Author Topic: My 1st Alligator Wrench, Sorta  (Read 3496 times)

Offline lauver

• Belton, TX
My 1st Alligator Wrench, Sorta
« on: August 06, 2011, 08:13:29 PM »
Gang,

Just wanted to share a little wrench I picked up in a batch of tools.  It's 6" overall and has one open end and one alligator end.  I don't know if this is typical of alligator wrenches.  The only stamping I can find on the wrench is "INDIAN"; don't know if that is a brand, OEM, or what.  In spite of heavy rust and some abuse, I think it's a handsome specimen.  Here's a few pics for your tool savy eyes:

Is this wrench typical of the alligator type? What does Indian refer too?  Could this be an Indian motorcycle kit wrench?  Just wondering.
Member of PHARTS - Pefect Handle Admiration, Restoration, and Torturing Society

lzenglish

Re: My 1st Alligator Wrench, Sorta
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2011, 08:37:27 PM »
Nice! I hope it is part of an old Indian Motorcycle tool kit, but I don't know for sure.

Wayne

Offline jimwrench

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2011, 08:45:15 PM »
 Looks like it is for your motocycle (spelling is correct) Thats the way Indian motocycles are designated.
Jim
Mr. Dollarwrench

Offline lauver

• Belton, TX
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2011, 09:25:30 PM »
Thanks guys,

Now all I gotta do is find an Indian Motocycle and I'll be set.  Anybody got a vintage Indian laying around their garage?

Offline Wrenchmensch

• Contributor
  • Wrenches tell of man's freedom to think
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2011, 09:25:33 PM »
An Indian Motocycle flat steel wrench without the word Motocycle on it is uncommon.  I haven't seen one before.  The picture below shows the range of commonly found Indian wrenches, including flat ones.  The one in the middle shows the alligator wrench similar to the one you have, only it has "Indian Motocycles" stamped on it.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2011, 12:53:37 PM by Wrenchmensch »

Offline lauver

• Belton, TX
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2011, 09:37:23 PM »
An Indian Motocycle flat steel wrench without the word Motocycle on it is uncommon.  I haven't seen one before.  The picture below shows the range of commonly found Indian wrenches, including flat ones.  The one in the middle shows the alligator wrench similar to the one you have, only it has "Indian Motocycle" stamped on it.

wrenchmensch,

Could it be a fake?  Or maybe there was an Indian tool company? 

At any rate, I like the looks of the Indian Motocycle wrenches you posted, especially the double box end wrenches

lzenglish

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2011, 10:02:09 PM »
I found 2 Indian wrenches on ebay without the motorcycle script on them, so maybe there is more to the story.

Wayne

edit: I tried to give you a link, but it did not take, sorry! You can just google "Indian Motorcycle forum", and it will take you there.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2011, 10:20:21 PM by lzenglish »

Offline jimwrench

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2011, 10:11:03 PM »
 I doubt that its a fake: its not valuable enough for someone to go to that much trouble and way back iin yesteryear I think I've seen that stamping.
Jim
Mr. Dollarwrench

Offline Bus

• Contributor
    • The Wrenchingnews
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2011, 10:50:14 PM »
There is an excellent book on Indian Motocycles toolkit tools. I have a copy but can't find it right now. The flat steel "INDIAN" (in quotation marks) marked wrenches are thought to be aftermarket Indian wrenches. There are quite a few available but seem to hold their price. I think there have been at least one or two on Ebay ever since I got a computer in the Fall of 1998. Some variations do seem to be rare and I am still lacking one or two.

Offline lauver

• Belton, TX
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2011, 03:49:02 PM »
Gang,

It sounds like the consensus is leaning towards an aftermarket wrench. Seems plausable.  A similar situation exists with Ford kit wrenches, with many many variations.