Author Topic: Hand Planes  (Read 327539 times)

Offline coolford

• Old as dirt
Re: Hand Planes
« Reply #720 on: June 26, 2018, 03:43:36 PM »
Finally getting around to open the boxes from the 900 pounds of planes I brought up from Florida.  Moved on February 21st, don't think I ever want to move again.  Will take months to go through this stuff, first couple of boxes brought up these two 15 inch No. 5 1/2 bodies.  I have identified the one on the left as a Rockford (will you agree ??) but have no idea about the one on the right----it is not in great shape anyway, but would like to identify it if possible.  The Rockford ? is grooved, actually 15 1/8 inches long and 2 3/4 inches wide.  The No 05 1/2 is 15 inches long and 2 9/16 inches wide.

Offline Jim C.

« Reply #721 on: June 26, 2018, 06:43:11 PM »
Hey coolford,

Thanks for checking in.  I’m not familiar with Rockford hand planes, but I’m ready to be educated!  Tell us what you know.  Do you have the rest of the parts for your plane?  When was it made?  I’m glad to hear your collection is in the “unpacking phase” of your move.  I’m looking forward to seeing A LOT MORE of it.

Jim C.
Our Go-To Type Study Member

Offline Jim C.

« Reply #722 on: June 27, 2018, 12:35:56 PM »
Well I did do a little research on Rockford hand planes.  They are identified with a letter “R” on their casting along with the plane’s size on the heel or toe.  Apparently they were manufactured in Rockford, Illinois, (about 1915 - 1924), and came in sizes 3 through 8.  I’m assuming those are the commonly known bench plane sizes utilized by Stanley and others.   All sizes were manufactured with smooth and corrugated soles. Rockfords were also available in #4 1/2 and #5 1/2 sizes.  I couldn’t find any information regarding block planes manufactured by Rockford.  Anyway, to answer coolford’s question, I would agree that he has a partial Rockford plane. I hope he has the rest of it!!

Jim C.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2018, 12:46:43 PM by Jim C. »

Offline bill300d

« Reply #723 on: June 27, 2018, 02:11:58 PM »
I haven't had the need nor desire to learn all there is to know about hand planes but read the post in here and have garnered a lot from all you all. I am far from a cabinet maker, more like a poor excuse for a framer.
A person who could really read human minds would be privileged to gaze on some correct imitations of chaos.

Offline coolford

• Old as dirt
« Reply #724 on: June 27, 2018, 03:52:18 PM »
Jim C----Thanks for the information, I have the frog, front knob and tote, but have yet to find a blade and curler, but it may be in one of the other 50+ boxes.  Actually I'm a name collector, not a Stanley collector although I have a lot of Stanley planes.  However, I didn't have a Rockford and now I have one.  As you can suspect, I have a lot of what most Stanley collectors consider junk planes since I'm interested in the names.  Another plane that was in one of the first boxes was a "Duty", at least that is what is on the blade and on the body is "Made in USA".  It is a No.5, nice cast body and frog and painted bright blue.

Offline Jim C.

« Reply #725 on: June 27, 2018, 08:50:40 PM »

I'm hardly the hand plane expert, and would more likely categorize myself as an enthusiastic user and collector.  The best education one can receive is usually self imposed.  If this thread acts as a catalyst for that curious individual to take the next step, then that's great.

Hi bill300d,

Thanks for stopping by the Hand Plane thread.  Way, way, way back in the thread, I said this ^^^^.  So, no need to qualify yourself here.  If the thread inspires you to learn a little more about hand planes, or causes you to try one out, then my mission has been accomplished.  I hope you’ll keep checking in and will not hesitate to add to the discussion.

Jim C.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2018, 07:31:07 AM by Jim C. »

Offline Jim C.

« Reply #726 on: June 27, 2018, 09:06:09 PM »
Jim C----Thanks for the information, I have the frog, front knob and tote, but have yet to find a blade and curler, but it may be in one of the other 50+ boxes.  Actually I'm a name collector, not a Stanley collector although I have a lot of Stanley planes.  However, I didn't have a Rockford and now I have one.  As you can suspect, I have a lot of what most Stanley collectors consider junk planes since I'm interested in the names.  Another plane that was in one of the first boxes was a "Duty", at least that is what is on the blade and on the body is "Made in USA".  It is a No.5, nice cast body and frog and painted bright blue.

Hey coolford,

Based on my recently self imposed crash course on Rockford planes, I think the irons were stamped with the word “ROCKFORD” in a semi-circular design, and if I got it right, the knob and tote were made of walnut.  That might look kinda nice!  If you have all the parts, I’m hoping you’ll get them all assembled and show us an example of a Rockford bench plane.

As for your collecting habits, and what you like, that’s up to you.  I personally would like to see what other manufacturers were producing.  I’m mostly a Stanley collector, but this is not an exclusively Stanley hand plane thread.  I mostly feature old Stanleys only because that’s what I have.  I hope that won’t stop you from showing us other planes from other manufacturers! Let’s start with that Rockford.

Jim C. 

Offline coolford

• Old as dirt
« Reply #727 on: June 28, 2018, 04:07:34 PM »
Jim-C---Lets not start with Rockford, it will take me some time to get around to restoring it.  Here is a little old Moulson Brothers plane that I like for its small size.  This one came to me by way of my grandfather who had several planes.  I tried using this one several times but finally gave up, adjusting the blade with the wedge is time consuming and I don't think I ever got it just right.---coolford

Offline Jim C.

« Reply #728 on: June 28, 2018, 09:09:51 PM »
coolford,

Wow, nice little plane, and even better that you know where it came from!  As an heirloom, that’s definitely one to hang on to.  You made an interesting observation that has occurred to me almost every time I’ve had a wooden plane in my hand, that is, I haven’t really mastered the technique necessary to adjust it.  I think there’s some mysterious science to tapping it just right and in the right spot to make fine adjustments.  I haven’t had much success and my early failures kept me away from subsequent attempts.  Practice would probably make all the difference in the world.  Since you brought up the subject, I may as well be honest and admit that not knowing the technique for adjusting wooden planes is probably the number one reason I don’t use them.  I have just a few that were given to me, but I consciously avoid them in favor of the familiar/easy to use “cast iron.”  I’m absolutely sure that I’m missing out on a whole segment of planes that would be great to try out and collect.  Based on my severe lack of storage space, maybe it’s best that I stick to what I know!

Anyway, thanks for posting a couple pictures of your Moulson plane.  Do you know anything about the manufacturer? 

Jim C.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2018, 07:00:36 AM by Jim C. »

Offline coolford

• Old as dirt
« Reply #729 on: June 29, 2018, 09:11:29 PM »
Jim-C---I really know nothing about Moulson Brothers except that they were from Sheffield, England.  Their planes can be found on e-bay and are generally inexpensive.  Here is a little Stanley catalog that I acquired when I bought a pile of how to do it books at a farm auction a few years ago.  Stanley Rule & Level Co. Catalog No. 102 which according to information inside was published in 1900.  The cover is faded and has some roach feeding, inside it is fine except that some of the pages are loose.----Coolford

Offline Jim C.

« Reply #730 on: June 29, 2018, 10:49:44 PM »
The last few days I’ve been looking at the thread index trying to determine where to go next, and skimming through a few of the pages reading some of the topics we covered in the past.  I was also looking at a few photos I took while I was at the MWTCA meet a couple weeks ago in Lansing, Michigan.  One plane that seemed to keep popping up here in the thread and at the tool meet in Lansing was the Stanley #62 block plane.  I featured the #62 way back on page 39, reply 577.  When I featured the #62, one of the main points I tried to make regarding the plane was the fragility of its throat.  They crack almost by just giving them a dirty look!  I’m not exaggerating when I say that at least half of those I see at swap meets etc. are cracked behind the throat where the casting tapers to nothing.

While I was in the trade room in Lansing, I ran across three different #62 block planes up for sale by three different gentlemen.  Two of them were cracked right behind the throat.  If you look at the photo below, you’ll see what initially looks like a user quality #62 right in the middle of a group of planes.  See it?  At first glance, one will see that the rear tote has a pretty good-sized piece missing at the top.  While not critical to the plane’s performance, remember that the correct rear tote on a #62 is specific to the plane itself.  I’ve seen those totes sold separately from time to time, and as one may guess, they’re expensive.  For a trip down memory (maybe bad memory) lane, go back and review my post on “chasing parts” (page 43, reply 643).

Anyway, even though the rear tote was chipped, I still had to look at the throat.  EVERY TIME I see a #62, I pick it up and look at the throat.  EVERY SINGLE TIME!  It’s an irresistible compulsion.  So I picked it up and sure enough, there it was, another cracked throat!  What I found refreshing however, was the fact that the seller added a small piece of brown masking tape to the sole with a red arrow drawn on it, clearly pointing out the flaw.  The crack could hardly go unnoticed, but the seller wanted to make sure, and I appreciated the effort.  Although I’ve seen many cracked #62 planes, that was the first time I can recall a seller making a little extra effort to voluntarily point it out.

Unfortunately, this #62 is probably an expensive parts plane now.  Like I’ve said in the past, unless you’re going into the plane parts business, avoid buying incomplete and/or damaged examples. 

Jim C. 
« Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 01:02:19 PM by Jim C. »

Offline Jim C.

« Reply #731 on: June 30, 2018, 06:21:28 AM »
Hi Coolford,

Thanks for posting that catalog page!  Wow!  Wouldn’t it be great to have a time machine?  Back in 1900 when that catalog was printed, I’m sure no one thought the planes depicted on just that one page would be worth a few thousand dollars!   A #9, #62, #97, #131....... Great picture!  If you feel like posting a few more photos from your catalog, I think we’d all appreciate it.  That catalog is certainly a nice resource when it comes to putting a time frame on a plane’s age.  Thanks again for the post.

Jim C.

Offline Papaw

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Alvin, Texas
    • Papawswrench
« Reply #732 on: June 30, 2018, 01:21:47 PM »
Digging up some more tools to sell, I found several planes that have come to me in lots. I am no plane user in general, so they aren't much in my wheelhouse.
Looks like a Stanley 110, a Craftsman 10" jack, a Sargent 14" jack, and two transitionals 14".

More pictures available.
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Flickr page- https://www.flickr.com/photos/nhankamer/

Offline Jim C.

« Reply #733 on: June 30, 2018, 02:05:32 PM »
Hi Papaw,

It looks like you have a few good user quality planes.  With just a little clean up and a sharp iron, they’d be ready to go back to work.  That #110 looks like it needs a new front knob.  Those are pretty common so you shouldn’t have too much trouble finding one for about $10 - $15 depending on condition.

Jim C.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 02:13:29 PM by Jim C. »

Offline Jim C.

« Reply #734 on: July 02, 2018, 05:38:52 PM »
Okay, so the last plane I featured was the Stanley #97 chisel plane.  I’m not so sure that was a fan favorite here.  The #97 is definitely a specialty tool that provides a little more versatility out in the shop, but probably not enough to put high on one’s “must have” list, nor worth the expense to buy one for occasional use when another more affordable tool will get the job done.  If you didn’t know the #97 existed, now you know.  So maybe we should get back to the bare bones basics.

Stanley #220:

Now even if you’re not much into woodworking but are engaged in a project that needs a little adjustment to make things go together, this block plane will probably fit the bill perfectly.  The Stanley #220 is a general-purpose block plane designed for what I would call construction type work.  It’s not really made for fine finish work like the Stanley #65 block plane for instance. (See page 16, reply 238.)  Unlike the #65’s adjustable throat and iron bedded at a low twelve degrees, the #220 has a fixed throat and features a cutting iron that’s bedded at about twenty three degrees, or a few degrees higher than the standard twenty degrees found on many other block planes.  (For a detailed discussion on the bedded angles of Stanley block planes, refer back to Bill Houghton’s insightful comments on page 22, reply 325.  The #220 is essentially a larger version of the Stanley #203.  See page 22, reply 319.  Also see the two side-by-side comparison photos below.)  Although Stanley did not design the #220 to be a high end plane, it still incorporates the same iron advancement and retraction mechanism found on many other Stanley block plane patterns to include a couple that were higher end tools, like the #62 for example.  That is a nice feature to have to achieve those fine advancement and retraction adjustments.  However, notice that it does not have a lateral adjustment lever.  Another nice feature but not available on the #220. Based on the simple design of the #220 and its lack of some desirable mechanical adjustments and features found on other block planes, the #220 is easy to use and screams out to a DIYer who needs a block plane to simply take a few long shavings off the edge of a deck board to make it fit perfectly between two others, or to a gardener who needs to round the edges of a support stake to keep it from cutting into a plant’s leaves, stems, vegetables, etc.  It’s a plane that can be used in the garage, backyard, jobsite, and anywhere one needs the utility of a tool that can do a respectable job of removing a thin to medium shaving of wood.

Although you may not have noticed it, if you’ve ever been to a garage sale, or a flea market, or a tool swap meet, there’s bound to have been a Stanley #220 for sale.  I see them everywhere.  This is one of Stanley’s most common, easy to find block planes.  It was produced from 1898 well into the 1980s.  There are probably millions of them out there in the wild.  That being said, don’t buy one that’s damaged or incomplete.  With just a little looking around, I promise you’ll come across another one at the next flea market in good user quality condition.  Typically, the little rosewood knob on those examples I’ve seen at garage sales, etc., is often missing.  The knobs are pretty easy to find, but depending on their condition, they can cost right around ten dollars give or take.  A complete #220 in user condition probably isn’t worth much more than ten dollars, so why double the cost of the plane by paying for parts?  Even though this is a common inexpensive plane be mindful of its condition.  Buy a good one to use and don’t compromise on one that’s been beaten badly and/or neglected.  Finally, don’t expect fine finish work results from a tool that was designed for general-purpose/construction use. Frustration only results from using a plane on a job it was not intended to do.  Like a lot of planes, a super sharp iron is half the battle.  With the #220, a sharp iron is pretty much the whole battle.  This plane performs like a champ when one’s expectations are realistic, and the plane is put to the right task.

Jim C.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2018, 10:15:11 AM by Jim C. »