Author Topic: Odd Tongs Dividers ?  (Read 2806 times)

Offline wvtools

• Contributor
Odd Tongs Dividers ?
« on: January 18, 2013, 05:14:12 PM »
I have ended up with 4 pairs of these things.  I am not sure what to call them when I put them on Ebay.  They have joints and legs very similar to heavy blacksmith's/wheelwright's compasses and dividers.  However, the tips are odd and different than on those dividers.  One leg turns inward at 90 degrees on the end and it nests into a concave rounded other tip.

Does anybody here have any ideas?

Thanks,

John
WVTools

Offline Papaw

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Alvin, Texas
    • Papawswrench
Re: Odd Tongs Dividers ?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2013, 07:06:08 PM »
Could be cotter pin removing tools.
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Flickr page- https://www.flickr.com/photos/nhankamer/

Offline johnsironsanctuary

• Contributor
  • Super Contributor and Geezer in training
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2013, 08:07:34 PM »
Looks like you could use it as a tack holder, but I keep thinking coopers tool. I just can't figure out what the split would fit on while the ball tip made a mark on the OD.
Top monkey of the monkey wrench clan

Offline rusty

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2013, 09:22:54 PM »

Nicely made, full box joint and all, but, yeah, what the heck does the end fit into?
Just a weathered light rust/WD40 mix patina.

Offline Billman49

• Collector of edged tools, especially billhooks...
    • A Load of Old Billhooks
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2013, 04:57:47 AM »
I have seen these before, and should remember what they are used for, but alas old age is catching up.... Somewhere I have a faint memory that Papaw is in the right ballpark... Lynch pin removers for wagon/carriage wheel axles???

Offline anglesmith

• Mid Northcoast NSW Australia
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2013, 05:15:06 AM »
These  are called a clip wrench or clip tongs for putting the clip or keep plate on the Ubolts on the axles of carts and sulkies  See Salaman's dictionary of woodworking tools page 533. These have come up before!
Graeme

Offline Billman49

• Collector of edged tools, especially billhooks...
    • A Load of Old Billhooks
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2013, 11:01:04 AM »
Well done - now I remember - I was only about one foot away from the correct answer - I recall now that there is a French video showing a wheelright using them to assemble the axle of a small cart...

Offline wvtools

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2013, 10:07:33 PM »
Graeme,

Thanks a lot.  I appreciate the information.  Now I think I will keep a couple to take to a tractor shows instead of selling them all on Ebay.  I like to have conversation pieces, particularly when I know what they are.

I looked through several sections of Salaman and several other books last night looking to the answer.  I was hung up on it being some kind of scribe because they have the same joint and leg (but not tip) pattern as old heavy dividers.  I did not think to look in wrenches.  I should have because the bent tip looks like a hook spanner wrench end.

Thanks,

John

Offline anglesmith

• Mid Northcoast NSW Australia
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2013, 04:27:15 AM »
WVTools, John If you check through some sulky/waggon hardwear catalogs I think you will find similar joints on the folding sulky hood iron work? Where the joint is different to most calipers etc, are those two large shoulders that limit the unfolding and there also is no tapering of the legs that caliper/dividers would normally have.  I have not explained that well, but I think you will get what I'm meaning!
Graeme

Offline wvtools

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2013, 07:35:26 AM »
I have had a few pairs of the dividers that look just like these, except the tip.  I have posted a photo below.  Look at the top one.  Also, of the 4 pairs of clip tongs that I have, only 1 has the shoulders to keep them from opening to 180 degrees.

JMH