Author Topic: King Dick automotive or motorcycle tool roll  (Read 703 times)

Offline moparthug

King Dick automotive or motorcycle tool roll
« on: April 05, 2024, 08:19:30 PM »
Just picked up this old tool roll full of King Dick wrenches and such. The roll seems to be oiled burlap with a leather strap, due to it's age it's... um, shedding bits of dinosaur every time I unroll it. 2 open end wrenches, 3 nut drivers with T-bar, and a tire iron all marked King Dick. There are a couple empty slots in the tool roll, I'm guessing for an adjustable wrench and a screwdriver?

Does anyone have a set like this, or can point me in the right direction to figure out it's age and what vehicle it may have come with? English tools are a mystery to me, like why after the size it says A/F. As an American I know what AF means, but I doubt that's what the Brits meant.  :smiley:  My more modern English tools have Whitworth stampings... what does A/F stand for?

Rogue River, OR.

Offline Jim C.

Re: King Dick automotive or motorcycle tool roll
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2024, 05:17:16 AM »
A/F might mean Across the Flats in England too. 

Jim C.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2024, 05:22:39 AM by Jim C. »
Our Go-To Type Study Member

Offline amecks

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2024, 08:00:23 AM »
I have a lot of exprience with British motorcycles and yes, A/F means "across the flats" over the pond. 

Jim,  what is the story behind the tool kit photo you posted?  Looks a lot like moparthug's kit.
Al
Jordan, NY

Offline Jim C.

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2024, 04:00:56 PM »
Hey Al,

That tool kit is what would have been included from the factory if you had purchased a brand new 1955 MG.  The tools are the real deal in terms of originality.  Also included but not shown was a jack with a collapsing handle/crank, a small grease gun, a brake line bleeder kit, a tire iron and an engine crank wrench.  The burlap tool role is a faithful reproduction of the original.  The only tool I’m missing is the middle size tube spanner.

Jim C.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2024, 04:03:00 PM by Jim C. »

Offline amecks

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2024, 05:40:19 PM »
that's amazing Jim.  Would it be possible to list any markings on the tools?  I imagine they are not all King Dick brand.  Is that a 7" adjustable?  I have one, maybe two, marked Made In England.

Al
Jordan, NY

Offline Jim C.

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2024, 06:46:43 PM »
Al,

Let me dig them out and I’ll get the list for you.  Most of them are King Dick.  The tire tools are Dunlop I think.  The grease gun is another manufacturer.  Like I said, let me get them out and I’ll give you a better answer.

Jim C.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2024, 07:51:53 PM by Jim C. »

Offline Jim C.

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2024, 07:42:38 PM »
Al,

Here’s the list.  The only tool I’m missing is the 5/16 W x 3/8 W tube spanner. Everything else is factory supplied original and issued with the car.  The burlap tool role is a top notch reproduction.

Engine crank wrench manufacturer unknown
Jack with collapsing two piece handle - King Dick
Tire iron manufacturer unknown
Tire air pump - I know it’s original but I can’t recall the manufacturer
Lockheed brake bleeder tube
Grease gun - Enots
3 DOE spanners - King Dick
3 tube spanners - King Dick  (missing one)
Screwdriver- King Dick
Cylinder head closed spanner unknown manufacturer
7” adjustable wrench - King Dick (marked Made in England)
3/4# hammer unknown manufacturer
2 tire removal bars - Dunlop
6” pliers - King Dick
1/4 W hex closed spanner - King Dick
Small screwdriver w/feeler - Lucas
Feeler gap gauge - King Dick
Small brass tire air valve wrench - Dunlop

There you have it Al.  I’m just one wrench short of a complete set.  I hope this information is helpful to you.

Jim C.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2024, 07:50:13 PM by Jim C. »

Offline amecks

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2024, 08:29:55 PM »
Thanks Jim. I'll keep an eye out for the tube spanner.
Al
Jordan, NY

Offline Jim C.

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2024, 07:05:25 AM »
Many thanks Al. I’ve been looking for that tube spanner for a few years now.  Most of the tools came with the car, but I’ve had to track down a few too.  As you know, authentic original factory supplied tools are tough to come by and when they do show up, they’re expensive.  There’s a guy in Pennsylvania that specializes in old British car parts, factory supplied tool kits and auto paraphernalia.  I did buy a few things from him including the reproduction tool role.  He sells nice stuff and he’s extremely knowledgeable about what he sells.  But that comes with a price.  If you ever do find that tube spanner, let me have the first shot at it if you don’t need it. I’m not looking for a freebie!!

I’ve collected some other Whitworth tools over the years, that I actually used to restore the car, and still use to maintain it.  I don’t use any of the original tools supplied with the car.  Back in the early 1960s, Sears/Craftsman offered a set of Whitworth wrenches and sockets. The sockets were all 1/2” drive.  I collected the set in anticipation of eventually buying the car.  When the time finally came to do some restoration work, I found that the Craftsman 1/2” drive stuff was too big to effectively use, and the wrenches were too long.  In a mad scramble to find some Whitworth tools, I came across Koken sockets in 1/4” and 3/8” drives.  Those were great to use and the quality was very good.  They were a bit pricey but not as expensive as Snap On.  I also came across a set of Whitworth SuperSlim wrenches that are okay and a set of Proto wrenches that I used and still use.  The Whitworth tools are out there, you just have to find what works best with the British vehicle you’re working on.

Jim C.

Offline skipskip

• Contributor
  • Glenmont NY USA
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2024, 08:32:56 AM »
dimensions or writing on the missing tube spanner?
A place for everything and everything on the floor

Offline amecks

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2024, 02:56:51 PM »
"missing is the 5/16 W x 3/8 W tube spanner"  -  I checked my tube spanner stuff for sale and do not have one. 

I have a (I think) complete set of T Williams SuperSlim wrenches and box ends.  Having older British motorcycles they are a neccessity.

Regards
Al
Al
Jordan, NY