Author Topic: How much do we know about the Syracuse 154 wrench?  (Read 2724 times)

Offline rustcollector

How much do we know about the Syracuse 154 wrench?
« on: February 22, 2014, 07:45:25 PM »
The standard 154 Syracuse-Deere wrench is pretty common, however, I found a possible variant to the wrench today and wonder if Bus, Stan or Wayne Dill can confirm my thoughts on it. I'll have to Email a picture to Wayne sometime too.
The top wrench, while pitted all to crap, is exactly the same sizes and length, but has a loop handle instead of a open end on it. Also has the number 154 on it, but the picture is harder to see than in person. I know it's not in Rathbone's, (at least not where I would expect it to be) and not in Wayne's last published list, but have they or anybody else seen this one yet? Maybe Bus can ask Russ Marshall if he's seen it too, if none of you have.

And while I'm on the subject, what were the 154SC wrenches issued with? Or what parts book did they find it in?
« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 07:49:35 PM by rustcollector »

Offline Carl Wagner

Re: How much do we know about the Syracuse 154 wrench?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2014, 10:03:17 PM »
That's one of those "lucky dog" finds there. Unknown Deere wrenchs are not an every day occurrence.
Life is hard. Its harder if your stupid.- John Wayne

Offline rustcollector

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2014, 05:01:23 PM »
Since I haven't had much response here, I sent along a picture of it to Wayne Dill to see what he knows. I know with Wayne's health and all it might take him a bit to get back to me on it.

Offline rustcollector

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2014, 08:53:37 PM »
Wayne was able to get back to me tonight. He has the same 154 variant but can find no proof as of yet to it belonging to Deere. He did say he has it hanging with his Deere wrenches though, so I think he feels the same as me... There is a connection somewhere, just finding the written proof is going to be challenging if not impossible.

Offline Bus

• Contributor
    • The Wrenchingnews
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2014, 12:27:17 AM »
And while I'm on the subject, what were the 154SC wrenches issued with? Or what parts book did they find it in?

The only reference for the 154 wrench that I know of is that it is listed in the 1923 Syracuse Catalog No. 31 for the Success Manure Spreader.

Haven't seen your variation before. Russ hasn't replied yet.

Offline rustcollector

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2014, 07:25:50 AM »
Thank you Bus. Wish my wrench was in better condition, but at least I know there is 2 out there which means there is most likely more and maybe I can find a better one someday.
Pure speculation on my part... I wonder if they made these first, then realized they needed an open end on it and switched to the known common 154? So I'll have to search for one of the very first Success manure spreader catalogs and see if I can ever match it up. Doubt it will happen though.

Offline Carl Wagner

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2014, 12:56:07 PM »
I wish you much success in your search for the Success.
Life is hard. Its harder if your stupid.- John Wayne

Offline rustcollector

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2014, 06:09:10 PM »
very nice play on words there Carl.