Author Topic: Hand Planes  (Read 327655 times)

Jim C. and 8 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online Jim C.

Re: Hand Planes
« Reply #690 on: June 10, 2018, 04:45:31 PM »
Throughout the course of the thread, I’ve referred to various planes, and depicted a few, that I really like to use.  Some of these planes are “specialty” tools that I don’t use as often as others, like the Rumbold butt mortise plane (see page 17, reply 254), but because they do a specific job so well they’re the tool of choice for the job at hand.  Then there are a few that I can’t help but use every time wood is involved, like the Lie-Nielsen #60 ½ (see page 19, reply 270), because they’re literally staples that can’t be overlooked for their utility and versatility.  Out in my shop there’s a third category of “user” planes.  For lack of a better term, I’ll refer to them as “any excuse” planes.  That means, any excuse I can think of to use such a tool is all I need to pull it off the shelf and put it to work.  This is one of those tools…..

Stanley #605 ½:

I bought this plane over a dozen years ago as I was making my last pass through a tool show trade room in St. Charles, IL.  I didn’t specifically go looking for a #605 ½, and more or less stumbled upon it.  As I was heading for the door, I passed by a table full of what I remember were nice “user quality” Stanley bench planes, many of which were Bedrocks.  It’s not like I had missed this seller’s table earlier and just discovered it as I was leaving.  I saw his stuff, made a mental note, and kept moving.  His prices were on the outer edge of reasonable and I wasn’t really looking for bench planes.  So, a couple hours later as I was heading for the parking lot, my shortest walk out of the trade room took me past his table again.  We made eye contact as I got closer and he asked how I did.  “Okay” I said, slowed down for a second, and then I asked if he sold anything.  “A couple” was the response I got.  Just as I was getting ready to keep going, the front knob of this #605 ½ caught my eye.  It had a distinct dark and light section that went almost down the middle of the turning.  I’m guessing it’s where the sapwood met the heartwood of the tree.  Every once in a while I’ll come across a plane that has unusual wood grain on its knob and/or tote.  This one just caught my eye.  Funny thing is that I missed it a couple hours earlier when I initially looked at the planes on his table.  Well, I put my bag down and picked up this plane for a closer look.  You know what happens next.

I didn’t need this plane.  The price, while in the ballpark, was a little high for what I thought I was getting.  The cash I budgeted was pretty much gone, and if I wanted it, I’d have to write a check.  While not the end of the world, I don’t typically like to over spend the cash in my pocket.  On the other hand, I didn’t have a “user” in this size, and it was an early Bedrock, which I’m drawn to.  I evaluated the plane for condition, disassembled it (with the seller’s permission), and generally liked what I saw.  It was complete with all vintage correct parts, its condition and patina matched its age, and it bore the signs of a life well lived but not abused.  While the plane had been lightly and carefully cleaned, its finishes were original to include some chipped japanning, minor pitting on exposed cast iron and some tiny cracks and dings on the knob and tote.  This is what I personally like to see on a vintage, user quality tool that at the time was almost one hundred years old.  Anyway, the seller and I negotiated a little, I think I slightly overpaid and the deal was struck.

Not long after I got the plane home, I completely disassembled it, re-ground and sharpened the iron, lubricated the moving and threaded parts and put it back together.  With a few adjustments, it was ready to go.  I could probably ramble on and on all day long about my love for this plane, but you’d be bored.  (Maybe you already are!!)  Let me just say that the tool Gods were smiling when this plane was manufactured.  I didn’t do anything different to this plane that I haven’t done to so many others, but for some unknown reason, it cuts like no other.  It might just be one of those tools.  I really can’t explain it, but that’s why it falls into my “any excuse” to use it category.  I look for, and sometimes invent, jobs for this plane.  I guess one of the central themes I’ve tried to relate during the course of this thread is the absolute satisfaction and inspiration that can be had from using an old plane, even if its on a simple task like building a dog ramp. (See page 46, reply 682).  This plane does it for me.  So there you have it.  I guess I should end with a few comments about the plane itself.

Stanley produced the Bedrock #605 ½ between 1898 and 1935.  The plane depicted below is a Type 4 Bedrock, which was produced between 1908 and 1910.  The Type 4 was the last version of the Bedrock series that was made with the arched sides commonly seen on standard bench planes.  It was also the last Bedrock to use the standard method of attaching the frog to the sole/main body casting of the plane with screws only.  (For a more detailed discussion regarding Bedrock frog design/attachment, see page 42, reply 624.)  In 1911, when the Type 5 Bedrocks were introduced, the arched sides were gone in favor of distinctive flat top sides and the standard screw attachment between the frog and main casting was replaced with a dimpled pin and perpendicular pointed screw arrangement.  (Again, see page 42, reply 624.)  Finally, one thing to note about the #605 ½ and early versions of the Stanley #5 ½ is that in 1939 the dimensions of the iron changed.  The first versions of both planes were outfitted with 2 ¼” wide irons.  After 1939 or so, the #5 ½ was outfitted with an iron that was 2 3/8” wide.  What I’m saying is that any Stanley #605 ½ you come across should be fitted with a 2 ¼” wide iron.  That iron is characteristic to the #605 ½ and early #5 ½ planes.  When looking to buy a #605 ½ make sure to check the width of the iron.

Sorry this was a long one (again).  Thanks for hanging in there.

Jim C.                     
« Last Edit: June 10, 2018, 09:33:33 PM by Jim C. »
Our Go-To Type Study Member

Online Jim C.

« Reply #691 on: June 10, 2018, 04:45:48 PM »
A few more photos of the Stanley #605 1/2.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2018, 09:32:43 PM by Jim C. »

Online Jim C.

« Reply #692 on: June 11, 2018, 07:05:27 AM »
So you’ve seen one of my all time favorite user planes; the Stanley #605 1/2.  Anyone else have a plane they like to use whenever possible, or one that seems to get used more often than not? 

Jim C. 

Offline p_toad

« Reply #693 on: June 11, 2018, 09:13:48 AM »
I know these don't follow your progression, but i thought i would share a couple of images.   The No. 6 has the corrugated sole.   For some reason I like these.   One day I'll pull out a new in the box and get a picture of it.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2018, 09:15:40 AM by p_toad »

Online Jim C.

« Reply #694 on: June 11, 2018, 11:21:54 AM »
Hey p.,

First off, let me thank you for joining in the conversation and posting a couple pictures.  Second, I HAVE NO PROGRESSION!!  Seriously, I can honestly say that I have zero game plan.  All I’m trying to do is foster hand plane discussion, use, knowledge, etc.   The planes and plane related topics I feature are generated by planes I might be using at the time, finding a plane in my shop that I haven’t seen lately, conversations started by people like you who read the thread, etc.  Believe me, there’s no set agenda.  My only request is that we keep the content focused on hand planes.  If we stray off course a little now and then, that’s okay too.

If you’ve been reading along, then you know one of my all time favorite planes to use is the Stanley #71 1/2 router.  Yours is a really great example.  That’s one of those designs that really delivers.  It’s a fantastic plane to use.  If you’d like to put an age on your router, I’d highly encourage you to go back a few days to Bill Houghton’s post (reply 688), where he added a link to a couple Stanley router plane type studies.

As for your #6, well, it’s really a coincidence that you posted a picture of it and I’m not surprised that you like that it.  I didn’t want to clutter up the #605 1/2 post with #6 comments because my write ups are long enough as it is, but prior to buying the #605 1/2 I featured above, my go to jointer was a #6.  There are other places on the internet, and a commentator or two who don’t give the #6 enough credit.  Some even disparage it saying it’s an unusual size.  I really think the #6 is perfectly sized and long enough for flattening large surfaces, and for edge joining boards.  There’s probably many out there who are believers in the #7 and #8 sizes, but I think they’re heavy and long, and back in the day, expensive.  I suspect that more than a few craftsmen may have had the same thoughts. 

Not that this is scientific by any means, but over the years, I have received many, many planes from extended family, friends, neighbors, coworkers, etc.  I can’t tell you how many times I’ve heard, “My dad was a woodworker....” or “These planes belonged to my grandpa....” or “My uncle was a carpenter...”  On those occasions, when I get what appears to be a working collection of planes, there’s always a block plane or two, always #4 smoother, and usually something longer like a #5 or #6.  Only once have I ever received a #8 sized plane, and to date, never a #7.  Funny thing is that I have four #6 sized planes that were given to me.  I really think the #6 was preferred by many woodworkers and craftsmen over the larger sizes (#7 and #8) for their portability, usable diversity, and most bang for the buck.

Thanks for posting the photos and for jumping into the conversation.  Any time you want to go in any hand plane related direction, feel free.   We’ll go with you!

Jim C.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 11:49:10 AM by Jim C. »

Offline lptools

• Global Moderator
« Reply #695 on: June 13, 2018, 03:33:23 PM »
Hello, Jim. Thanks for all of your info with this thread!! I hope that posting block planes is within topic.These 2 block planes are dedicated to my day job/work truck. I use the 9-1/4 ( on the left) for general purpose, and the 65 for finer work, and the hardwoods.I do a lot of scribing/fitting of wood trim, cabinet stiles, , back cuts, & back bevels, etc. I keep them sharp, moving parts lightly oiled, and each has its own heavy cloth plane sock. Front knob on the 65 is not original.Regards, Lou
Member of PHARTS-  Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Offline p_toad

« Reply #696 on: June 13, 2018, 05:54:51 PM »
as i found them, new in the box some years ago at an old hardware store...not sure why i bought them   :embarrassed:

thought you might like to see them anyway.   :smiley:

Offline lptools

• Global Moderator
« Reply #697 on: June 13, 2018, 08:05:29 PM »
Very nice!!!!
Member of PHARTS-  Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Online Jim C.

« Reply #698 on: June 13, 2018, 08:43:34 PM »
Hey Lou,

Thanks for adding some great content to the thread.  Your post is EXACTLY what I hoped to see when I started the thread.  There’s nothing better than seeing old planes and getting the back story too.  Way back in the thread, I featured the #9 1/4 and #65 block planes (see page 1, reply 8 and page 16, reply 238 respectively).  I tried to describe their uses and hoped to encourage others to give them a try.  While I can write about these planes all day long, a post such as yours, that describes their real world uses, is invaluable.  I can’t think of a better post to shed a bright light on the utility of hand planes.  The #9 1/4 really is a nice, inexpensive, general use plane. A true workhorse.  In my opinion, the #65 is probably the best block plane Stanley ever produced.  It’s unquestionably the type of plane one would use for finish work. Great planes and a great post.  Thanks again for jumping in.  If you have any other planes you’d like to feature, particularly those that you use, please feel free to do so.

Jim C.

Online Jim C.

« Reply #699 on: June 13, 2018, 09:01:32 PM »
Hi p.,

I’m not gonna even try to hide my jealously.  Anytime I see old planes in their original boxes, the collector part of me gets excited.  Your #40 is a perfect example.  Do you use it?  The #40 is one of those planes that I’d recommend every woodworker have.  It’s typically the first one I grab when I start to flatten rough boards.  It’s a must have tool for sure.  Your #75 is another nice plane.  A small rabbet plane will always have a place in my shop.  A couple years ago, my #75 was one of my “go to” planes during a window sash project I had going on.  You have two really nice NOS planes.  I’m envious!  Thanks for the photos!

Jim C.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 06:55:02 AM by Jim C. »

Online Jim C.

« Reply #700 on: June 14, 2018, 07:17:07 AM »
Somewhere back in the thread, I may have mentioned the Midwest Tool Collectors Association.  I’m guessing that some of you are members.  If not, it’s a great organization that’s dedicated to old tools. What could be better than that?   They’re website is easy to find.  If you’re not familiar with MWTCA, I encourage you to check them out.  Every year, MWTCA puts on two national meets; one in the Spring and one in the Fall.  The Spring meet is this weekend in Lansing, MI.  If you like hunting for old tools and talking to like minded tool collectors/enthusiasts, this is the place for you.  Anyone going? 

Jim C.

Offline p_toad

« Reply #701 on: June 14, 2018, 01:15:20 PM »
i would like that a lot.   Used to go to fleamarkets and yard sales and stuff (BC), but a lot of that got put on a back burner as the kids were growing up and i haven't gotten back into it.   Anyway, suspect i would be banned for  :embarrassed: drool.

Offline Bill Houghton

« Reply #702 on: June 14, 2018, 01:20:04 PM »
Anyway, suspect i would be banned for  :embarrassed: drool.
Just carry an empty cup as you peruse the tables.

Online Jim C.

« Reply #703 on: June 14, 2018, 01:41:18 PM »
Hey p.,

I’ll bring an extra paper cup for you!  I’m going with a shopping list.  Rarely do I ever come home with anything on the list because I usually see something else that I absolutely gotta have.  I usually can’t pass up a good block plane, I might go for the occasional Bedrock, and always have my radar on high alert for a Sargent Autoset.  Everything else is fair game too.  It just depends on how something strikes me.  Sometimes I go with a collector mentality and other times with a user mentality.  It just kind of hits me when I get there.  I’ll try to stay disciplined, use my flashlight and magnifying glass when necessary, and have fun.  I’ll try to take a few photos too.

Jim C.

Online Jim C.

« Reply #704 on: June 15, 2018, 04:08:47 PM »

..........and always have my radar on high alert for a Sargent Autoset........

Jim C.

Yesterday I mentioned that I'd be going to the MWTCA meet this weekend in Lansing, MI., and I also said this... (see quote above)  Well, about twenty five minutes after I got there and started walking around, I spotted this!!!  See it right there in the middle of the picture?  Is that a super clean 710 Autoset?

Jim C.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2018, 05:05:52 PM by Jim C. »