Author Topic: Jet Jr. Cutter Blades  (Read 3526 times)

Offline ouray19

Jet Jr. Cutter Blades
« on: February 15, 2014, 05:04:39 PM »
Found these in an old tool box I got at a garage sale. Seem to be a set of cutter blades from the Jet Tool Co. and are still very sharp. Measure about 1-3/8" long by 1" wide and about 1/4" thick. Was wondering if anyone knew what type of cutter these would be used in? Not sure if they are for wood, metal or something else. They kind of look like a set of replacement blades for a cable cutter???? Any one got any ideas? Thanks, John.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2014, 05:06:58 PM by ouray19 »
Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

Offline Bill Houghton

Re: Jet Jr. Cutter Blades
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2014, 06:52:43 PM »
They look to me like cutters from either a molding cutter for a table saw:

or bits for a shaper cutter, of the type that clamped two cutters between flanges and scared the hell out of the operator when the flanges got loose and the cutters took off into space.

Is there room in the box for three cutters?  If so, the first idea seems most likely.  I've never seen a molding cutter with two bits, but I suppose that's possible.

Offline ouray19

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2014, 07:20:48 PM »
Thanks Bill. There may be room for a third cutter in the box, but the end of the box says " 1 pair ". That's why I was thinking I had the complete set. The edges have a slight bevel to them like they might fit into a slot or groove and there are small dimple holes where a set screw might be used to hold them in place.
That's a nice collection you show in your picture.

Offline Nolatoolguy

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2014, 09:25:32 PM »
If not for a table saw, I would say radial arm saw.

When I bought my radial arm saw I got some of those in a bucket. To bad the bucket had water in the bottom at one time and everything was rusted.

And I'm proud to be an American,
where at least I know I'm free.
And I won't forget the men who died,
who gave that right to me.
~Lee Greenwood

Offline Chillylulu

• CONTRIBUTOR
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2014, 05:28:28 AM »
They look like the type that fit a Craftsman table saw cutter head with that groove.

I have some I'll dig out.

Chilly

Offline Billman49

• Collector of edged tools, especially billhooks...
    • A Load of Old Billhooks
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2014, 07:39:09 AM »
Called a spindle moulder in the UK.. Cutter heads often only have two blades (see image)..

The ones you have look like they are for making rebated mouldings for sash window bars....

There is a manufacturer of spindle moulding machines called JET - look up JWS-34LX, e.g. http://www.axminster.co.uk/jet-jws-34-lx-spindle-moulder
« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 07:52:43 AM by Billman49 »

Offline Nolatoolguy

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2014, 10:44:03 AM »
Cant remember where the photo came from but I saved it for one reason or another.

And I'm proud to be an American,
where at least I know I'm free.
And I won't forget the men who died,
who gave that right to me.
~Lee Greenwood

Offline scottg

• Grandstaffworks Tools
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2014, 11:37:47 AM »
I expect you are right, Bob. And these particular cutters were made for window frame work.
But they are very nearly overlaid kitchen cabinet lip molding cutters, the most common of all. The cabinet door lip cutters are undercut a little in the lower rabbit part, for clearance, and these appear to be straight across.

The molding heads, whether 1, 2 or 3 cutters sold like hotcakes and still do. They have been sold for years, but on the second hand market you see nearly all of them in --unused-- condition.  Sometimes they are rusted or even pitted up, but never used much if at all.
  Thats because all you have to do is mount one of these things up to an arbor, table or radial arm saw or even a shaper,................. and flip the switch.
 The sound these monsters make coming up to speed is terrifying! Something that large and that wide whizzing razor sharp knives at that speed will back anybody up! Genuinely scary.
  But really you don't see naked knives whizzing on a planer or jointer, so all you really have to do is construct guards and guides to corral the beast. Hearing it is still something, but as long as you don't have to see it, its not so scary.

I have cut many yards and maybe short miles of molding with one of these that takes a single cutter tooth.  I like the single cutters because there are many more patterns made for the single cutter, and especially because its easy to get plain ones and grind your own profiles. You can't grind 3 identical cutters by eye, but you can easily grind one.
 Nearly all router and shaper bits cut relatively tiny profiles. Perfect for a jewelry box or something else you will be viewing from inches away.
  But architecturally, as in underneath a second floor balcony or something, tiny ogees and coves are ineffective. You want big single element profiles if you going to be viewing something from more than a few feet away.
    yours Scott   

« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 11:42:51 AM by scottg »

Offline ouray19

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2014, 11:53:45 AM »
WOW! You guys are incredible and thanks for all the info. Looks like spot on remarks about being router bits for wood working. While they are still very sharp, when I took them out of the box, they appeared to have some marks on them like they had been installed. There also appeared to be what I thought was sawdust but just thought maybe stuff on it from storage.
Since I am not involved with wood working and have no tools for that type of work, if anyone would be interested in these please let me know. For my friends on this forum I would be very reasonable.

Offline Bill Houghton

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2014, 03:54:03 PM »
That's a nice collection you show in your picture.
It is impressive, isn't it?  Too bad it's not mine.

Offline ouray19

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2014, 05:20:38 PM »
Thanks again. Since I don't need them, I guess I'll try Ebay. If anyone is interested in them, please let me know. In fact, if someone can use them, let me know cause I'd let you have them for the cost of postage to get them to you. John