Author Topic: cornsheller wrench combo tool question  (Read 5035 times)

Offline rustcollector

cornsheller wrench combo tool question
« on: April 30, 2013, 06:16:19 PM »
The opportunity to purchase one of these is near in the future. My question is how much is it really worth? I'd be willing to pay a very decent price for it because I like it, but don't want to pay double what it's worth if I can wait a year or few years and find one cheaper. It is the first I've seen, but I do know one sold on ebay in the past, and one was sold on one of the antique tool type places on the internet before. Just couldn't find a price on either one of those.

Anybody know

Offline Branson

Re: cornsheller wrench combo tool question
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2013, 08:37:19 AM »
The question is, as with all old, unusual tools, "When will you see one again?"  I just paid a completely ridiculous price for a putty knife, but it had a ,matching lignum vita handle to a different putty knife I already had and love.  Both are beautiful, and I knew I would *never* see another.   I suspect both were re-handled by the same fellow, and became separated in the past.

Offline johnsironsanctuary

• Contributor
  • Super Contributor and Geezer in training
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2013, 11:30:21 AM »
That wrench looks like it slices, dices and even makes Julian fries. Pull the trigger. If you don't, you will never see another. If you do, there will be one on fleaybay for $3.99 next week. If it is that cheap, buy that one too, you will then have cornered the market and you can fund your retirement selling one off.
Top monkey of the monkey wrench clan

Offline mvwcnews

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2013, 06:02:55 PM »
It's a 1926 design patent (http://www.datamp.org/patents/search/advance.php?pn=D70218&id=13834&set=225 ) -- I have not seen or heard of very many.

Offline rustcollector

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2013, 06:16:38 PM »
Thanks for the info everyone. I am prepared to pay pretty dearly for this contraption. At least to an extent anyway, I have a figure in mind and if it goes beyond that, good for the person that can afford to pay it, they can have it. If I am fortunate enough to get it, I'll post some clearer pictures then.

Offline mikeswrenches

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2013, 07:34:30 PM »
I would think that this is a rare item.  Hand held corn shellers are very collectible and very expensive, to have one in combination with other tools would seem to me to make it even more desirable.

There is a book on hand held corn shellers that would probably shed more light on this contrivance, unfortunately I do not have a copy of it.

Mike
Check out my ETSY store at: OldeTymeTools

Offline Lewill2

• Bucks County PA
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2013, 07:55:03 PM »
If I remember correctly I have seen 2 on eBay in the last maybe 5 years. I want one too. I have a few other corn shellers as well as Jim Moffit's book. I believe one sold earlier this year on eBay for around $1,200.00 or $1,300.00. A rubber band is supposed to go around the ears at the corn sheller end. I always figured you could find some type of "O" ring that would do the job for a display. I've never seen one to hold.

Offline rustcollector

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2013, 08:21:59 PM »
If I remember correctly I have seen 2 on eBay in the last maybe 5 years. I want one too. I have a few other corn shellers as well as Jim Moffit's book. I believe one sold earlier this year on eBay for around $1,200.00 or $1,300.00. A rubber band is supposed to go around the ears at the corn sheller end. I always figured you could find some type of "O" ring that would do the job for a display. I've never seen one to hold.

For that kind of money I won't own one.

Offline rusty

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2013, 08:33:00 PM »
For that kind of money you could own the entire cornfield ;P

Never fails, I see something really neat, fall in love, then find out the price tag has twice as many zero's on the end than I would have ever guessed...

Take a shot, sellers don't always know what buyers know.....
Just a weathered light rust/WD40 mix patina.

Offline rustcollector

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2013, 08:49:27 PM »
Lewill2 I sent you a pm.

I am anxious to see what it does sell for now, whether I get it or not.

Offline jimwrench

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2013, 02:50:56 PM »
 A brand new one sold for 25 cents retail or 35 cents shipped originally. Odd how some things lose value when they are used and some things appreciate. Neat piece.
Jim
Mr. Dollarwrench

Offline Lewill2

• Bucks County PA
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2013, 06:33:31 PM »
The Harrisburg Family Corn Sheller Company, Harrisburg PA, marketed a similar one patent 105,825 patented July 26, 1870, to W. A. Middleton. It was just a sheller no other uses.

H. S. Gilbert has the patent for the one shown above, it is a design patent and was marketed as a 7 in one tool, Wrench, Corn Sheller, Hammer, Tack Puller, Meat Beater and Plate Lifter. H. S. Gilbert Feed Store Chambersburg PA was also the main marketer of this one. Of course Chambersburg is right next to Haarrisburg. The corn sheller section is the same basic design, different number of teeth is about all.

The above info was found in Jim Moffet's book on corn shellers. 

Offline rustcollector

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2013, 02:04:37 PM »
$950 and I don't own it. Don't need or want it to that extreme. Auctioneer said to watch the cornsheller collection auction they have in Indiana every year, he thinks it might be headed out to that.