a cutting torch to... But, you're definitely right, I should go pick up those blades... And I'll do so as soon as I've got a little more money to play with. Fixing the saw at all right now is an ill-advised expenditure, but I can't help it XD

The other easy way for checking hardness is to take a file to the mystery metal. If it bites in, it's probably fine. If it slides over the surface like glass, it's too hard, and will need to be annealed.

I am curious how you impregnated your blade with Tungsten Carbide though o.o

Offline oldgoaly

Offline Twilight Fenrir

« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2017, 08:37:18 PM »
http://rocklinmanufacturingco.com/rocklinizer/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ym1dHLr7jG8&ytbChannel=Rocklin%20Manufacturing%20Co.
I have old 600 & 314, 314 is to run a tap zapper
What the hell? What sort of wizardry is this?!? O_O That's incredible! Never have I heard of, nor seen such a thing... Wow!

Well, I putzed with my saw s'more today... I scraped off as much paint as I easily could, and then cleaned out the coolant sumps... which were exactly as horrifying as I expected.... gelatanous globs of iron shavings... I also found the drain for the top tray, it was on the opposite side of the saw, where I was not looking. I also replaced all the penetrating oil with the gear oil I plan to actually use the machine with, and the whole thing turns beautifully. <3

My flat belt comes tomorrow, after I slip that on, I should pretty much be in business as far as mechanical operation goes! I still need to figure out coolant, and I still need to move some crap out of where my saw is going to live, but I think I've already pretty much got a working saw! Huzzah! :D

« Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 08:40:12 PM by Twilight Fenrir »

Offline oldgoaly

« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2017, 09:38:46 PM »
works for snips and hole punches!  I have this set of tin snips that cut like crap, only used them one rusty cutouts. So I was playing with the rocklinizer and put a layer on them. Didn't tell my son about just had him cutout some rust on a project. He had it cut out in a few seconds and came to the other end of the shop to ask what the hell I did to those snips because they never cut like that before. I just smiled and said grab ol'sloppy and try it. Ol' sloppy is a Whitney-Jensen small hole punch with 1/8" punch set, well worn out till I put .003 layer of TC on each cutting edge. I paid 3$ for the punch figured some day I would get a set of dies. I have another complete set, plus the bigger set. I did them too but just put .001 layer. It's that accurate.

Offline Twilight Fenrir

« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2017, 06:03:55 AM »
Alrighty! Here we go... Err... Hang on...

https://youtu.be/8dS9xgyzr6s

Sorry about the screeching noise...
« Last Edit: June 09, 2017, 06:29:21 AM by Twilight Fenrir »

Offline turnnut

« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2017, 09:35:58 AM »
 GREAT ! I don't know who was smiling the most, you or me.

was glad to see it running, I know that you were also glad. job well done. now you can get back to your other projects.

Offline oldgoaly

« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2017, 09:37:11 AM »
Round 7?  It took me a little time to get the vise aligned and tight, on the Keller it's not it's best idea, but it can cut straight!
Is that a Johnson gas 122 or 133 forge in the background?

Offline turnnut

« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2017, 09:56:32 AM »
 Twilight must have read the teachers manual from the early 1840's

"Tis a lesson you should heed, try, try again, if at first you don't succeed, try, try again."

Offline Twilight Fenrir

« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2017, 10:49:31 AM »
Haha, I alternated between smiles and bewildered scowls in the course of those videos. But I was more astonished awe when it actually started chewing into that rail... I didn't cut any deeper after the vid, not having coolant going through it, but I bet I can cut that rail in 10 minutes with this saw. My bandsaw took hours, and it couldn't cut all the way through it...

The vise is weird... It has a series of furrows in the base that a piece on the moveable jaw sets into, then there's a handle that turns a sprocket like nut... There's an L shaped pin that holds the piece that engages the furrows, and when I turned the pin it lifted and lowered the pice a little, so I thought that was how it went from one furrow to another... Not the case, the pin was just bent. Have to pull out the pin, lift the adjuster, set it in the trough  you want, put the pin back in, and crank the little nut back on... It holds it nice and tight, once you figure out how the heck it works...

I picked up 2 Johnson forges from the place I got the press, and hacksaw, $40 each :D I'm not sure of the models, they're low on my priority list. One is much older than the other, made of much heavier steel with fewer bells and whistles than the other. Will fish out a picture in a minute here...