Author Topic: Few tools for ID  (Read 3131 times)

Offline lptools

• Global Moderator
Re: Few tools for ID
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2017, 04:00:25 PM »
Hello, I have no idea, but a few more pictures from different angles will help. Regards, Lou
Member of PHARTS-  Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Offline garwein

« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2017, 10:20:59 PM »
« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 10:22:46 PM by garwein »

Offline garwein

« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2017, 10:26:20 PM »
Applying pressure to the silver plate forces the gauge dial to go up, so it's some kind of pressure gauge. Just wondering what it might be for though.

Offline Chillylulu

• CONTRIBUTOR
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2017, 10:44:30 AM »
What about this force pressure gauge? What's that used for? The attachment is all aluminum.

Anything.
That guage is a pretty common item, used on everything from steam heating equipment, oil field equipment,  or anywhere you need to measure less than 600 psi.  We use lower pressures in fire protection. Most older ones were 300 psi, if I am remembering correctly.

Chilly

Offline garwein

« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2017, 12:37:59 PM »
I understand the function of the gauge component, what I was wondering about is what is the physical pressure or weight component that is screwed in to the gauge. Closest I've gotten is something that looks similar - a pressure conversion gauge - https://www.wolterpyrotools.com/?page=cc_catg&catn=750

Offline Chillylulu

• CONTRIBUTOR
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2017, 08:51:43 PM »
Sorry,  I hadn't noticed the 2nd sheet.  :embarrassed:

It can be used for a lot of purposes for checking force or weight.  Technically, you could use it as a torque wrench, but not very accurately with that guage.

If you know the area of the piston face, multiply that by the guage reading to get the force applied to the bottom side of the tool.

If the piston face us 1/2 sq, in. and the guage reads 100 psi you are applying 50 pounds per square inch of force.

I guess sonetines you may want to apply an exact force to a part. Maybe it can be used on a press between the ram and a part? Another use could be to make sure weight is distributed equally between various points.

Be careful though, a 1/2" piston face is close to 1/4 sq. in.  I always think of it this way, in a 1" square there are four 1/2" squares. Circles are a little different - radius squared times pi.

I hope I'm accurate,  my brains fried. Big tool day for me and it wore me out. It seems like a pretty specialized tool, but it also seems more accurate than a spring mechanism.
I wonder how it would perform compared to electronic force measuring tools.

Chilly