Author Topic: Vintage Bluepoint standard (short) combination wrenches  (Read 2612 times)

Offline scooter

Vintage Bluepoint standard (short) combination wrenches
« on: February 22, 2013, 08:11:37 PM »
I am posting a picture of some vintage Bluepoint combination wrenches in an attempt to see if anyone can confirm the existance of a 3/8 combination wrench with forged identity markings.   I have collected this wrench set over the last 15+ years, and it has been really slow going getting them.   Research of numerous sources say these wrenches were made between 1934 to 1937 when the style changed to have the marking stamped into the wrench.  As you can see in photo, the 7/16 through the 3/4 wrench are all of the early style.   However, the 3/8 is of the later style.   Can anyone confirm the existance of the early, raised identity marking wrench in 3/8"?  (OEX-120)   I have searched for these wrenches for years, have never even seen one.   If you happen to have one, I would love to see a picture, and would be interested if it is available.  Research of old Snapon catalogs show the 7/16 to 11/16 available in the 1934 & 35 catalogs, and were available as set number OEX-50.   In 1936 & 37 the 3/8 and 3/4 were added, and the set became OEX-70.   Most sources state the stamp markings replaced the raised markings sometime in 1937, as that year is when both have been identified with date markings.   If this is so, that makes the wrench I am looking for pretty rare, produced only in 36 and early 37. 

Also you may note the 1/2 wrench has been identity marked with a "K" by someone with a hacksaw.  I call this one "Klem", as that is what I want to believe the owner's name was......Would love to replace it too, as the rest of the set is pretty clean of previous owner marks.   I would also consider swaps, as I have a significant number of old Bluepoint, Snapon, Blackhawk and other tools.

Offline Branson

Re: Vintage Bluepoint standard (short) combination wrenches
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2013, 08:29:48 AM »
I'd be interested in learning more about these wrenches.  Not long ago I came across a 9/16 that followed me home.

Offline scooter

Re: Vintage Bluepoint standard (short) combination wrenches
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2013, 08:32:29 PM »
Best to read Alloy Artifacts or collecting Snap On sites for history.  What I know is these were the first combination style wrenches sold by Snap On\Bluepoint and per the above references, this style was produced between 1934-1937.  About that time the were chromed, and the markings were stamped into wrenches.  Date markings are sometimes on them, but very hard to find on all.  I have often wondered if maybe they were produced again in this style during WWII, to build them cheaper, & ID them from the newer style being sold.  Just a theory.   I like them because they represent a direct linage to the current OEX- wrenches being sold today.  I have these short ones, & also have a complete set of the longer wrenches from 7/16" to 1 1/4".  (oex14 to oex40)   They are fun to collect because they canny be found, but not too easily.  I have bought many for a dollar,  but also groaned a lot when I have seen someone wanting a price for one I wanted which was close to what a new sells for.  Some think a Snap On dealer would warranty these.  Not a chance........