Author Topic: What are they?  (Read 2579 times)

Offline wvtools

• Contributor
What are they?
« on: January 10, 2012, 06:58:09 PM »
I thought I would run these by here before I put them on Ebay.  Yes, I know they are handles.  The wooden parts remind me of the handles on agate burnishers.  The shaft is hinged, which is odd.  Could they be some kind of buffer or burnisher handles that took different heads?  If that is the case, then why would they be hinged?

Thanks,

John

Offline john k

• Contributor
Re: What are they?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2012, 01:04:46 PM »
Long ago I remember watching a real craftsman push dents out musical instruments.  Had a whole wall of odd shaped things to push down into trombones, saxophones etc. Wonder if these could be the handles for such things?  With the hinge, and any size tool could screw on?
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Offline crankshaftdan II

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2012, 02:28:29 PM »
Long ago I remember watching a real craftsman push dents out musical instruments.  Had a whole wall of odd shaped things to push down into trombones, saxophones etc. Wonder if these could be the handles for such things?  With the hinge, and any size tool could screw on?

Sort of the PDR tools of yesterday!!
E-mail address  dhdslimbow@yahoo.com
Looking for USA made ratchets-all sizes-drives and lengths  also S-K SuperKrome wrenches ditto.  Like to trade vs buy run it past me-nothing is cut in stone!

Offline wvtools

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2012, 12:49:08 PM »
That could be it.  I looked in my reference books and online, but could not find anything definitive.  The modern dent removal tools have a straight rod handles that havedifferent sized balls or other shapes that screw on the end.

Offline Aunt Phil

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2012, 12:53:38 PM »
Generally the use of any tool is indicated by the handle, fancy handles indicate delicate and gentle function, although an exception exists for screwdrivers.

Those handles weren't made for exerting force.
Timing has a lot to do with the outcome of a rain dance!

Offline wvtools

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2012, 10:22:01 PM »
Generally the use of any tool is indicated by the handle, fancy handles indicate delicate and gentle function, although an exception exists for screwdrivers.

That leads me back to my original idea.  What if it is a combination of the two? -- maybe they are for buffing/polishing the inside of musical instruments.

Offline BruceS

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2012, 05:51:20 PM »
Sure look like fancy versions of the rosette & timbale handles  my wife has.   Used to make fancy deep fried little waffles.

Offline KeepinOldBolts

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2012, 06:09:18 PM »

Agreed...and since they are not twins, I sense they are used to PULL on something, thus the ergo styling to not allow a hand to be pulled from the grip.
Old tractors, old cars, new Harleys

Looking for HinsDale 4 points 1/2dr in a few sizes and a Bonney 12point 1/2" in 3/8dr.

Offline rusty

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2012, 07:07:24 PM »

The flat end is also for pushing.

I wonder if we should also be considering non tools.
The shape somewhat resembles stop knobs for a pipe organ, tho they are perhaps 50% too long. ......
Just a weathered light rust/WD40 mix patina.