Author Topic: My first 3/4" Socket wrench! (And extension)  (Read 3488 times)

Offline Twilight Fenrir

My first 3/4" Socket wrench! (And extension)
« on: January 26, 2015, 06:25:12 PM »
Today I managed to pick up my first 3/4" socket wrench! I've always wanted one, but could never justify the expense. But, after breaking my 2 S-K 1/2" drives, and one 1/2" breaker bar trying to get the lug nuts off my truck, I decided that was justification enough for a bigger wrench.

I traded a few bits of electronics I had laying around gathering dust for it... But I'm tickled pink with my new Armstrong 13-906! I also got a 16" Proto 5663 extension bar with it. I know quite a few people on here collect Proto tools, so if anyone wants it, I'll trade it for any other brand of U.S. made 3/4" extension bar. Preferably 8-10" long.

Now I just need to find some sockets!

Offline Ken W.

• CONTRIBUTOR
  • Contributor
Re: My first 3/4" Socket wrench! (And extension)
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2015, 07:09:45 PM »
You got some good stuff these. I buy some of my 3/4" drive sockets off either Ebay or Craigslist. The rest comes from estate or garage sale or pawn shops.

Offline EVILDR235

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2015, 09:08:49 PM »
Notice Armstrong used Proto's ratchet design and added a detent ball to help cut down on accidental direction change. I have the 3/8 inch Armstrong model of that. Yours is the first 3/4 inch drive Armstrong in that model that i have seen. I have never seen a 1/2 drive model. I offen wondered if Armstrong had Proto make the ratchet for them with the detent ball upgrade. Plomb  / Proto  has a history of making tools for other tool companies.

EvilDr235

Offline slip knot

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2015, 09:54:24 PM »
Thats a nice ratchet you have. The smaller 3/4 sockets are somewhat reasonable new. as they get bigger in size, bigger in $$$ but for a pickup lugnut it shouldn't be too costly. I also look at the estate and garage sales for my 3/4 stuff.

Offline J.Musgrove

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2015, 06:51:23 AM »
I have I'm willing to part with sk 1-7/8 47160, Sparta 1-11/16 ch1254, Sparta 1-7/16 ch1246, kd 1-5/16 54 3142, wright 1-3/8 6844, craftsman 1-1/2, craftsman 1", blackhawk 1", and American Forge 1" 6232
I got some more just got to find them
"Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."
                                     Thomas Caryle

Offline Twilight Fenrir

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2015, 07:55:30 PM »
You got some good stuff these. I buy some of my 3/4" drive sockets off either Ebay or Craigslist. The rest comes from estate or garage sale or pawn shops.

Don't I know it! :D I'm becoming more and more a fan of Armstrong, as I find more and more of my grandfathers tools are their brand. The newest incarnation of this wrench is $200 o_o I took it apart and cleaned and greased it.. thing is built like a tank! This thing makes my formerly giant 1/2" drive 16" S-K wrench feel, and look like a child's toy by comparison. I find it surprisingly difficult to fathom. I can't even BEGIN to imagine 1" drives, or 2" O_O

Don't know any of the manufacturing specifics... I have my Grandpa's Snap-On 71-M 1/2" wrench that has a similar body style, but the internal workings are completely different. I'd really like to get the parts to fix that. I know I have several ratchets that drive me nuts when I accidentally flip the switch... so the detent is a good idea imo. I'm very impressed with the simplicity, and quality of its design.

I found a mostly complete 21-piece 3/4" set at an antique shop today for $50. I passed on it, though... they were some of the cheapest sockets and wrenches I've ever seen. With the largest "CHINA" stamps I've ever seen XD

These might be a good set for $40... One of the reviewers mentioned using them with a 1400 Ft/lb impact wrench... I'll never be putting THAT much force into them.

http://www.harborfreight.com/hand-tools/sockets-ratchets/8-pc-34-in-drive-sae-impact-socket-set-67960.html

Thanks for the offer Musgrove. I'm hoping to find a reasonable set... but the only size I REALLY need is the 1 1/16".

« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 07:58:05 PM by Twilight Fenrir »

Offline J.Musgrove

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2015, 08:44:31 PM »
No problem if I come across any Armstrong sets or a 1-1/16 I'll let you know
"Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."
                                     Thomas Caryle

Offline 1930

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2015, 04:13:42 AM »

Don't I know it! :D I'm becoming more and more a fan of Armstrong, as I find more and more of my grandfathers tools are their brand. The newest incarnation of this wrench is $200 o_o I took it apart and cleaned and greased it.. thing is built like a tank! This thing makes my formerly giant 1/2" drive 16" S-K wrench feel, and look like a child's toy by comparison. I find it surprisingly difficult to fathom. I can't even BEGIN to imagine 1" drives, or 2" O_O

Don't know any of the manufacturing specifics... I have my Grandpa's Snap-On 71-M 1/2" wrench that has a similar body style, but the internal workings are completely different. I'd really like to get the parts to fix that. I know I have several ratchets that drive me nuts when I accidentally flip the switch... so the detent is a good idea imo. I'm very impressed with the simplicity, and quality of its design.

I found a mostly complete 21-piece 3/4" set at an antique shop today for $50. I passed on it, though... they were some of the cheapest sockets and wrenches I've ever seen. With the largest "CHINA" stamps I've ever seen XD

These might be a good set for $40... One of the reviewers mentioned using them with a 1400 Ft/lb impact wrench... I'll never be putting THAT much force into them.

http://www.harborfreight.com/hand-tools/sockets-ratchets/8-pc-34-in-drive-sae-impact-socket-set-67960.html

Thanks for the offer Musgrove. I'm hoping to find a reasonable set... but the only size I REALLY need is the 1 1/16".

A few years ago Harbor freight had a 3/4 drive set, wrench and sockets, beefy and I wish they were still avail, I need that set
Always looking for what interests me, anything early Dodge Brothers/Graham Brothers trucks ( pre 1932 or so ) and slant six / Super six parts.

Offline bunger

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2015, 10:21:37 AM »
A few years ago Harbor freight had a 3/4 drive set, wrench and sockets, beefy and I wish they were still avail, I need that set

Someone gave me a set for free a few years ago. At least I think they are Harbor Freight.
2" down to 7/8" sockets, 3" extension, sliding bar and the ratchet. In a red metal box.
All marked "H" + TAIWAN
Milk crate suckage winner for February 2012

Member of PHARTS -  Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society