Author Topic: Planes  (Read 10294 times)

Offline radguy

Re: Planes
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2011, 09:19:50 PM »
I have two electric door planes. One is a Rockwell and one is a Stanley. Both have the attachments for both the door plane and cutting the mortices for the hinges.

Stanley

If I get the time I will dig the Rockwells out.

Dan

Offline bird

• Contributor
  • Resident Rambler
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2011, 01:10:24 AM »
OK, those "electric planers" look like the monsters I would dream about at night!!!! I keep an old block plane in my car. I can't tell you how many times persons have asked, "does anyone have a belt sander?"  Someone may say, "oh, I have one, do you have an extension cord?" 
       "What are you trying to do?"
"I have to take a little bit of wood off this side ...."
     "I have a block plane in my car, just hold on a minute."
 By the time someone looks for an electric so and so, I've solved the problem with an old block plane I keep in my car.
       Once again, I tell my friends, "Electricity has nothin' on hand tools!".
     I always get the same look: "what the hell did you just do?  And what did you do it with?"
I continually find myself saying, " I used what the rest of the world has been using sense the beginning of time...... you're way behind the times."
cheers, bird
Silent bidder extraordinaire!
"Aunt birdie, I think you're the best loser ever!!!!!!"

Offline Papaw

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Alvin, Texas
    • Papawswrench
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2011, 06:34:03 AM »
Way to go, Jenny! I do that with an eggbeater drill quite often, who needs electricity or batteries?
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Flickr page- https://www.flickr.com/photos/nhankamer/

Offline Branson

« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2011, 07:16:15 AM »
Way to go, Jenny! I do that with an eggbeater drill quite often, who needs electricity or batteries?

A lot of my tools are cordless.  Cordless planes, cordless drills, cordless hammers....

Offline bird

• Contributor
  • Resident Rambler
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2011, 02:31:27 AM »
Bird wrote:

"Planes with a "wood bottom" have the advantage of being able to be "jointed" flat, again.  As for plane irons, that's an whole other story. I am probably amongst the few persons that believes planes can always become "usable" again." 

Sounds true to me.  I chuckle reading the old Audel's Carpentry Manual.  The author writes that you should have a metal plane so that you can true up the wooden planes that are best to use.  Not that he's opinionated...

Especially in my student days, the tools I could afford came from yard sales and flea markets.  Had to make a lot of them usable again.  Shoot, 25 years ago my Stanley 5 1/2 C fell off the back of a fork lift and snapped at the throat.  Got it brazed back together and it has remained one of my favorite planes.

You're kidding me!  I've got this old Fulton plane that must be a no 8.  It's in great condition, but has  a crack in the body.... I didn't think it was possible to "weld" ...or,  i guess "braze" it back together..... how do you go about doing that?  I guess you find someone with the skills to make that repair?

Offline bird

• Contributor
  • Resident Rambler
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2011, 02:35:16 AM »
Thank you, Scott,
  I have/ had  never heard of an" electric plane" before. I guess I'm both happy and proud that I have the "non-electric" hand planes to use!!!
cheers, bird

A funny and sad story regarding electric planes.   Some years ago, a fellow bought a new front door (before the days when commercial doors came with the frame regularly).  The company sent the door with a fellow to install and fit it.  The guy who brought the door discovered that he hadn't brought his electric plane.  The customer offered him a well tuned Stanley to use instead.  The installer didn't know how to use the Stanley, and drove back to the shop, 30 minutes each way, to get the electric plane.

Sheesh!  I had a licensed contractor once ask me why the plane he had just bought had two blades.  I had to explain to him that it had only one blade, that the other thing was a cap iron...
[/quote]

Yep, as a young'in ,  I'm proud to say I use hand planes.... and I know what a frog, cap iron, blade, lateral adj, ect...... Yeah... I'm proud of myself !!!!LOL

Offline scottg

• Grandstaffworks Tools
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2011, 08:54:57 PM »
Well you guys know I love my planes. I make them from scratch for heavens sake! 
  I keep some handy everywhere.

But that electric early electric plane is a red hot collectible right now.
Probably $200-300.
 If the Rockwell is as old and nice as this, its hot property too.
  yours Scott

Offline rusty

« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2011, 10:09:12 PM »

Well, that blows my 'cheap planer' idea all to heck ; P
Just a weathered light rust/WD40 mix patina.