Author Topic: Been looking for a decent home tool box  (Read 11188 times)

Offline Papaw

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Alvin, Texas
    • Papawswrench
Re: Been looking for a decent home tool box
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2014, 08:52:36 AM »
I'll say you have made a great score. The box is cleaning up nicely.
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Flickr page- https://www.flickr.com/photos/nhankamer/

Offline 1930

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2014, 09:38:08 AM »
Heres what I found behind the drawers

And this is why that drawer would not close   Hard to imagine what someone had in this drawer so heavy to of caused that kind of damage. I guess I cant say now though that I dont have the tools handy to fix it.

I wish that this one drawer were not in such rough shape   Normally Id call it character and be happy with it but not this time.

Wasnt even the hammer drawer, not sure what they were dragging out of this drawer.

Im going to brush on wheel bearing grease, roller bearings, seems like the thing to use I guess.
Always looking for what interests me, anything early Dodge Brothers/Graham Brothers trucks ( pre 1932 or so ) and slant six / Super six parts.

Offline 1930

• Contributor
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2014, 09:39:30 AM »
I'll say you have made a great score. The box is cleaning up nicely.
Thanks, stay tuned
Always looking for what interests me, anything early Dodge Brothers/Graham Brothers trucks ( pre 1932 or so ) and slant six / Super six parts.

Offline rusty

« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2014, 09:52:34 AM »
>Hard to imagine what someone had in this drawer so heavy to of caused that kind of damage. ...

I stuck my 3/4 impact gun and socket set in the bottom drawer of my HF cabinet, and the drawer promptly buckled and folded up....
It is easy to forget just how much those tools weigh when you put them all together...

The spongy stuff for kitchen drawers works well for liners, and it is slightly sticky , so the tools don't slide around when you open/close the drawers. They make it in black, and with an open mesh, so the dirt falls through...
Just a weathered light rust/WD40 mix patina.

Offline OilyRascal

• Contributor
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2014, 11:47:51 AM »
Good grief that's a big ole pile of tools.  I like those pneumatic shears.  I absolutely adore the box.

My pop's taught me to let a sleeping dog lie.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 04:28:23 PM by Papaw »
"FORGED IN THE USA" myself.  Be good to your tools!

Garden and Yard Rustfinder Extraordinaire!
http://www.papawswrench.com/vboard/index.php?topic=3717

Offline 1930

• Contributor
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2014, 06:24:50 PM »
This is an honest 11+ hrs work today, no time to even start organizing but at least its back together, everything smooth as silk and its ready to be loaded up.

The carpet idea was taken from a fellow bodyshop guy, it worked nicely for him and I expect the same.

Not sure what the deal is with that wax, rag comes out red so obviously its moving stuff around filling sratches and polishing. It works grreat though as you can see, you have to get right on it now to see even the worst of the chips on that one drawer.

Id like to know I got at least my monies worth so I am anxious to get tools organized in it and really see what I have. I know the box alone is prob. what I paid but Im not counting that at this point since I bought the box and the tools. Id like the tools to justify the cost.

Im sure Im going to have to fill some incomplete sets so Ill be asking for help with that.

« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 06:37:50 PM by 1930 »

Offline lauver

• Belton, TX
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2014, 11:11:26 PM »

That freshly scrubbed cabinet is awesome now; simply gorgeous and ready to rock and roll.

you done really really good.
Member of PHARTS - Pefect Handle Admiration, Restoration, and Torturing Society

Offline 1930

• Contributor
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2014, 05:12:20 AM »

That freshly scrubbed cabinet is awesome now; simply gorgeous and ready to rock and roll.

you done really really good.

Thank-you Lauver

Offline RedVise

• Contributor
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2014, 07:42:09 AM »
I have not seen that drawer set before, I'm liking those right side doors giving you a look at a couple of shelves at one time.

Nice box, and haul of tools !   Don't miss that manifold wrench peeking out at the bottom of that pile o' tools !

Good to hear from you !

Brian

Offline oldtools

• Keep OldTools alive by giving them a purpose
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2014, 03:57:12 PM »
Wow! that's a lot of tools!!! nice restoration on the tool box. (Sorry I mentioned the date stamp.)
Aloha!  the OldTool guy
Master Monkey Wrench Scaler

Offline 1930

• Contributor
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2014, 06:31:58 PM »
I have not seen that drawer set before, I'm liking those right side doors giving you a look at a couple of shelves at one time.

Nice box, and haul of tools !   Don't miss that manifold wrench peeking out at the bottom of that pile o' tools !

Good to hear from you !

Brian

Thanks Brian

Offline Farmall450

« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2014, 06:35:51 PM »
You got a fantastic deal, congrats!

Offline 1930

• Contributor
« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2014, 06:48:35 PM »
Wow! that's a lot of tools!!! nice restoration on the tool box. (Sorry I mentioned the date stamp.)

I am sorry if I jumped to conclusions. I felt that someone was questioning my honesty, maybe thought I was playing games, wasting everyones time, I do not like the thought of someone thinking I would do this sort of thing.

You asked for pictures and here are some, its going to take longer than I thought, I started separating things tonight after work somewhat.

I am at a loss for what some of these things are but luckily alot of its has info stamped into it that I should be able to re-search on-line.

I am looking to get rid of some of this stuff, I would like to trade some of it only, I am not interested in cash deals. I will know more once I get all this organized.

Ni idea yet what all this is, marked OTC though and there is a number on it so I should be able to find it on-line

Looks like I have some spare screwdrivers/nut drivers. Some are snap on, some are mac some I believe need to be cleaned to identify further.

I though this shear was a Mac but I couldnt find that now with a quick look, shame. Some decent extensions though Mac

Things on the right I can only imagine for expanding an exhaust pipe or maybe getting one out of round back to being round? Just a guess, no idea what the yellow handled gimmick is yet, says Mack and a # I need to google it

Miscellaneous stuff, better pictures at a later date

Some of this stuff Im guessing on but Im pretty sure I know but will ask better questions later

Same as above

Some nice Mack air tools

More decent tools

Just about all them hammers Mack. Trading material I am sure. I already have many of them in my work box

Pile is getting smaller

Sockets, I am hoping with these and some Oily sent me a while back I can put together some strings of users

Pliers pile, many unknowns in there

Miscellaneous piles

Same
« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 06:50:20 PM by 1930 »

Offline OilyRascal

• Contributor
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2014, 06:55:34 PM »
that rasp on the right side of the middle drawer has some serious class.
"FORGED IN THE USA" myself.  Be good to your tools!

Garden and Yard Rustfinder Extraordinaire!
http://www.papawswrench.com/vboard/index.php?topic=3717

Offline rusty

« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2014, 07:13:16 PM »
Wait...you got a porta power with that thing also????
Just a weathered light rust/WD40 mix patina.