Author Topic: MHH Torque wrench  (Read 2208 times)

Online Lostmind

• Wellington, Ohio 44090
MHH Torque wrench
« on: July 08, 2012, 01:42:44 PM »
I thought I would share this before I list it for sale.I picked it up because it was so unusual.
Made by MHH Industries in England.It is an Inch pound torque wrench with ratchet head for 3/8" drive. You turn the tool over to reverse directions.
This had a green finish originaly , I'm guessing to cover the rough finish on the casting.
They started in buisness in 1937, and still make the highest quality torque wrenchs available,so their ad says.
I found one listed that calls it an Aircraft tool.These cost about $300.00 for todays models.
Anybody know what justifys the cost , are they military specs?
Sorry for the poor shot of the dial , it has a curved lenes cover and reflects the light.
Let me know your thoughts ,thanks Roy
« Last Edit: July 08, 2012, 01:47:02 PM by Lostmind »
Of all the things I've lost , I miss my mind the most

Offline pritch

Re: MHH Torque wrench
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2012, 09:31:05 PM »
That's pretty cool! I need a inch-pound torque wrench, but not that one:)

It seems to me, though, that instead of turning it over to reverse, the drives would be for so you could tighten bolts without having to turn it over. Like if one bolt was head-up and another was head-down. Might be handier in tight quartered aircraft aplications.

Online Lostmind

• Wellington, Ohio 44090
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2012, 06:28:04 AM »
Pritch , that makes sense,I was always told you're not supposed to use a torque wrench to loosen.
thanks Roy

Offline ray

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2012, 01:45:04 AM »
How about left and right hand threads ?

Ray

Offline rusty

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2012, 05:45:23 PM »

It isn't so much that it is bad to use the torque wrench in reverse, sometimes you do in fact want to know what the release torque is on a bolt. but what you don't want to do it exceed the rating on the torque wrench, which is very very easy to do removing a bolt without realizing it.

>How about left and right hand threads ?
Common example, torque on a harmonic balancer pulley on an engine that happens to rotate counterclockwise and therefore has a counterclockwise bolt in it...

Mostly tho, I suspect it was just easier to design the wrench guts without including a reverse mechanism in there with all the other stuff...

>Anybody know what justifys the cost , are they military specs?
Dunno how old that one is, but modern aircraft tools that have anything to do with measurement must go through a fairly complex and strict certification process. They aren't gonna be cheap after that ;P

Top 10 things you want to hear on an airline flight:
 1) The port engine was assembled by a fellow with a torque wrench he bought at Harbour Freight for $18.....
Just a weathered light rust/WD40 mix patina.

Offline stanley62

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2012, 12:01:55 PM »
Harbor...aka HORROR...Freight...

Jim
Always looking for Stanley planes and parts, Mossberg and Plomb wrenches.

Online Lostmind

• Wellington, Ohio 44090
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2012, 06:38:59 AM »
it's got a new home,he's going to use it.