Author Topic: Old Farm Tool  (Read 2460 times)

Offline GaryD

Old Farm Tool
« on: August 18, 2013, 09:59:54 AM »
Picked this up in a barn in Iowa.  Guessing it was for cutting hay or corn stalks.  Anybody know for sure?  The tips were filed very sharp.

Offline mvwcnews

Re: Old Farm Tool
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2013, 01:11:07 PM »
Since it was blacksmith made, and intended for foot power, it could also be for cutting off weeds at the root, etc.  Whatever that particular farmer felt a need for.
I could use something on the same line for grubbing volunteer trees out of  shrubs & flower beds.  A 2nd year hackberry or mulberry is darned tough to pull without severing the tap root.

Offline nick

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2013, 03:18:58 PM »
I live on a farm in Iowa.and do not know what it is-----but not made by International Harvester
previous post makes sence

Offline Billman49

• Collector of edged tools, especially billhooks...
    • A Load of Old Billhooks
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2013, 12:33:28 PM »
I'd go for cutting roots as well - for use below ground level - it's too small to be a hayknife, and grass or hay is so easy to cut with a sickle

Offline mvwcnews

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2013, 04:00:52 PM »
Since it was blacksmith made, and intended for foot power, it could also be for cutting off weeds at the root, etc.  Whatever that particular farmer felt a need for.
I could use something on the same line for grubbing volunteer trees out of  shrubs & flower beds.  A 2nd year hackberry or mulberry is darned tough to pull without severing the tap root.
I took another look & thought of European stock feeding practices that many have initially carried over to the U.S. .. so now I also suggest "turnip grubber" or "turnip lifter" -- get them up out of the ground for sheep or cattle to chew on. 

Offline Billman49

• Collector of edged tools, especially billhooks...
    • A Load of Old Billhooks
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2013, 09:26:46 AM »
Turnip and beet grow well up in the soil - shepherds in the UK used a two pronged hook about 18" handle, 3" tynes to pull them out of the ground after the sheep had first eaten the green tops off... No need to dig them out...

Offline wvtools

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2013, 07:06:52 AM »
It looks like an early hay knife to me.  What does the top end look like?

Hay knives were used to cut compacted hay out of haystacks, not to cut standing hay.

Offline GaryD

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2013, 03:08:25 PM »
Other end is just a straight wood handle about 4 feet long.  It does make sense it would be for cutting compacted hay, and that is what the old guy I got it from said it probably was.  Just have not seen any others quite like it.