Author Topic: Church sale finds  (Read 1846 times)

Offline Varidrivegt14

Church sale finds
« on: March 05, 2012, 05:50:15 AM »
found a few wrenches at a church sale. got them all for $5. saw the red 10 inch Pexto aside from the stupid paint job someone gave it its a nice wrench. when i got it home i can see the intitials NYNH&H RR. pretty happy to have a nice Pexto fromt he new haven railroad. stupid red paint will be simple to get off. figure its worth the $5 itself!

Offline Papaw

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Alvin, Texas
    • Papawswrench
Re: Church sale finds
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2012, 06:14:06 AM »
Good score! Yes,that pipe wrench is well worth it.
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Flickr page- https://www.flickr.com/photos/nhankamer/

Offline lbgradwell

• Oakville, ON
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2012, 12:47:11 PM »
That is LG-Approved pricing!

Kijiji King

Offline Wrenchmensch

• Contributor
  • Wrenches tell of man's freedom to think
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2012, 04:21:28 PM »
Pexto must have had a special relationship with the New York, New Haven, & Hartford RR (NYNH&HRR in wrenchese).  Here are two shots of a 8-inch Pexto stamped NYNH&HRR which I found in a flea market deep in the loblolly pines at the south end of Maryland's Eastern Shore. How it got there is anybody's guess. For those of you who are not from the Northeast, the NYNH&HRR was one of the postwar commuter railroads that took high earners to work, in New York City, and back home again to their Fairfield County, Connecticut homes in Greenwich, Old Greenwich, Darien, Cos Cob, etc.  The series Mad Men has portrayed this life to TV viewers across the Nation.

Offline amertrac

• Contributor
  • ny mountain man
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2012, 05:42:35 PM »
Commuted for 12 years 70 miles one way .You have to see ny rt 17 between 6 am and 8 am to really appreciate commuting.  bob w.
TO SOON ULD UND TO LATE SCHMART

Offline Wrenchmensch

• Contributor
  • Wrenches tell of man's freedom to think
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2012, 08:33:19 PM »
Bob,

I commuted 61 miles one way for 7 years.  That included the Blue Route on Thursday afternoons when all the dentists were going in my direction but they were heading on to the Jersey Shore. Most of them were tailgaters and driving huge SUVs.  Yep, you got it. One rear end collision after another. Smart guys, but they never figured out that SUVs take a longer distance to stop than sedans do.  Then there were the squads of dump trucks doing 95 mph bumper to bumper in the passing lane on the Northeast Extension in the morning.  All that aside, Route 17 has special conditions like fog, and winter conditions.  I imagine you have a suitcase of still vivid memories about driving to work.

Offline john k

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2012, 09:19:10 PM »
Does this mean you found 3 monkey wrenches, the RR pipe wrench, and pliers all for five bucks?   That just ain't right, not right at all.  At least you have to take the paint off that Pexto, whew, you done good.
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Offline Varidrivegt14

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2012, 06:59:02 AM »
Yes all the wrenches in the pic for $5 a guy in front of me had the New Haven RR wrench in his hand as if he was gonna buy it..."i hope he puts it down" was running threw my head. and when he did i grabbed it as quick as i could LOL... now to get the red paint off... Wrenchmenchen nice Pexto. hope mine looks as nice when im done stripping it