Author Topic: Metrics in the world of 4-inch wrenches.  (Read 1550 times)

Offline Wrenchmensch

• Contributor
  • Wrenches tell of man's freedom to think
Metrics in the world of 4-inch wrenches.
« on: July 02, 2011, 01:33:08 PM »
Today's find at the flea was a run-of-the-mill one dollar Craftsman 4-inch wrench, in recoverable condition (top picture).  Or so I thought. 

Only when I began restoring this jasper, did I discover how different 4-inchers have become.  Embossed on the front side of the wrench, besides Craftsman, was "100 mm" and code letters, a "K" and a "V".  The standard "4 IN." legend is now embossed on the backside of the wrench, with the message "Forged USA" (leaving out the word "in"), and another set of code letters, a "W" and an "F".

Today's wrench differs from the older Craftsman 4-incher I have.  Pictures show some differences. Folks didn't fear prepositions like "in" in years past, for example.   

The other differences are in weight and length, the 100mm wrench having less of both. The 100 mm wrench vs. the older 4-inch wrench compare as follows: 1.25 ozs. (100 mm) vs. 1.4 ozs (4-inch), and 4 3/8" (100 mm) vs. 4 9/16" (4-inch).  For the record, today's wrench is 108 mm long, and the older Craftsman is 109.5 mm long.  Four inches is equivalent to 101.6 mm +/-.

I spent $1 on today's modern 100mm 4-incher, so I'm not complaining. I wonder, however, can anyone explain to me how is less more, and why is Sears writing code on its wrench?
« Last Edit: July 02, 2011, 03:43:55 PM by Wrenchmensch »

Offline Tool Pants

Re: Metrics in the world of 4-inch wrenches.
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2011, 02:16:03 PM »
The one with = = and the Y-circle is older.  I do not have a 4 incher with a Y-circle like you have, but I have 8" Dunlap and Craftsman with the = = and Y-circle.  No one knows for sure who made the Y-circle tools for Sears.  I have seen an old Y-circle Craftsman pipe wrench at the flea market.

The newer one you have with W F is for Western Forge - that is why it has the metric size.  But just today I saw a 8" = = with W F, so it appears that for some time after Western Forge took over production the = = continued to be used.

First pic is my little collection of 4 inchers.  Second and third are the 8" Dunlap and Craftsman with the = = and Y-circle.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2011, 02:26:29 PM by Tool Pants »

Offline bonneyman

Re: Metrics in the world of 4-inch wrenches.
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2011, 04:14:02 PM »
I think I have a Y-circle 4" C-man (or maybe it's a 6"?). I've got so many of the smaller crescent wrenches tucked away it's hard to remember what I've got.
Ratchet Guru