Author Topic: My Orphan Hammer  (Read 2544 times)

Offline OilyRascal

• Contributor
    • Facebook Profile
My Orphan Hammer
« on: September 19, 2012, 09:27:01 PM »
I bought this hammer at an estate auction earlier this year.  I bought it because of the shape of the ball.  It was ugly ugly, but cleaned up with Murphy's soap.  I was hopeful markings would surface with cleaning but that was not the case.  I'm unable to find any information as to it's maker or age.  Any help in identifying it would be appreciated.  It will now go back to the drawer as a worker.  My apology in advance for the crap pictures.  I will get better pictures taken for the thread.

"FORGED IN THE USA" myself.  Be good to your tools!

Garden and Yard Rustfinder Extraordinaire!
http://www.papawswrench.com/vboard/index.php?topic=3717

Offline oldtools

• Keep OldTools alive by giving them a purpose
Re: My Orphan Hammer
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2012, 11:15:35 PM »
Interesting ball...
What size & weight?
Aloha!  the OldTool guy
Master Monkey Wrench Scaler

Offline anglesmith

• Mid Northcoast NSW Australia
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2012, 11:37:14 PM »
This one has been turned in a lathe, has to be home or trainee shop made! Not only is it an orphan it's a one off and totally unique. The ball reminds me of the teat of baby's bottle or soother!!  Maybe that's just my warped mind, but anyway it is a nice useable hammer.
Graeme

Offline Branson

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2012, 08:55:23 AM »
Had to think about "soother" for a minute.  Us Yanks call them pacifiers. 

Are you sure it had to be made on a lathe, as a project?  Very well done, if so.  It has certainly been used in its life, but has none of the mushrooming so often seen in examples of training projects.

But who cares in the end?  It's a gorgeous hammer, one I couldn't possibly pass up in the wild, and obviously well made.

Offline anglesmith

• Mid Northcoast NSW Australia
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2012, 04:49:48 PM »
 Branson,   Yes I think we call them pacifiers also,  the real Ozzie name for them is "dummy" but I think the political correct police have probably stamped on that one!
Back to the hammer, the eye has the look of being machined not punched , you maybe could file and emery up the ball but I don't know how you could get those fine grooves without a lathe.  The how and the why might remain mystery but it is a nice well made useable stylish hammer.
Graeme

Offline OilyRascal

• Contributor
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2012, 09:09:17 PM »
I appreciate the comments so far.  I was surely hoping to learn more.  I suppose in the end it does not matter, as I will graciously provide it a home for the remainder of my days. 

Interesting ball...
What size & weight?

31.9 ounces and 14-1/2" long

This one has been turned in a lathe, has to be home or trainee shop made! Not only is it an orphan it's a one off and totally unique. The ball reminds me of the teat of baby's bottle or soother!!  Maybe that's just my warped mind, but anyway it is a nice useable hammer.
Graeme

Do you think it is possible it is a mass produced hammer modified on a lathe? 

We call them pacifiers :)

"FORGED IN THE USA" myself.  Be good to your tools!

Garden and Yard Rustfinder Extraordinaire!
http://www.papawswrench.com/vboard/index.php?topic=3717