Author Topic: Thorsen tools collection  (Read 123502 times)

Offline kxxr

Re: Thorsen tools collection
« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2012, 07:17:43 PM »
It says "Speed-Hed" and the small print says "pat. applied for". They don't show up very often in my neck of the woods.

Offline TOOLHOUND!

« Reply #31 on: July 31, 2012, 07:26:17 PM »
Thorsen Oakland California, you don't see that everday.

More I think about it, there was some NOS stuff I bought in the 90's from a guy who went to an auction for a hardware store that locked its doors in the late 60's (or so the guy claimed).  Some of the wrenches were SK Lectrolite, but I think there was some Thorsen in the lot he sold me. 

Time for more digging...................   
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 08:17:28 PM by TOOLHOUND! »

Offline rusty

« Reply #32 on: July 31, 2012, 07:35:21 PM »

The Speed-hed patent was granted in 1951, so you have a date range for that one at least....

Astonishing collection Oily....
Just a weathered light rust/WD40 mix patina.

Offline TOOLHOUND!

« Reply #33 on: July 31, 2012, 07:52:13 PM »
Wrench pictures with the framework on the numbering construct.  They were made in, at least, the following configurations; not yet addressing the various shank styles, scripting, and markings.

10xx series - short pattern - metric combination wrenches with an offset on the 12 point boxed end.

Do you have any of the chrome raised panel Thorsens?

Offline TOOLHOUND!

« Reply #34 on: July 31, 2012, 08:16:45 PM »
Thorsen Oakland California, you don't see that everday.

More I think about it, there was some NOS stuff I bought in the 90's from a guy who went to an auction for a hardware store that locked its doors in the late 60's (or so the guy claimed).  Some of the wrenches were SK Lectrolite, but I think there was some Thorsen in the lot he sold me. 

Time for more digging...................   

Found them!   Thorsen's plating wasn't the best from the factory.................these may have a speckle in some spots from humidity over time, or some minute shelf wear, but you can't tell they were ever used.................
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 08:18:47 PM by TOOLHOUND! »

Offline OilyRascal

• Contributor
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 31, 2012, 08:32:53 PM »
I hold nothing about this thread sacred or personal - if you have Thorsen related comments please leave them.  If you have Thorsen tools not represented (or better represented) please post pictures of them.  Its high time for a good Thorsen thread to build on and learn from.

Do you have any of the chrome raised panel Thorsens?

A few, Yes.  But nothing the same as with the older flat shank style.

Found them!   Thorsen's plating wasn't the best from the factory.................these may have a speckle in some spots from humidity over time, or some minute shelf wear, but you can't tell they were ever used.................

Post some pictures!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I'd love to see what you have.  Please let me know if you should have any interest in parting with them - depending on what you have I may have interest.

The Speed-hed patent was granted in 1951, so you have a date range for that one at least....

Astonishing collection Oily....

I always heard your eyes were the SECOND thing to go - not true for me was the first!  Thank you, and Thank you!

It says "Speed-Hed" and the small print says "pat. applied for". They don't show up very often in my neck of the woods.

I'm drooling, Kit!  My tool store run for you today was a flop - story for another venue.
"FORGED IN THE USA" myself.  Be good to your tools!

Garden and Yard Rustfinder Extraordinaire!
http://www.papawswrench.com/vboard/index.php?topic=3717

Offline TOOLHOUND!

« Reply #36 on: July 31, 2012, 08:37:34 PM »

Post some pictures!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I'd love to see what you have.  Please let me know if you should have any interest in parting with them - depending on what you have I may have interest.

Didn't know what to call them, other than raised chrome panel.  Obviously the big box end is not, and the 1/2" breaker bar is simply stamped Thorsen 16 .  All are used.

« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 09:07:59 PM by TOOLHOUND! »

Offline OilyRascal

• Contributor
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 31, 2012, 08:58:35 PM »
Didn't know what to call them, other than raised chrome panel.  Obviously the big box end is not, and the 1/2" breaker bar is simply stamped Thorsen 16 .

Spectacular show of wrenches, Toolhound!  I'm drooling!

Offline TOOLHOUND!

« Reply #38 on: July 31, 2012, 09:06:51 PM »
Bunch of used 3/8" and 1/2" drive sockets.

The deep one on the lower right is a bite to find.............in any brand......shallow or deep..............1-3/16"!!

Offline TOOLHOUND!

« Reply #39 on: July 31, 2012, 09:11:44 PM »
Bunch of used miscellaneous stuff.........................check out the 3019 open end.............few and far between......................the 3 stubby box end at the bottom look to have spent some time outside in the rain/snow.  Sad, don't think they've been used, still in their factory clasp.  Evapo-rust might salvage them, but they'll have some pitting.  The 15/16 at the top only has Thorsen 15/16 stamped on it, no U.S.A.??
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 09:13:30 PM by TOOLHOUND! »

Offline OilyRascal

• Contributor
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 31, 2012, 09:20:05 PM »
Thorsen 15X 3/4" drive, 3-3/4" long, 14.5oz extension marked "Thorsen 15X" - Note here the absence of "Hot Forged" - as was the case with the previously shown 3/4" drive set.

Offline stormking

« Reply #41 on: July 31, 2012, 09:51:48 PM »
Oily, I am very happy with the 3/4" set right now but if I want to part with it I will certainly give you first shot. The hot forge mark is only on the sockets not the drive tools, sorry for any confusion. I have a few early Thorsen pieces you might like to see would it be ok to post them here?
stormking

Offline OilyRascal

• Contributor
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 31, 2012, 10:10:39 PM »
I have a few early Thorsen pieces you might like to see would it be ok to post them here?
stormking

Please do!

Offline stormking

« Reply #43 on: July 31, 2012, 10:51:36 PM »
Short wrench set, appears NOS.

By stormking3 at 2012-07-31
« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 12:22:25 AM by stormking »

Offline stormking

« Reply #44 on: July 31, 2012, 11:13:37 PM »
This is one of my all time favorite sets. This 3/4" drive set dates from the early 30's (I think) or the dawn of Thorsen tools. It has sockets marked TT in a circle and GT in a hexagon. The look and feel of this set says original to me. Alloy Artifacts says there was a connection between Thorsen and General tools of Portland. I think Thorsen or P&C (or both) made tools for General Tool in the 30's. These three companies were fairly well entwined until Plomb bought out P&C in the early 40's. I got this at an estate sale of an old heavy equipment mechanic a few miles from General Tool in Portland.

« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 12:23:44 AM by stormking »