Author Topic: Huber zz488 wrench  (Read 2662 times)

Offline jimwrench

• Contributor
Huber zz488 wrench
« on: October 31, 2011, 04:54:12 PM »
 Anyone know what Huber machine this wrench was used on ? I do like a well marked wrench. I started to say some dim bulb ground a notch in the left hand end but maybe he needed clearance and this made it fit. Rathbone lists this as Huber wrench but has no picture.
Jim
Mr. Dollarwrench

Offline Bus

• Contributor
    • The Wrenchingnews
Re: Huber zz488 wrench
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2011, 09:55:54 PM »
Jim,
It's listed in a in a Parts book for New Huber Engines (1875-1924) as a "Piston and Slide Valve Stuffing Box Wrench". Nice wrench and one I don't have.

Offline john k

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2011, 07:43:05 PM »
The description of Slide Valve Stuffing Box Wrench indicates it was used on a steamer.   The reason it says Piston as well, is because on a steam engine, the piston isn't much more than a plate that is bolted to the cross-head shaft, which is then connected to the connecting rod.  Just in case anybody wondered.
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Offline rusty

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2011, 07:48:00 PM »

I used to like irritating the steam engine collectors by asking them what, precicesly , is the difference between stuffing and packing ; P

Think about how little torque you can apply with that short wrench to a *very important* nut LOL

I wonder if the notch was from accidently leaving it on the nut and starting the engine...hmm
Just a weathered light rust/WD40 mix patina.

Offline john k

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2011, 08:20:16 PM »
Rusty, stuffing is what is put in the bird at thanksgiving, and packing is what the spouse does after she catches a whiff of perfume on your shirt!  Or so I've been told.##########
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Offline Stoney

• Contributor
  • New Market, Alabama
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2011, 05:24:23 PM »
I love that style wrench.  Large openings and short wrench.  Nice find Jimwrench.
"Never laugh at live dragons" Bilbo Baggins "The
Hobbit"

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."
-Thomas Edison

http://www.plantshepherdplus.com