Author Topic: Scraper?  (Read 1053 times)

Offline Catch22!

Scraper?
« on: June 08, 2021, 11:59:19 AM »
This was in a box of tools I got at a flea market.  There is a slide over the individual wires that I assume tightens the wires together.  The tips of the wires are shaped to a point.

I assume it is some kind of scraper, but I figured it was one for the group.  No identifying marks or numbers on the tool that I can find.

Offline john k

• Contributor
Re: Scraper?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2021, 12:17:10 PM »
Carbon scraper, piston tops, combustion chamber,  used them a lot in the 60s-70s.
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Offline Lostmind

• Wellington, Ohio 44090
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2021, 12:56:43 PM »
Carbon scraper, piston tops, combustion chamber,  used them a lot in the 60s-70s.

Don't need them now with unleaded gas and no oil consumption.
I used mine at least once a week while I was working. Not sure what it's good for now.
Of all the things I've lost , I miss my mind the most

Offline Bill Houghton

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2021, 01:03:31 PM »
And not just unleaded gas.  Between the quality of the gasoline until the 1960s and the cleanliness of the combustion process, pulling the head to scrape carbon off the piston tops and combustion area was a common practice at one time.  Your average competent do-it-yourself car owner would do it as often as needed.

There are a couple of books by a guy who bought a WWII surplus amphibious Jeep and modified it to be ocean-worthy so he could sail/drive it around the world.  In the middle of the first one, he describes pulling the head off the Jeep motor mid-ocean (not easy, because there was a cross-member just above the motor) so he could scrape the carbon off the motor, and realizing, while the head's off, that there's a huge storm brewing.  He manages to finish the job before the storm hits, so he can turn the Jeep into the waves.

I own one of these; never found a use for it, but I'm sure there's a use lurking out there somewhere.

Offline amecks

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2021, 01:23:56 PM »
It can used as a gasket scraper, so they still have usefulness.
Al
Jordan, NY

Offline d42jeep

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2021, 05:58:32 PM »
They were included in early WW2 Motor Vehicle Mechanics Tool Sets. Here are my Plomb ones.
-Don
Member of PHARTS-  Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society
CONTRIBUTOR

Offline Catch22!

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2021, 06:51:23 PM »
Wow.  The group comes through again.  I actually can use this.  I have 2 British Sports Cars and have taken the head off to decarbonize the pistons.

I rebuild a 4 cylinder herculese air compressor motor a month back. It would have been great to have this when I took the head off that.

Offline Northwoods

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2021, 09:40:08 AM »
Thomas Johnson of Ghoram (wait for it) Maine could use it to scrape old glue off a piece before reassembling it.    ;-)
The ORIGINAL Northwoods.