Author Topic: WTB: Atha Hammers  (Read 3382 times)

Offline Twilight Fenrir

WTB: Atha Hammers
« on: October 05, 2016, 07:04:23 PM »
Hello there,

I've been working on replacing all the 'main' hammers in my blacksmith shop with Atha hammers, and there are only two more I need...

The first is a 3lb straight pein.... exactly like this one... (I was the top bidder on the eBay listing it was on from beginning, but someone sniped me in the last 20 seconds, so now I need to look again...)

The second, I've never actually seen an example of, and don't have any pictures for, is a rounding hammer. Somewhere between 2.5lbs and 4lbs.

These will be working tools, so they don't have to be super pretty as long as the working surfaces are good, and free of cracks, as well as having the Atha stamp legible on them. Don't care if they have a handle or not, I have literally cases of new handles...

Willing to pay $50 each, maybe more for a particularly nice example. Also willing to trade for one, I have a ton of antique claw hammer heads, and a handful of other smithing hammers I can spare... I have a Stanley straight pein identical to the one I'm looking for from Atha even. (Yes, I know it's the same company, but I want the 100 year old ones :P)

Offline kayjayjay

Re: WTB: Atha Hammers
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2017, 12:21:14 PM »
Any interest in this one? Very good shape. No cracks, chips, or fractures. Looks even cleaner in person, as photos exaggerate blemishes. Not super motivated to sell it, but will consider.

« Last Edit: May 20, 2017, 12:26:30 PM by kayjayjay »

Offline Twilight Fenrir

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2017, 11:58:44 AM »
Nope, no interest in that one. Looks like an 8lb drilling hammer, and an old one at that judging by the Atha stamp. A nice example, but I've no need for a hammer with two faces.

Thanks for posting though!

Offline wvtools

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2017, 09:12:12 PM »
Is that a 3 or an 8?  It looks like a 3 to me.  The 1939 Stanley catalog lists that short Oregon pattern in 3, 4, 6, 7, 8, 10, and 12 pound sizes.

Offline Twilight Fenrir

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2017, 06:14:11 AM »
Is that a 3 or an 8?  It looks like a 3 to me.  The 1939 Stanley catalog lists that short Oregon pattern in 3, 4, 6, 7, 8, 10, and 12 pound sizes.
Doh! You're right, definitely a 3lber, wow.... I was really out of my head yesterday, didn't sleep mich...

Offline skipskip

• Contributor
  • Glenmont NY USA
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2017, 01:59:23 PM »
Since we are here.

How do you tell an old Atha from a Stanley Atha?

logo change?

thanks

Skip

A place for everything and everything on the floor

Offline bill300d

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2017, 05:33:51 PM »
I have wondered the same thing. There seems to be no concise info that I have found.
A person who could really read human minds would be privileged to gaze on some correct imitations of chaos.

Offline kayjayjay

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2017, 11:40:12 AM »
Good to know. Thanks for the info! Yes, it is a 3 pounder.

Offline kayjayjay

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2017, 11:41:24 AM »
Nope, no interest in that one. Looks like an 8lb drilling hammer, and an old one at that judging by the Atha stamp. A nice example, but I've no need for a hammer with two faces.

Thanks for posting though!
Sure! Good luck!

Offline Twilight Fenrir

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2017, 06:15:19 PM »
Since we are here.

How do you tell an old Atha from a Stanley Atha?

logo change?

thanks

Skip
Logo change to some extent, though I don't know where the definitive breaks are... That one, I am guessing, is quite old because of how primitive the logo is. I have a few hammers that have fairly elaborate Atha logos, which I assume to be a late date.

I've heard that Stanley continued to make Atha tools with only the Atha mark, but so far as I know that's mostly here-say. I HAVE seen tools double-marked Stanley, and Atha.

I'm nowhere near an expert... I just like the feel and design of Atha hammers for use <3