Author Topic: Whatsit #2 -- 062513  (Read 1457 times)

Offline wvtools

• Contributor
Whatsit #2 -- 062513
« on: June 25, 2013, 01:45:15 PM »
Some kind of leather burnisher?

« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 01:56:13 PM by wvtools »

Offline keykeeper

Re: Whatsit #2 -- 062513
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2013, 09:29:33 AM »
Looks like some sort of hold down, to fit the pritchel hole of an anvil. The folded over/rounded end was a common way to make tools to fit on the anvil. I've seen spring fullers made with ends like this to set on anvils while being used.

Curious tool, for sure.
-Aaron C.

My vintage tool Want list:
Wards Master Quality 1/2" drive sockets (Need size 5/8), long extension, & speeder handle.
-Vlchek WB* series double box wrenches.
-Hinsdale double-box end round shank wrenches.

Offline RWalters

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2013, 12:22:12 PM »
Hmm... As to the idea of them being hold downs, I can see where the folded over part would go in the pritchel hole and the longer flattened portion might serve to hold something in place. I've got some woodworking hold downs that work on the same principle. The wood working hold downs are held in place in the bench by tapping them down with a mallet - straight pin into slightly slanted hole holds with sufficient strength until you tap them out from the underside of the bench. With that concept in mind, what about the end of the doubled over portion?  Looking at the rounded cut there, I'm not sure a person could tap on the end, and if not, what would hold it tight to the anvil? And what would the purpose of that cut be? Hard to tell from the pictures if it's ground to an edge or just ground out. Looking at the pictures again, I think the cut on the end might be important to figuring this out. It was clearly there for a purpose and from the look of it, appears to have been done with more care than the fold over or flattening the long leg. Just my thoughts.

Offline Bill Houghton

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2013, 04:30:29 PM »
I've been looking at these several whatsits, and wonder if some of them aren't blacksmithing exercises.

Offline Branson

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2013, 06:04:07 AM »
Depending on the anvil, the thickness at the heel, they could be tapped out.  But I don't think that's what they're for.  A hold-fast depends on the shank being mostly above the surface of the anvil or bench, and having some spring action to press down. (Try tapping the back of the shank to use them, by the way -- works way easier than tapping the bottom of the shank.) 

Whoever made them took care to round the fold, and that looks almost like a handle.   And what about the way the end of the short arm has been worked and sharpened.  Looks like some kind of cutter for making reeds or half-rounds.  I think that is the business end of these tools.