Author Topic: Unknown Tool ? Part Bracket Thing 041213  (Read 1737 times)

Offline wvtools

• Contributor
Unknown Tool ? Part Bracket Thing 041213
« on: April 12, 2013, 06:51:57 AM »
I bought these at the flea market, and I have no idea what they are.  They are marked with the dreaded Pat Apld For.

Does anyone have any ideas that could steer me in the direction of the patent?

Thanks,

John

Offline ron darner

• RIP 4-18-1941- 9-30-2014
Re: Unknown Tool ? Part Bracket Thing 041213
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2013, 02:06:05 PM »
Sorry - I certainly can't recognize them.  However, I will post some observations in hope that they will trigger a memory or idea for someone else to build on.
First, I believe that these were used in pairs against a mostly-flat surface, and were located and oriented by the cast-in lugs on the back.  Second,I think that some other object was held or located by the "jaw" openings, probably trapped between them, possibly with limited motion.  Third, they were attached to their surface by means of flat-head or oval-headed screws (if those holes are countersunk as it appears to me).  The chamfer suggests that they were deliberately intended to minimize projection, so as to prevent snagging or interference.  The colored finish indicates likely indoor use, or at least where somewhat protected from weather, and that they were intended to have some decorative aspect.  The smooth surface & chamfers might mean that they were intended to protect the edges of the surface that they mounted upon; I'd guess wood, which also correlates with the use of screws with countersunk heads.  They might have flanked an opening of some sort.
Comments & critiques welcome!
Arrogance and Ignorance have more in common than their last four letters!

Offline rusty

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2013, 03:45:02 PM »

And something round was inside the slot, there is a small circular clearance cut just above the screw on the back side.....

Just a weathered light rust/WD40 mix patina.

Offline JohnD

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2013, 12:53:18 PM »
Ron D and Rusty both make excellent points that come from what I like to think of as "forensic" analysis of parts. Parts manufactured in considerable quantity have to be made at low cost which means all features are there for a reason and features that have no function are NOT included. I've discussed mystery tools with folks and simple solutions are sometimes proposed that don't make sense because they have to assume that the extra widget, gadget, extra material, machined feature, or whatever was put there for no reason. 
 I agree with all the above comments and will add a few. Style of lettering dates them to late 1800s / early 1900s possibly. These were made in a quantity to justify nice patterns and castings. A one-off type problem would have been solved with pieces hand fabricated from stock. They are mirror image parts so we can assume the intended function could NOT be accomplished with identical parts. I picture them mounted, directly opposed, on opposite sides of something to hold the ends of a roller or shaft in the notches, obviously by gravity. Likely only hand operated since something under steady power would have had some sort of oilable bushing or bearing. Shaft needed to spin freely and be easily removable. When shaft was not in notches I think it was sometimes rolled along the edges of the hooked side of parts since the 2nd photo shows those edges smooth and flat as opposed to the rough casting on the other side. Possibly attached to wood with screws but they could have been mounted with countersunk machine screws to something metal. My mind jumped to the early hand cranked mimeograph machines, maybe to hold the drum while getting it ready to go. I looked at google images of these machines and see left and right hand versions of parts somewhat similar but no exact matches.
 I'm curious, if you look close at the bottom of notches can you tell if something has been spinning in them?

Offline wvtools

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2013, 10:29:30 PM »
The bottom of the groove does not have wear marks, but the lower tip of the groove of one of the brackets is worn.  That would match your theory of holding a roller shaft if one end was repeatedly taken out to insert a roll of material or perhaps a belt.