Author Topic: Basic Primer on Farm and Implement wrenches please  (Read 2041 times)

Offline skipskip

• Contributor
  • Glenmont NY USA
Basic Primer on Farm and Implement wrenches please
« on: March 06, 2014, 09:55:40 PM »
I see threads with pics of wrenches and wonder, whats the difference between that and a buggy wrench?

Or why is that called a plow wrench

Or do silo wrenches really tighten things on silos?

Would one or two of you take a few minutes to show some pics and do a bit of educating on the basic types of wrenches?

I don't need all the ins and outs or the brand Id's, just paint a broad picture of the different types.

thanks

Skip
A place for everything and everything on the floor

Offline Chillylulu

• CONTRIBUTOR
Re: Basic Primer on Farm and Implement wrenches please
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2014, 11:46:26 PM »
I'll second that

Offline rustcollector

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2014, 05:45:00 AM »
I will try to do something tonight after work skip.

Offline Carl Wagner

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2014, 08:34:06 AM »
Back in the day there was no standard on the sizes of nuts and bolts. The implement companys cut their own bolts. So each company had a different size. So if you bought for example a John Deere sulky plow it would have come with a wrench or two that fit the bolts on that model of machine. Same with a buggy. Some mfgrs jobbed out buggy wrenchs. When you hear someone talk about a buggy wrench they're talking about a wrench to remove the center nut on the wheels, with a couple other openings usually for whatever else. Silo wrenchs were the same deal. Bought a John Deere King Corn Silo?? You need a wrench to tighten the big band that goes around it to hold the wooden staves together. And so on. That's the quick version.....
Life is hard. Its harder if your stupid.- John Wayne

Offline Carl Wagner

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2014, 08:42:37 AM »
Top is a John Deere plow wrench. Second is three different Joy buggy wheel wrenchs. Third is another farm implement wrench.
Life is hard. Its harder if your stupid.- John Wayne