Author Topic: Rare find - 1900's open end wrench from Fairmont Railway Motors Machine Company  (Read 1292 times)

Offline UncleBill

I originally posted this on Pictures Forum but thought I would update the info on this find for anyone who might have one or come across one.  I am interested to hear if anyone has another tool from the same company.  Please let me know.

Fairmont (not Fairmount) open end wrench 3 7/8" stamped with Fairmont in cursive writing.

I believe it is made around 1910 due to the fact it is much thicker then the VLCHECK made in the 20's that I show in the picture.  The construction of the VLCHECK looks the same and the item came from a bulk purchase of old 1920's - 1940's tools from an estate sale in the Santa Barbara area.

I did send the picture to the museum to see if they can correctly date the wrench.

Fairmont Railway Motors, first known as the Fairmont Machine Company, started as a small machine shop in the 1900's making things such as single cylinder engines used mainly to pump water, saw wood, etc. Fairmont Railway Motors has evolved into Harsco Rail, a division of Harsco Corporation, one of the largest railroad maintenance equipment companies in the western hemisphere.

Link to Martin County Historical Society, Fairmont MN.
http://fairmont.org/mchs/rwmotors.htm

Offline turnnut

thanks for the link to the Fairmont Museum,  I can remember seeing the workers moving on those yellow cars.

the crew could lift them off the tracks if a train was coming. as a kid, I longed for a ride on one, but never got it.

Offline UncleBill

I found out some new info. My inquiry to the historical museum was forwarded to the Harsco Corporation.  They said there was a tool kit that consisted of a tool box, spacer, grease gun, drawstring bag, ball peen hammer, pliers, standard screw driver, four open end wrenches (7/16 x 3/8, 9/16 x 1/2, 3/4 x 5/8, 7/8 x 3/16).  Most of the tools were made by Fairmount and VLCHECK. They also said the wrenches were made by VLCHECK.

Offline bill300d

Great info and nice of the museum to forward your questions to Harsco for the answer I can't believe they still know what was in the kit. Not hard to see that Vlchek made that wrench, it's a dead ringer for one. Now get out there and find the rest of it.
A person who could really read human minds would be privileged to gaze on some correct imitations of chaos.